Home General Discussion

How sexy is TOO sexy

So I am making armor. I make guy armor then have to usually convert it for females. Sometimes feminizing it means making it "sexier" meaning less clothing. Now the troublesome part is some people are super offended by this and the age old argument starts, why does the female needs to have less of anything at any point ever compared to the guys. (even if there is an option to NOT be less covered or to wear something that is under the exposed areas is not enough) thoughts?

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6550847/female-armor-sucks

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Take a look at the armor sets that Haikai posted from Guild Wars 2. You don't need to show more skin to make something look feminine and appealing, you just need to adjust the proportions and the types of clothing so they look like they belong on a female.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [php][/php]that's what sorta funny is that I super agree, but then the outfit with the girl in the white box (even the one to the left of that one)even the chest exposed for cleavage in the Orrian set, even having her legs more exposed and not the guy or even the chest expoed for cleavage in the Orrian set sometimes get people heated. That was the grey are that some people go nuts over, I didn't know if any other artist deal with this. I don't even know what to say in a situation where people are saying "well your a male, you don't know who it feels"
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    The biggest complaints i've got for overly sexy stuff were from christian/whiteknight males. lol

Anyway, you could try reading this (warning: links within will lead to your day wasted)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    when a girl flashes me her polys i think its gone a bit too far
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    This is my favorite concept art site (next to concept ships) but it has awesome references of women looking bad ass in armour without being gross. http://womenfighters.tumblr.com/
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    If you're talking about armor, I think it's too "sexy" when it looks like you'd lose a fight with an unusually sharp clawed squirrel.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I feel that most gamers would agree less armor and less practical armor just for sex appeal sometimes makes the fantasy world less believable and ruins the immersion. You can make a character sexy and feminine by more than just the look.
  • Playdo
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show as much as you want...

Everything is fair game in male designs, I don't see why we should be reinforcing a double standard for women. Like Leilei said, the overwhelming majority of your complaints will be from men who think they have to protect the weak and fragile women from their sexuality.

If you're doing this for your portfolio I'd suggest trying to demonstrate variety though.

Almost all fantasy armor designs are immersion breaking, the weapons are generally even worse. A third person camera is often immersion breaking... so are minimaps, bad voice acting, fast-travel, and basically all combat mechanics in every game (except for maybe demon/dark souls) ever and most combat animation. The OVERWHELMING majority of games are not immersive and it has nothing to do with how much armor the characters are wearing and everything to do with the fact that immersion isn't always good or fun.

More polycount reading on this: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86457
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    There is no answer. Large groups of people never agree on anything even slightly related to sexuality. Much of the world, if not most of the world, still believe that sexuality itself is a sin and women are inherently sinful.

You can't reconcile that.

Do what you want or what fits the game best.

(and the sexiest female character is one with a good personality)
  • jocz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    off topic:
    where can i see that morrigan you got as avatar ?
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz wrote: »
    off topic:
    where can i see that morrigan you got as avatar ?
    He posted it in the waywo thread if you wanna go digging :) (it's relatively (2~ weeks?) recent)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    ErichWK wrote: »
    This is my favorite concept art site (next to concept ships) but it has awesome references of women looking bad ass in armour without being gross. http://womenfighters.tumblr.com/

Ha, I was going to post this exact same tumblr!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    acc wrote: »
    There is no answer. Large groups of people never agree on anything even slightly related to sexuality. Much of the world, if not most of the world, still believe that sexuality itself is a sin and women are inherently sinful.

You can't reconcile that.

Do what you want or what fits the game best.

(and the sexiest female character is one with a good personality)

This.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Try something new. Most developers I've run into are getting pretty tired of metal bras.

How about something, you know, functional.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Also, for what its worth, more about femininity or masculinity can be conferred by motion and posing than all the cleavage in the world could hope to. (this is why Bayonetta struts rather than walks. Its attitude and mentality conferred through motion)

If your fantasy world is out of the imagination of Boris Vallejo, then anything other than a smirk and a circlet somehow twisted into a garment is going to be out of place.

If you're designing for a semi-historic inspired game, then make the outfit climate and activity appropriate.

Challenge yourself. If you have some male full plate armor, make a female set and keep the same coverage. Figure out what lines imply a feminine form.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    hahah oh man you hadda go and make one of these threads.

yeah, I feel like some people don't respect context as a variable. A truly realistic game's immersion might be undermined by much sex appeal to armor or stylistic liberties with weapons for some people. While more aesthetically prioritized contexts may not necessarily follow the same rules. Or art styles that rely on overemphasized qualities of the character to look cool - whether its masculinity, femininity, sexiness, goofiness or whatever. And then technical shit like gender identifyability at the player-scale if that's important for any reason.

But I actually feel the true things we're balancing are:
    • Cool & Functional - and what kind of 'sexy' is cool in the context, if at all
      and
    • Sexy & Least-Offensive
    and then portraying what we [or someone else] thinks the audience thinks is 'cool'/interesting, which I think is many of our jobs. And trying to avoid offending that audience.
    I actually love the look of games like Blade&Soul, Monster Hunter, etc. even though they may have designs that compromise practicality to achieve what I consider 'cool' in that universe. But I also have friends who don't seem to like anything that's not realistically plausible.

Anyway while it's nice to hear everyone's particular opinions about this [again],
    I'm actually more curious if ya'll do something mentally to strike the correct balance for a particular context like Vailias started to touch on?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Stuff like this I love, and it's sexy. It's just a thoughtful design.

original_design___peacock_by_yayacosplay-d4bybsx.jpg

Just for me, when boobs start to exceed the size of the character's head, I begin to question the design's purpose. Is it a design for the sake and benefit of the character, or is it just for sexual appeal?

Also:

cleavage.jpg
  • Carl Brannstrom
    There are too many factors to determine if something is too sexy or not without any real art direction. We need more info about what you want to do.

What kind of game is it for?
    Is it stylistic or realistic art direction?
    Is it an arcade game or a simulator?
    Does the character have an important role in the story or just an extra?
    What is the characters personality like?
    What is the characters social status?
    What is the character about?

If the game has a stylized art direction, you can get away with designs that doesn't make "sense" but looks cool. Also you can accept non-realistic gameplay.
    Lets take Quake 3 for example. When you play it, you accept rocket jumping, strafe jumping, taking 100 bullets in your face. Why? Because of the stylistic art direction! Since you accept that it's not realistic, they can have outrageous character designs with sci-fi bikinis, half naked bodybuilders and just cool looking characters.
    Quake would be ridiculous if it had a photo realistic art direction like Battlefield 3.

We can also do it the other way around. If the characters in Battlefield 3 would have female soldiers with their 66DD tits about to pop out from their shirts, it would ruin the illusion of realism and just be annoying.

I think the super hero picture Makkon posted is a bad example because if they would dress for fightning, they wouldnt have big, long hair and capes either. They would dress like MMA fighters with tight shorts and boxing gloves.

I hear many people "complaining" about female characters have too sexy outfits because it "doesn't make sense that they are half naked when in a battle against a dragon" when they don't even notice the male barbarian in nothing but furry underwear next to her...
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Showing more skin on female characters than the male ones is stupid and is the lazy way out of showing them as female. For me personally its not about being a white knight or politically correct or whatever. I just hate stupid sexyness in games where it doesnt fit, which when it comes to female armor, is almost all the time.

Also, I dont think stylistic design is a good excuse to have giant tits with cleavage.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Makkon wrote: »
    Stuff like this I love, and it's sexy. It's just a thoughtful design.

original_design___peacock_by_yayacosplay-d4bybsx.jpg

awesome example. it all ties very nicely together and's contextually something a women might actually like to wear. its pretty and sexy without being cheap.

Armor wise I would say its down to context if the dudes are in canonically correct armor then the women should be too. If your wavering in the fantasy direction a bit then you have a more freedom.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    thats a bit 'over the top' (oh ho ho)
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, you can tell the Bioshock lady had about 3 secs worth of thought put into her appeal before they slapped her with an anime-ish face and that cleavage. I have no problem with cleavage, but they hardly masked the intent in that design.

And from what footage I've seen the men in the game will look as realistically frumpy/average (rather than the 'roided up superhero types) as possible.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Snefer wrote: »
    Showing more skin on female characters than the male ones is stupid and is the lazy way out of showing them as female. For me personally its not about being a white knight or politically correct or whatever. I just hate stupid sexyness in games where it doesnt fit, which when it comes to female armor, is almost all the time.

Also, I dont think stylistic design is a good excuse to have giant tits with cleavage.

Well, if it's required to show a lot of skin on a character to reveal it's a female, the artist have failed :p
    But the amount of skin that is appropriate I'd say it depend on the context. It's also a part of (western at least) culture. In general, female clothing usually highlights female features such as bust, shoulders, collar bones, neck and back.

The thing that's so wonderful with stylistic art is that you have the freedom to decide such things. You can have huge tits or flat chest, defined muscles or obese, big nose or tiny nose etc.
    I just think that many art directors and/or artist simply think big brests are aesthetically pleasing.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    But the amount of skin that is appropriate I'd say it depend on the context. It's also a part of (western at least) culture.

Yes. Like armor, where it is ALWAYS stupid and never appropriate ^^ And western culture? Id say japanese games/media does this MUCH more. Giant tits on every girl over 9 years old :P
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Snefer wrote: »
    Yes. Like armor, where it is ALWAYS stupid and never appropriate ^^ And western culture? Id say japanese games/media does this MUCH more. Giant tits on every girl over 9 years old :P

Truly, and it's fantastic!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a_g7lUliQU"]Dragon's Crown: Official Trailer (E3 2011) - YouTube[/ame]
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    this pretty much sums up female armour

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTGh0EMmMC8"]Female Armor Sucks - YouTube[/ame]
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    thats probably why he posted it in the OP

haha wow look at the art for that game

dragons-crown-sorceress-art-01.jpg
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Just cover everything in nipples. Nipples everywhere.

Big ol' stack of nipples. More nipples is more sexy
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Conan.jpg

This is, in my opinion, the second best character design of all time in film/video-games/entertainment. And it has plenty of nudity. In fact, I can't even imagine someone doing a female version of this (with the exact same wardrobe that is).

Why is it awesome? Because he's f'n Conan the f'n Barbarian. He's savage, mean, and kicks ass. He simply needs NOTHING else except his sword and some animal-skin underwear. No armor, none of that nonsense. They even use the fact that he doesn't wear armor as an opportunity. They found the biggest buffest guy on earth to portray him. He's a savage guy that's all muscle. Doesn't need anything else to be an asskicker.

In short, his design is appropriate for who and what the character is.

On the other hand, if you design a knight-templar character that's supposed to be heavily-armored with banners of the Cross over it, and then make it a female in a metal-bikini, then you fail. The design isn't appropriate for who/what the character is.

Everything with taste. Everything has a time and a place. It's about knowing when and where.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    LRoy: Wow, I have no desire to play that game...

Anyway

I think the bottom line is thoughtfulness in the design. Being too sexy will only be an issue if it contextually doesn't make sense, or if the underlying purpose of the design is sexyness and doesn't support the character's role or personality.

But I will say in my own taste, boobs larger than the character's head I think blows all thoughtful design out of the water. I just can't appreciate that, even if it's well crafted. It's just not thoughtful or interesting design in my opinion. But games that have this feature I don't find to be very fun anyway, so whatever!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Sexy is all about attitude in my opinion.

tumblr_lrtwrpEjD81r1g5m2o1_500.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Context is the word here, there is no right or wrong answer, but there is what you can call 'a limit'.

Lets put it this way, Tropical desert, post Apocalypse weather? Kinda like Rage? Both male and female characters where shorts-shorts, tank tops and a hat to deal with the weather.

Cold weather in which you will have nipples so hard you can cut glass with it? I would say some of the later Tomb Raider games did this justice with her head to toe fur coats.

On the other hand, as many stated (and no offense to anyone) but if you want to take cues on what to NOT design on female character, go with Asian Market. I mean honestly, it's getting really painful to see the Asian gaming market is still being marketed as if every single guy there had ADD, with a chronic semen build up that needs releasing like the Yellow River of Jizz.

Example One:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWpnoSo7dx4"]Final Combat - Meet The Sniper - YouTube[/ame]

Tight clothing and high heels for a Sniper in a battlefield, who instead of wearing contact lenses, puts on glasses, makeup and doesn't even properly tie back her hair.

Example 2:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeCtJrWWK8g"]Dragon's Crown - E3 2011 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Amazon is risque, sure, but considering on how the dwarf is also almost naked, save for his iron skirt, that would be a good even Steven situation, but the sorceresses is the main culprit here, especially when you compare to the male mage.

Example 3:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKFxyEkgGf4"]Lost Planet 2 - Female Pirate Trailer HD - YouTube[/ame]

Guys covered head to toe, girls almost have no armor other then a few fetish chains.

Lastly, a little video to understand that even with sultry clothing on female character, sometime the issue is a little something different:
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/4719-Gender-Games
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    That's another question though, why target it only at men?

It's a self-perpetuating problem. We target at men, so only men play it, since only men play it we might as well target at men.

But if we want to open it up to a larger audience, we would be wise to target it at everyone.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    This is the part where I plug ponies, because I feel that this article touches on that very point.

http://life.icrontic.com/article/why-grown-ass-men-love-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-so-much/
    When Faust sat down to work on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, she had a completely clean slate to do whatever she wanted with the IP. Knowing this, she threw out EVERYTHING and started from scratch. She didn’t want this show to pander to typical girl show standards. She wanted something that could be viewed and enjoyed by everyone, regardless of sex or age.

So, why don't we follow suite?
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    that's what sorta funny is that I super agree, but then the outfit with the girl in the white box (even the one to the left of that one)even the chest exposed for cleavage in the Orrian set, even having her legs more exposed and not the guy or even the chest expoed for cleavage in the Orrian set sometimes get people heated. That was the grey are that some people go nuts over, I didn't know if any other artist deal with this. I don't even know what to say in a situation where people are saying "well your a male, you don't know who it feels"

This was actually a source of endless contention within ArenaNet (and I'm sure almost every studio out there that designs "sexy" armor). What we ended up with was to try and have enough to cater to all interests. It's easy to champion a case for coming up with fresh and new ideas that won't offend anyone, but more often than not that just results in unappealing and boring designs.

Fun facts:
    • A big reason why a lot of the lower level armor sets are so similar between male and female is because it's just way faster to build the armor set once and then reproportion it for the female.
    • Some of the most revealing armors in Guild Wars were designed by females.
    • And some of the most famous illustrators working on those eastern games some of you seem to despise so much are also women.
    I personally think the Final Fantasy series does a fantastic job of keeping things tasteful yet awesome (the MMO games and Ogre Tactics comes to mind)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't think avoiding being offensive should ever be a major goal for any mature rated game, too sexy is bad cause its overdone and doesn't add any depth or character to the person or world. Of course there are games that half of their marketing is sex appeal, but if that isn't a selling point of a game, why does every women need to be half naked?
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    Think prom (arne) did a really nice writeup on female armour in games like diablo (scroll down till you hit the re-designs of the female chars, in awsome prom style ^^ http://androidarts.com/diablo/diablo.htm). More or less the argument that armour doesn't cover enough in diablo style games is largely irrelevant.

But yeah, context is always good. Pretty sure naked chicks would suit some games and fully clothed 19th century outfits would suit others. Shit has to suit the game and then look cool at the end of the day ^^

Also cool to hear about that stuff haikai. Wasn't bayonetta's costume design done by a chick too (alot of people were complaining about her outfit being too sexy originally, the assumption being guys designed her)?

and not everything in life can be solved with ponies makkon :( *checks out season 2* ^_^
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    But so what if a woman designed the sexy outfit? Isn't she still an artist that's aware that she caters to a largely male demographic?
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I'll keep this brief.
    I work on a project that is for the Chinese market, and I'll just say that what the US thinks is feminine is much different from what the Chinese think is feminine. The same could be said for what is masculine.
    From an MMO stand point I'm all about reuse, whenever possible. In the case of armor, I've always seen the benefits from first making male armor then reconfiguring and reshaping to fit the female body. However, this isn't necessarily the right approach for all markets, and I think it's best to assess your target market before just deciding the 'right' look for women.
    good discussion and hilarious videos.
    peace
    B
  • Bibendum
  • Mithdia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    Ecchi_Armor_by_sketcher2007.jpg
    just going to leave this here...
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Indeed, you'll be hard-pressed to know that this attire can stand 2 BFG shots.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Conan's loin cloth is covering too much - why not show a little shaft or some butt cleavage? lulz
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia wrote: »
    Ecchi_Armor_by_sketcher2007.jpg
    just going to leave this here...
    She actually seems kind of overdressed to me, I mean come on, wearing TWO thongs at the same time? That seems like a bit much.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Conan.jpg

This is, in my opinion, the second best character design of all time in film/video-games/entertainment. And it has plenty of nudity. In fact, I can't even imagine someone doing a female version of this (with the exact same wardrobe that is).

Why is it awesome? Because he's f'n Conan the f'n Barbarian. He's savage, mean, and kicks ass. He simply needs NOTHING else except his sword and some animal-skin underwear. No armor, none of that nonsense. They even use the fact that he doesn't wear armor as an opportunity. They found the biggest buffest guy on earth to portray him. He's a savage guy that's all muscle. Doesn't need anything else to be an asskicker.

In short, his design is appropriate for who and what the character is.

On the other hand, if you design a knight-templar character that's supposed to be heavily-armored with banners of the Cross over it, and then make it a female in a metal-bikini, then you fail. The design isn't appropriate for who/what the character is.

Everything with taste. Everything has a time and a place. It's about knowing when and where.

While I indeed agree with you that this is badass, it isn't realistic and Robert Howard had Conan in armor quite frequently. Not all the time, and it was always sometihng light, but generally he was clothed. I think it depends on if you want to be realistic or not. I also think that a female or male can be sexy without showing much. You just have to show some skin in the right places.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Why do they have to be sexy.
    If you need sex appeal to draw attention then it probably wasn't good to begin with.