Home Contests & Challenges Archives

UC 2009 'END GAME' | rantanplan | 3D

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
divi polycounter lvl 12
High up in the mountains lies a calm and peacefull village in the lands of the benevolent Count Poly. One beautiful August day the evil 'Gay Artisans' attack with their airships and lay waste to the mountain villages. Can our hero 'Greentooth' save his people from slavery and sexual harassment at the office?
Some very early WIP backstory for what I intend to do. Something along the lines of a village at the top of a mountain peeking through the clouds after a bombardment by a pirate airship hovering over the city with hooks on iron chains dug deep into buildings and ground in several locations in the village. Airship design will probably be inspired by the Iron Vulture from TaleSpin.
The level starts on a paved narrow-ish street coming out of the cloud layer and leads over various ladders and alleys to the top of the mountain where the village square is surrounded by a few buildings and the pirateshop lowered down rope ladders.

Will have to see how extensive the whole village will be but it will probably just represent part of a village that peeks through the cloud layer. For the time of day I would have loved to do a clear blue sky at high noon with grassy fields waving in the wind but that probably wouldn't fit the theme very well, so sunset with billows of smoke rising up from damaged or destroyed buildings will be more likely. With grassy fields waving in the wind of course :].
Early concept will either come today or tomorrow when I'm back home.

Cheers

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Sounding pimp so far, best of luck with the comp.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    Time for an update i suppose!
    First of a rock asset which I'll hopefully manage to use for all rock-cliffs and single rocks I might need. Texture is still WIP and will get some green and brown in the cracks. ~950 tris and 1024² texture.

rockasset.jpg

Started to rough in parts of the mountain village and the first one is how some parts at cliff edges might look. Forgot to scale some of the rocks differently so it looks quite monotonous. I'll either go with dirt roads or pavement, not sure yet. Or both :D.

rockpathconcept.jpg

Next up will be some block-ins for buildings to get a feel for what sort of architecture I wanna use.

Cheers
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    well! no architecture as of yet. just some flag variations which i might use for the village's flying defense-platforms and in a few other areas. maybe. just a quickie to see which colors work, not the actual texture. i'm liking no4 best so far.

flagcol01.jpgflagcol02.jpg

flagcol03.jpgflagcol04.jpg

any feedback greatly appreciated. :)

cheers
  • kinesis
    I quite like number 2 myself, though they all have their merits. And the rocks look great.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the rocks. I would suggest roughing in the whole scene... or doing some sketches of what you want to do. Nice rocks though, really.
  • Fingapuppet
    I like the top left flag =0)
  • A.Kincade
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    i really like the idea behind this one. those rocks look pretty sweet. as for the flags.... i like the one green one with the white greentooth. can't wait to see more.
  • vcool
    I like 4.

Nice idea hehe.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope you plan on baking some light maps into those rocks, would look really nice, and they wont cut down on your texture limit :D

Only issue I have with the scene right now is the monotone grey you have on the rockface. Might want to dabble with little bits of colored lighting, or even better if you're using Unreal you could do some light functions.

Anyway, good luck!
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    crazyfingers: once i have the rocks placed in a way i like i'll delete any unseen faces and weld everything together so i can lightmap it without too many seams. the texture itself was actually just halfway done - was bored with it but i'll add some browns all over and a bit of green in the cracks to support some foliage i might add in there lateron. guess i should read up on light functions :D.

thanks for the posts :)

vcool: yeah, 4 will probably make it :D

A.Kincade: thanks a lot :D as ashamed as i am of it, the design for no.4 is actually based on a pretty infamous flag design. it's just working i guess.

Fingapuppet: actually the one i liked the least for the village, since they are supposed to be the "good" ones :D

nfrrtycmplx: thanks :D. the block-in is actually pretty much done and will show the architectural style i wanna go for a bit. you have a terrible nickname! i had to copy-paste it :| xD

kinesis: no2 was my second favorite and on it's own its quite nice, but compared next to 4 it's just less powerful. thanks :)

Emil Mujanovic: thanks :D i like your avatar! in a not-gay, purely entertained way. i really shouldn't write stuff like that, it makes me look weird.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    okay, so i my block-in file got corrupted and the last iteration was 6 hours before that, so... no block-in as of yet :( but since the single rockmesh didn't really work all that well once placed over a larger surface i made a tileable rock thingie.

rockfaceunrealtest.jpg
    screen out of unreal

i also have the clouds "done" and started on some foliage, but not enough to show just yet.

qwerty. sorry, had to.
  • shape
    Offline / Send Message
    shape polycounter lvl 17
    Hey this looks sweet! Another variation with natural striations or layering would work well, especially if you're planning to make large rocky surfaces. This is cool regardless, it just seems more like landslide material than a mountain itself.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    oh. yeah, danm :D forgot to use reference when doing that :>. i was just so happy that it didn't look like the first rock pasted all over which looked exactly like a landslide :D. gotta change that.

thanks for the comment :)
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    reworked the rocks, like them more now. just a bend viewport grab - won't look like that ingame obviously :D form wise that is.

rockfacetest2.jpg

and i finally got around to spend some time on a "concept". i'm terrible at that stuff, so i don't think i'll bother with it anymore and get working again.
    the angle is quite weird, but the grassy field in "front" of the "village" (will have more houses ingame) will be much flatter.

concept.jpg

done a few other things aswell, but not worthy of being posted just yet.

cheers :)
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Those rocks look delicious!
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    blvd your avatar creeps the hell out of me and yes, awesome rocks!
  • professorXXX
  • RadioActiveKitten
    I agree, your rocks are sick!
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    i wanted to post a big update today with all the stuff i've been doing the last 10 days, but honestly i've just been playing torchlight all day today and couldn't be bothered to make screenshots, so....
    im out of town till monday! then i'll post stuff. promised :|
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    This is precisely why i refuse to play any form of RPG till this contest is over :D!

Can't wait to give borderlands a try though, splurging with a little left4dead 2 myself in the meantime.

Lookin forward to the update!
  • Diwan
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Nice rocks! Do u mind sharing some of ure workflow? I'm trying something similar but not getting quite the same result in zbrush. ROCK ON! :P
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    scenewip.jpg

took a while, but i'm not dead just yet :|. have most of the modular buildingsparts done, just need to assemble them into the buildings. sky is just a tweaked UT sky, so it will be replaced with something lighter and less "pasted photo" aswell. i'll just stop saying what else needs to and will be changed now and get back to work! :)

lightmass is a cruel mistress.

as far as workflow goes - i made a ZBrush brush i'll post once i get my ftp working again along with a quick breakdown.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    scenewip2.jpg

tweaked the foliage a bit, changed the sky (still wip) and somehow made lightmass work properly :)
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    Lookin' good, the sky and foliage work very well together.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Those rocks came out really great.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    everything is working really well together right now.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    so it struck me that there's no way in hell i'd finish what i originally set out to do, soo... reducing the scope of it was my second best plan.
    dioramawip.jpg
    and a copy&paste/sucky paintover to show what i at least still need/want to add.
    dioramawipconcept.jpg

the cherry tree ist just a aec extended standin, so... yeah!