Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roman soldier head (WIP)

Here is some work in progress. Im pretty new to sculpting, usually i make my base model in 3ds max and then add a few details in mudbox. This time im trying to learn sculpting from ground up entirely in mudbox. This is probably 2 hours of work, im not realy using reference material (although i probably should). Some feedback is welcome. I will update this thread as i progress.
dgqi4n.png

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'm sure you can see this, but the mesh seems lumpy, primarily since it's all one mesh.

I want to tell you right now, it's totally fine to have seperate meshes intersecting and floating on top of each other. The head can be separate from the helmet, can be separate from the plume, can be separate from the eyes, etc.

If you want, and to make it look way better, go back in and make separate meshes.

And use reference materials, real and game ones. I recommend looking into Ryse for game character art reference for Roman Soldiers.
  • Xenocide
    I'm sure you can see this, but the mesh seems lumpy, primarily since it's all one mesh.

I want to tell you right now, it's totally fine to have seperate meshes intersecting and floating on top of each other. The head can be separate from the helment, can be separate from the plume, can be separate from the eyes, etc.

If you want, and to make it look way better, go back in and make separate meshes.

And use reference materials, real and game ones. I recommend looking into Ryse for game character art reference for Roman Soldiers.

Alright thanks. Ill follow up on that advice!
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    JoshuaG wrote: »
    Got a Potato Jesus vibe going on here
    PotatoJesus5214b0bd5b5f8t.jpg

Lmaooooooo
  • Xenocide
    Im trying guys :D. This is basically my second character model ever...and god damn, hard surface modeling is hard in mubox :/. Anyway, quick update, i realise alot is still wrong with this, still looks like a mess....but working on it. (also still some parts that should be seperate objects, but ill get into that later).
    142x7o1.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I think the problem is youre trying to run before tou can walk. Go and learn more about modeling and the fundementals of 3d before trying to do this because youll be basically wasting time. Additionally id reccomend zbrush for something like this. Further more it would probably be better to poly model a helemt like this but if you mist zbrush has a lot of hard surface tools.

But really slow down and learn more about modeling and the toolsets as well as workflows and youll avoid a lot of these problems. To be honest it looks horrible because youre going about it totally wrong. If you slowed down and learned morr about 3d and did a few tutorials and maybe some facial anatomy tututorials and then went about doing this it would look 1000 times better. Untill then trying to do this all in mudbox is just going to waste your time and even if you do get it made but you took forever and did a bunch of hacky stuff to get it half decent then ultimatly all youd have learned is what not to do and what is bad in a production environment.
  • Xenocide
    You are absolutly right, even though i might not like to admit it myself. But its the truth.

Still, regardless, knowing this model is absolutly useless. Compare this to my first character model which took me an entire week...this one is made in one night. Atleast i made some progress...even though my workflow is messed up and wrong. Anyhow, my brother who works in the industry as a modeler gave me some nice guidelines and tutorials...so i know what ill be doing the coming weeks... (Stopping this thread now, wont be updating this model anymore)

671t3a.png

My first model char model :D:resample(lanczos).png
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    you're on the right track by just producing art and trying to improve with each piece. To be honest, there isn't a ton of technical difference between your first piece and latest, but the key is to learn something with everything you do and listen to the feedback you get from artists here.

Next time, try working in separate pieces. You're trying to get too much out of your sculpt here and are diving into details way too quickly. For example, have the face, helmet and armor as different tools. Model the helmet out using hard surface techniques and contrast that with organic sculpture in your face. Right now, you're trying to do everything at once and it's leading into blobby information.