Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• AndrewHelenek
  • cottonwings
    Won't you get watermarks for a student ver. ? You're not supposed to create workshop items with that anyway!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Won't you get watermarks for a student ver. ? You're not supposed to create workshop items with that anyway!

The only thing you get from a student version is a warning on the .MA and .MB files when you save and open them, informing you that the file was created using a student version of Maya (IIRC you can even manually edit the files and remove that message).
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i do agree it seams low, i made a lot of mistakes in the past and one of them was not giving the proper valor to my work. I suggest you guys to not work for that and ask for more, because if we keep accepting low shares they will keep ask to work for less...

I agree. We need to stop this race to the bottom asap.
    I feel it does a great disservice to the amount of work involved in creating these assets.
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Commencing debatable Yarr! conversation follows... Most tools save anyway in any format, regardless of what you use nowadays, amirite?
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    What is Valve's policy with student software anyway?
  • brianchenito
    Offline / Send Message
    brianchenito polycounter lvl 7
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    vertical wrote: »

Valve really can't say much. You provide them a file in a specific format, that is then compiled to the game format. The software licenses are between the vendor and the user. If the vendor can show the user is out of compliance they will usually try to get them to be compliant, or then take legal action. Some software that is commercial free, but allows workshop revenue, has wording in the EULA that state this. Other software, like student licenses, do not say any thing like this in the EULA, so it could be taken that a student version can not be used for workshop, but again, Autodesk needs to define this. If you cannot afford Maya LE or Max full, there is always good ol' Blender, or spend $150 and get Modo SE for an amazing deal. Hope this helps?

Jack_Sparrow_Hanging_COTBP.jpg
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh, I've been using Max as a student license for 2 years and getting quite comfortable with it. I don't want to turn to Blender and re-learn everything again. So, I'm sitting in a sticky situation. Blender isn't bad, but, I've come so far with Max that I don't see the need to just learn another 3D package. I suppose I should go to Blender since our currency converted from US Dollars to ZAR is waaaaaay too expensive. R 30'000? I can buy a car with that money.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Meh, I've been using Max as a student license for 2 years and getting quite comfortable with it. I don't want to turn to Blender and re-learn everything again. So, I'm sitting in a sticky situation. Blender isn't bad, but, I've come so far with Max that I don't see the need to just learn another 3D package. I suppose I should go to Blender since our currency converted from US Dollars to ZAR is waaaaaay too expensive. R 30'000? I can buy a car with that money.

This would really need to be something that Autodesk would need to answer, but reading the EULA they basically say that it would need to be for personal, or licensed educational use only, at least that's how I read it. If you have not read their EULA fully I suggest you do
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    @vertical: Well as far as I'm aware the student license allows you to use the software non-commercially, so until the moment it makes money then you are within your licensing agreement. If you do make money with it then I am sure you could immediately upgrade.

Just a thought.

Not that I am saying it is the best course of action but the most Autodesk would do is request that you upgrade.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9

Since the likely hood of making any money off the thing is so minimal, I dont think they waste their time with it.

I looked around and pretty much everyone is like "um. no comment/don't care"

Just do it.
  • Josh21
    Possible set helm/axe set for WK still in progress. Maybe will just release axe as single. Suggestions or feedback?

8yesJcI.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I noticed some sets in the workshop and store with flipped normals, just wanted to make sure you guys take the time to check and correct them. Cheers!

flippedNormals.gif
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I noticed some sets in the workshop and store with flipped normals, just wanted to make sure you guys take the time to check and correct them. Cheers!

flippedNormals.gif

Whoops...
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    its just that the dota engine is reading the green channel from the normal map reverse to compared nearly all other tools. so if u want to archieve the max effect u need 2 normals, one with greenchannel upside and one with greenchannel downsided.
    or u create the marketing renders ect first and then simply reverse the green channel after :)
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    And what is most confusing about dota normals is that on the technical page there is false information as well:
    "The "_normal" texture should be 24-bit and use the 3dsmax format(red channel is left; green is up; blue is top). If you aren't creating a custom normal map, use a flat normal color (128,128,255)."

Its not true, normal for ingame should have green down). Also source files that you will download from tech page are also normal green-up but if you decompile game files there will be normals green-down. All this make it just confusing I guess.
  • Frederik J
    Maya student version is non commercial so your not allowed to earn money on your projects with it, neither can Valve but if the item was free it would be a different case.
  • SemiColonThree

flippedNormals.gif

Oh shit, i totally forget to re-revert it after importing it for the cinematic. I was wondering why the locks looked a little weird. Ty xD, that was embrassing hahaha. Gonn send fixes
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    a new small itemcollabo with ares is up

would be kind if u leave us a vote <3 greez!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243525258
    tp%20eghead%20512x512.jpg
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if/when I get something out on the workshop I would most definitely purchase a license without a second thought. Max is a spectacular tool! Not to sound sneaky or anything, but, there is AFAIK no way that Valve could know which tool you used to create an item. Except their Steam scans your system ("For data") to specify what you have installed on your system. But, by ALL means, I would happily upgrade to the full license when I get something out.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    A trio of weapon sculpts for a bounty hunter set. Concept by Mimeo.

tOqZOvu.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Snowstorm, the sculpts are really great in themselves but I have to say the designs feel a bit bland. What stands these apart from other bh weapons?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Konras wrote: »
    And what is most confusing about dota normals is that on the technical page there is false information as well:
    "The "_normal" texture should be 24-bit and use the 3dsmax format(red channel is left; green is up; blue is top). If you aren't creating a custom normal map, use a flat normal color (128,128,255)."

Its not true, normal for ingame should have green down). Also source files that you will download from tech page are also normal green-up but if you decompile game files there will be normals green-down. All this make it just confusing I guess.

that confused me a lot in the beggining. Now i just used the y inverted on xnormals and my maya is set to the left hand coordinate, same as 3dmax.

I know that a lot of items were shipped with wrong normals, the easiest way to check is looking for the seam on the parts that you mirrored
  • cottonwings
    I second that, you can definitely add spices to the stock kunai, shuriken and stuffs, without losing too much of the base shape. If you have a theme suitable to incorporate, why not?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    if it looks bad in maya with right tangent on, then it will look good in DOTA2 xD
  • Strimax
  • bounchfx
    if it looks bad in maya with right tangent on, then it will look good in DOTA2 xD

I used to be so paranoid about it being flipped, because let's be honest, sometimes it's not super obvious in dota.. I'm a victim of it too hehe. What's been working for me every time now is just baking in xNormal and Handplaning those - I don't need to flip anymore because it outputs correctly, and for taking pictures in Marmoset there's a little button that let's you toggle the normal direction so it looks right there. <3 Toolbag

anyone not sure about if their normals are correct in the game owe it to themselves to at least do one import with the green channel each way to double check, just in case! I see a lot of entries hurting themselves by not checking and a great item can turn out looking sorta wonky. (though Valve has let in a lot of flipped items, and I'm not sure why they haven't corrected them or told the artist to, since it's a fairly simple fix)
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    What's been working for me every time now is just baking in xNormal and Handplaning those - I don't need to flip anymore because it outputs correctly

Was just going to say this, thing of the past now :)
  • Celths
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys , just finished a courier with Cottonwings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5LgOoeljvI#t=46

workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243698488

drop a like if you wish:)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message

like this!
    rhxnYLG.jpg

look the gray thing point, on the bottom image the normal seams to have a problem with flipped normals, everytime that happened with me i made another bake and blended on photoshop to " fix"

but look how they act in dota

Alec from Handplane shared me this and at first i didnt believe him =]
  • polarbear
    I've been doing some work again and managed to finish two items!

Black Mist Halberd for Abaddon
    bZv8Tv0.jpg

and for the March Contest
    Shattered Boulder of the One for Elder Titan
    aqGlHeg.jpg

Feel free to throw some post-mortem feedback if you have any! =)
  • GibbleMiester
    Hey Guys, what's Up.
    I'm a tf2 conceptual artist and was recently challenged to make a dota 2 mount with what little knowledge of the game i had, so i ended up drawing up this mount that doesn't even go with the characters color scheme.
    vKF8cA1l.png
    but i find drawing stuff for Dota too be a nice change from the tf2 stuff and i hope i can end up making some decent concepts, Here's something im currently working on with kite212:
    GPxTbb1l.png
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    If you clean up that bottom one a bit more, it could become a really fantastic color scheme. Even the top one works well for distruptor, just needs to change up the colors. :thumbup:
  • socktopus
    A head slot item for Nature's Prophet I put together. I don't consider myself a modeller by any stretch of the imagination, so hopefully this isn't a complete trash heap.

Your feedback and (if you like it) your support are appreciated.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=244093080

63DE101117421EF18398062BCB432B5B3F39EA80
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Ekrzym3.png

could I get some feedback on this?
    specifically the gems on the shoulder blocks
  • Muffy
    Hi! Lots of really good talent in this forum.
    I just finished my Faceless Void Dark Geode Set. Vote it up if you like!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242947477

SetShowcase.jpg
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Muffy Nice!! I really like this Void. Those crystals could be a little more intensive and have some self-illumination, but overall the set is really well done!! Gave thumbs up!!
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Off to the retopo chamber.
    d7hWzd4.png
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Ekrzym3.png

could I get some feedback on this?
    specifically the gems on the shoulder blocks
    It looks ok for me and its hard to comment about concept because its the part that i hate the most =] but what about making it add more to the sillhouette of the character? maybe more taller or pointy. perhaps some parts having a better sillhouette out of the character's would make it easy to read
    Frump wrote: »
    Off to the retopo chamber.
    d7hWzd4.png

Loved the headpice Frump! great work

guy, i received some feedback about the 2 models not looking like the are part of the same set and went asking for suggestions. Motenai suggested me to add more red to true form and i took some time to make the light bake more intense on the model.

DAY
    eNshrYw.jpg

NIGHT
    KHVSf3d.jpg

Do you guys think its still lacking consistency?

Should i use more red on the trueform?
  • t1mu
    Offline / Send Message
    t1mu polycounter lvl 8
    tvidotto this is absolutely better i think.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17

I am a huge Blender fan/advocate. There are enough free tools to create what you want without expensive or stolen software.

Blender, Sculptris, XNormal, HandPlane, Gimp. I love the simplicity of Sculptris, so it wins over Blenders built in sculpting tools. For now anyways, Blender is continually improving while Sculptris has been trapped in a PixelLogic dungeon.

Maya, Max, any big software that continually updates itself and required the purchase of new licences or a monthly subscription (Photoshop) is not appealing to me.

Imagine if you were required to re-purchase physical items like your television or washing machine every year. I can understand the need to monetize these software products from a business perspective, and that moneys made will be invested in better future products - I just don't want to be a part of the endless purchasing cycle.

I am also 100% against stolen software/movies/music. We are all artists here and benefit from copyright laws being followed. By contributing to software piracy you are building a better case for tighter internet controls - which is self defeating. It kills me every time I see a post from someone who just started out and they are using thousands of dollars of pro software. I understand the desire to work with the best tools, but at the end of the day a pencil and paper are all you need to make good art.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Tamarin wrote: »
    I am a huge Blender fan/advocate. There are enough free tools to create what you want without expensive or stolen software.

Blender, Sculptris, XNormal, HandPlane, Gimp. I love the simplicity of Sculptris, so it wins over Blenders built in sculpting tools. For now anyways, Blender is continually improving while Sculptris has been trapped in a PixelLogic dungeon.

You can also add krita to that list.

Plus, the only software you really need to buy is zBrush because it makes things way easier. The rest you can just use freeware.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    You can also add krita to that list.

Plus, the only software you really need to buy is zBrush because it makes things way easier. The rest you can just use freeware.

I would buy a $99 3dCoat Basic Licence for more advanced sculpting tools or project control. You can find it on the Steam Store. I currently have a simple workflow between Sculptris and Blender which allows for complex sculpts. I wouldn't say you NEED zBrush but it is probably the best sculpting tool out there based on user gallerys.

Krita looks pretty cool. The mirrored canvas is something that Gimp is missing for sure.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Did someone here already used 3dCoat?

I concur about Blender, I use it even for sculpting, but it clogs my machine to a halt in the levels of subdivision I need, so a good sculpting alternative that doesn't cost a kidney would be good.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    3dCoat is pretty interesting. Voxel sculpting seems to need more system resources than polygon sculpting when you need fine details. Sculpting without tri's/quads has its advantages though. It has some very interesting tools like the muscle tool which is good for cloth folds etc. 3dCoat is also good for retopo and texture work.

Definitely worth giving a chance with the 1 month trial at their website. I made all sculpts using Sculptris and 3dCoat in my entry for last year's Escape contest. The rest of the 3d work was done in Silo and Blender.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Well, seems the solution to my problem is really an upgrade then :(

But as it has a free trial I'll give 3dCoat a try. Thanks for the reply!
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    Zbrush isn't that expensive AFAIK it's a bit more expensive than Mudbox. I've been using Mudbox but it's features is nothing compared to what ZBrush has to offer. So for me, it's going to be Blender. Luckily Blender has a 3DS Max control scheme. Gimp's painting feels more natural to me than Photoshop to be honest.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin wrote: »
    I would buy a $99 3dCoat Basic Licence for more advanced sculpting tools or project control. You can find it on the Steam Store. I currently have a simple workflow between Sculptris and Blender which allows for complex sculpts. I wouldn't say you NEED zBrush but it is probably the best sculpting tool out there based on user gallerys.

Krita looks pretty cool. The mirrored canvas is something that Gimp is missing for sure.

dont know if you tried but painting in lowpoly with 3d coat is amazing. i tried a lot of other softwares and 3dcoat gave the best result for me.

i always uses it to paint or fix seams on the lightmaps