Home Dota 2

Coyo.Te's Dota 2 Thread

Replies

• Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    really, why are the zip textures 256x128 then?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Because default items don't care about the requirements. Alway check the importer first.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k, not gonna forget that ever i think ^^ thx
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The hourglas of Avernus - Abaddon sword

268x268.resizedimage

collab with ike
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Congrats with your hand for tuskar! Good luck with another weapons!
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome. now i gotta change the start post ^^ thx guys
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deathprophet_3.jpg

any suggestions? should i ignore it? or should i cancel? i dont know. its the standard collar, havent thought about it when creating the concept and the model ofc

deathprophet_4.jpg

portrait view.
  • identikal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably fix that sort of stuff. The intersection does look quite strange
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the problem is, that without the collar it's gonna look fine. well atleast in the concept it did. i mean there are other sets and items ingame that intervere with each other like that aswell. but since its a standard item. on the otherhand with this collar, dp can never have longhair, which would be kinda limiting the whole thing.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    she couldn't have long hair which drops downwards, but perhaps there is a floating hair look which would work with the mask?
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Hey mate, did you draw this or did Valve? If so that's really cool, I didn't think they would go to the effort of doing it:

8UnRgbc.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valve did it. its also on cyborgmatts patch blog. looks pretty nice if you ask me :)

Snowstorm wrote: »
    she couldn't have long hair which drops downwards, but perhaps there is a floating hair look which would work with the mask?

well. the mask will work with lots of hairstyles but the hair would be nice to have ^^ i'll think about it.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double post - lol
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deathprophet_5.jpg

so, this is my latest texturing for the head slot. i think it doesnt look too bad. the portrait view looks alright and was my main focus since its the most visible part.

comments? yeah the clipping gonna stay like that til i finish the set (if itll ever happen) and then i see what i do.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    The hair looks great ingame. Though the mask seems floating a but ahead of the face.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eagle_of_eztli1.jpg

wip of a bloodseeker concept i am working on
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    courier_deer_1.jpg

really really early version of a courier concept i came up with in my sleep.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bloodseeker_1.jpg

moa blood

edit: oh btw, all concepts in here are up for collab if anyone should be interested, unless stated otherwise ofc.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    batrider-dreadrider-2.jpg

concepting a mount for dreadrider aint easy.. -_-
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    china-newyear-courier1.jpg

let the sketching begin
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    china-newyear-courier2.jpg

nuff sketched - early blockout, no horse yet
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was playing around with the modelviewer when I thought: damn it why not.
    Here, have the first badge of some forum flair - dota2 avatars for everybody who wants em.

forum_avatars_complete.jpg

Edit: Updated to full zip, some heroes have messed up faces due to a buggy flex, they didnt get in yet.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since I have not been to active over the last couple of weeks in the polycount community I like to share with you folks what I've been up to, some might already have heard of it for some it might be new. Maybe I can spark some interest.

Dota 2 does not have official modding support yet, but that doesnt mean people arent modding. Jyciphex aka Warlord approached me around beginning of February about an ambitious idea he had a while back. He is a game developer and fiddled around with an interesting concept to be realized within the bounds of dota2. Its a game mode called "Fight or Flight" and melts several game concepts together.

In FoF you can capture up to 4 points on the map to gain global buffs depending on which point you capture. If you capture all 4 you gain 4 buffs yet you get an additional debuff to make the game interesting and not to snowbally.

Around the 4 capture points, the outposts, in a matter of minutes, woodlogs spawn which you can gather and deposit in the middle of the map, on the so called "Altar of Azarak" - which ever team deposits the most logs gains a allround buff, compiled from the 4 outposts but all in one with lesser effect of all 4 outposts.
    The 4 buffs you can gain from the respective outposts are movement speed, attack speed, xp per minute and gold per minute.
    The altar buff, gives you a percentage of all these buffs at once.

Besides these 5 objectives you get the chance to capture the enemys flag after 3 minutes into the game. Capturing the flag grants 25 points to your team and the flag carrier gets an aegis.

You win the game by amassing 75 points. Holding control over the altar grants a certain amount of points over time. Killing enemy players grants points till a threshold of 50 total points. The game concept centers around fast, intense games, with a focus on drafting and strategy

This game is under development and is not released to the public yet. But we are holding inhouses on an invite basis, so if all this sounded interesting enough to you, make sure to drop by and leave a comment, join the steamgroup or post some thoughts on reddit. Following are some pictures and videos from what we been working on and ofc the links to groups and such.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2FoF
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dota2fightorflight

Some videos:
    Nigmas VOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWwEvZjZe4
    Cyborgmatts VOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQRiLJ25pag
    joinDota VOD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT5jJjfVMXQ

logo_old_blue_steam.png

The initial logo concept had a lot of stuff tried to fit in, i revised it made it a bit more clear but still wasnt to happy about it since its quite noisy overall.

logo_new_blue_steam.png
    I started playing around with it a bit more and tried to reduce it to a minimum, easy to read and more iconic, keeping some of the main aspects of the initial logo idea I presented this one. A decision which one is used hasnt been made yet but i clearly favor the latter.

Johnny (AmadeusMozart) and I are providing custom models for the outposts, the altar and the log.

models_wip.jpg

These were our first attempts, yet we realized while playing that they are not significant enough and lack overall consistency. We are propably going to redo them again in the future and give em a more consistent look in general, something that all 4 outposts have in common and makes em easy identifiable. The altar is a big wip atm, as said this is all under development and there is lots of stuff to do besides modelling and sculpting. For instance figuring out, how to get stuff ingame without the dota2 compiler.

log_1.jpg

Going from the sculpt to ingame, took some time to figure out.
    In the beginning I simply compiled it as a ward, just to check how it looks ingame, how the size is and all that stuff.

log_2.jpg

Til it worked
    log_3.jpg

log_position_scale_reference.jpg

But it wasnt ingame yet, its ingame dota2 but not ingame in our own gamemode. In the end we had to implement tthe model and material files into the bsp. Since we dont have official support and cant tell the model to look for its material files in a certain folder, the engine will always look for the material files in \...\dota\materials\ - which again we cant change or put stuff into, so the bsp seems the only way atm to ship our models and materials.
    Ofc we now figured out how to compile our models and bind them to bones, all on a more improvisation base then anything else, again this is reverse engineering I guess.

At the moment the materials specified in the vmt are not correctly displayed in the running game mode. We are working on that, and see how it goes once we figured it out.

Besides models, there are also buff and inventory icons and ofc a splash screen that need to be done. Here are some screens on that:

fof_tutorial_splashscreen_wip1.jpg

outpost_buffs_1.jpg

buff_icon_mockup.png

Main focus of the buff icons is, that they are easily discernible from one another, the need to read fast, without taking the eyes of the player to long from the action.

I cant present more ingame shots atm, but will do in the near future. Let us know what you think.
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I watched this game mode at Nigma's stream, and what a great discovery! So amazed that you contributed to the mod community which they deserve some spotlight. Big applause to the team's great effort. :D
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    good work man!
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Has this game been modded in wc3? If so, it'll probably be easier to test the game layout there. I'm also not sure, but you can probably import all of the assests. Only problem would be the size of the actual map. It'll be really high if you lots of tris.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, this game mode is for dota2 and is being developed for dota2 since earlier this year. wc3 was never touched nor mentioned.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I have a suggestion for the towers though. Each time you start a new game, the tower types gets randomized. Maybe a meta-mod for FoF. Anyhoo, Coyote, I'd gladly help you guys if you were interested. I understand the mod is still in development, I think that the towers should have a quick-to-read look. Money buff tower, Huge ass hand of midas holding a coin using the thumb and point finger. Just a thought imo. But, guess is you are already going for it.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The suggestion with the randomization of towers aint something, i have to say. we already discussed this as it turned out in the beginning that the xp per minute tower is pretty strong early game on. you start with lvl 4 and 1500 gold from base but the dire had an advantage due to closeness of wisdom tower.
    the problem with randomization is that its hard to balance and jicyphex is already crunching alot of numbers. he needs way more samples from games to really do something. at the moment the wisdom tower is pretty normal compared to the other towers, given the fact that the other towers all give you xp when capture and the wisdom tower doesnt in the first three minutes of the game. its something thats on our watchlist but nothin really highpriority. thx :)

yeah the towers eventually gonna get reworked to be more visually communicating. :P
  • amadeus.mozart
    good thought #vertical about the towers, but as coyo.te said to be visually/graphicly communicating we sticked to the animal theme hawk/bear/owl/ coinfrog (symbols) conform the buffs. i must agree with coyo.te they need to be rethinked/reworked from a graphical point of view
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try the map layout in wc3! At least just for testing purposes. You can mod everthing there and have a template to port it into Dota 2
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, why should we, we already have everything in dota2, the map runs fine.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really what I meant, I meant you should try the balancing issues/map format there. You guys should also strive to make it asymmetrical if possible.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doom_3.jpg

helmet for doom, for the monthly contest.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Horns of Defiance - Collection

268x268.resizedimage

my entry for the monthyl contest (july) but this time the link for the collection with both colors!
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreadrider_dynamesh2.jpg

this is fun, its gonna be hairy
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I put this link here for later use, its a short tutorial on how to use textures and models in the new dota2 workshop tools - http://www.hitbox.tv/video/212964
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some merch work

ED907CC629E0565BE7B07F011F96AB66EFBAD23E

can be voted on here -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=449190691

and this one
    3AE139E340FCF70811AF17FA4CF99E7E5C400576

can be voted on here -> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=450166232

and from the first one also made this
    cash_furion_wallpaper_31.png

enjoy
  • amadeus.mozart
    very nice work mate
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some concepts, feel free to pm me if you are interested in realizing those.

axe_conquistador_concept.jpg

spooky_ward_1_3.jpg

spider ward for the monthly community contest - spooky :P got an animator for that one but still no modeler. feel free to pm me