Home Dota 2

BladeofEvilsBane Concepts

Replies

• BladeofEvilsBane
    The sun rises, the moon sets. New Bloom 2015

LEWf6O4.jpg
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Forgot to post my son Derp the Frangler fish. Modeled by Belkun, animated by Maxofs2d, and concepted and textured by me. He was fun to texture with all the glowy bits from the liquid he's sitting in, really happy with how he turned out.

htfmZSN.gif
    637x358.resizedimage44F4574AB2F785E04CC2A6AE3BEA100D32A0D1FE
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    PHEW. These last few months have been incredibly exhausting and exciting!

I'm going to attempt a quick recap on the Blessings of Fenghuang sets modeled by Zipfinator, textured and illustrated by SLIMEface , with skill icons, lore, and concept done by me with additional conceptual help from FudgieWudgie .

I'm incredibly humbled to have even gotten the chance to be apart of something like this, it was great to work with everyone being so dedicated and passionate about working on the sets. I went through a million revisions of every slot until we found something we liked. Below I'm posting a bunch of images highlighting a little bit of the creation process that we went through with conception and presentation.

Here's one of the earliest itterations for sky, we ended up changing the gauntlets, the front of the belt, the bracers, and the wings (the lack of bones making the wings design in the image below clip a lot RIP)

SO8VfBx.jpg

Here's the sky and venge sets side by side before I started going back and culling ideas and strengthening them:

Hf923d1.jpg

The feather in sky's hat represents the singularity of the sun, we gave venge 7 feathers to represent the 7 visible stages of the moon's cycle. We had originally planned to make her wings transparent with a scrolling texture, but unfortunately with the wing budget being tied to an overall armor budget, it ended up making the whole slot transparent or nothing.

Here's the first revisions for sky, with the new belt and bracers:
    4V9DSAy.jpg

I started designing tats on sky's face for the portrait and loved how they looked, but unfortunately they didn't translate to the game very well with his facial animations, but we did end up making a new set of orange sun eyes for him instead (I'll link the hattery version so you can see first hand at the end)

7sjmXyE.jpg

After revising sky I moved on to revising venge. We gave her skywrathian feet and through the revision process made her design more sleek and elegant (lots of help from FudgieWudgie!):

XRDhK6r.jpg

zJnKF1n.jpg

Wanted to make ghostly wings that looked like they were breaking apart, was hoping for the transparency to push the idea forward but I think it still looked good with the self illum glow in the end.

Here's the icons I did for both of them:

SrRs0gu.jpg

7UBzEm7.jpg

Here's the little promo emblem of the two weapons interlocking, I really wanted to have the weapons be two parts to a whole, so when designing them I had to do them at the same time.

k647QTS.png

I love writing stories so I wrote one up for the two sets subtly hinting towards certain chinese beliefs and customs (lunar/solar eclipses caused by dragons consuming the respective heavenly body, loud noises chase them away, the mythical sun bird fenghuang being the opposite to the dragon) while still staying within the dota 2 universe.

ACFrRMe.png

The sets in unison contain the 5 fundamental colors that the fenghuang represents, as well as the heavenly bodies that each part of the bird symbolizes.

Here's a snippet of the amazing loading screens SLIMEface did for the sets, each half of the loading screen making up one large whole composition (click to see the collection) :

777B2792B4CD1854EEBED709F97E8D3C608F2577

Check both of the sets to see some ingame shots, Zipfinator did a wonderful job with the models and constantly revised things to work in game, and I can't possibly fit all the images of the models in this post alone so be sure to check it out in the collection above or in the links to the hattery below!

Both sets were put up on the hattery, big thanks to ReMixx for making this possible! You can see the eye changes we made to sky and venge really well there as well as how it reacts to lighting.

Feng's Radiance
    http://dotahattery.com/workshop/skywrath_mage/fengs_radiance/

Huang's Umbra
    http://dotahattery.com/workshop/vengeful/huangs_umbra/

Overall the response has been amazing to both of the sets, and we've had a lot of advice and help along the way. Thanks to all who helped make these a possibility, and thanks to all who supported us from start to finish! Fingers crossed for all the awesome sets everyone has done for New Bloom 2015!
  • variant844
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    variant844 polycounter lvl 2
    Oh my god!
    That is so freaking cool!
    I love your work.Fantastic concepts.
    Really hope those sets get in.
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Thank you! That means a lot!

Here's my concepts for the Shards of the Fallen Light set for Terrorblade that I did with vikk0:

ouOI75k.jpg

Fudgie again helped me since we were working on a tight deadline and made some sweet claws for the metamorph.

Vikk0 did an amazing job with the sculpts:

exWoLr0.jpg

v8AhEY8.jpg

Here's the loading screen I did for the set, with a link to the collection in the image:

feBFHRJ.jpg

8F9AD04B098832EAF09544F54564BF44BFB4A09C637x358.resizedimage8C6B121F6DCD89918AA3BE57572A3445D4CA89D6
    637x358.resizedimage

Huge shoutout to Konras who helped us to get his animations to work! The importer for the metamorph seems to be seriously bugged but Konras got us the files needed to get him up and running in game.
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    wow, great works, very nice documentation too !
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Vikk0 and I also pumped out a single for Skywrath, with an ambient particle effect by The Horse Strangler. Sculpt by vikk0, concept and textures by me, and particles by The Horse Strangler.

50LRk7P.jpg

We originally wanted a swirling particle in the mask itself but it didn't work out so I made some revisions to it:

637x358.resizedimage 637x358.resizedimage 637x358.resizedimage

Dem whips. Click the gifs to see it on the workshop
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Really dig that fish ward, I'd buy it
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    If I was a gambling man, I'd put money on Skywrath being your favorite hero ;)

But really stellar job with the concepts. Love the idea of the Sky/Venge sets. IMO the Terrorblade wings are a bit busy but the idea is really interesting
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'd put those meatballs in my mouth.
  • cosmicsugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The terrorblade set!!!! I love the jewel-like wings, the purple addition really make it POP!
    I'm honestly inspired to do a terrorblade genderbend cosplay now haha
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    IT'S FINALLY DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ahem okay so a years worth of work has come to a close, and I'm super excited to be able to share it with everyone.

Here's our beautiful baby with modeling and marketing by Belkun, texturing by Arty, custom animatons for the wings and sword as well as movie animations and effects by H a y e s, particles by Cory de la Torre, and
    illustration, story, concept, loading screen, and ability icons by Me. Click the gif and you'll be taken to the collection page for the set.

aH4ZWv1.gif

This is the first loadingscreen I've ever done from scratch, the only models used were the wings and sword which got painted over anyway haha. Click the image to see the animated 4 minute video written and illustrated by me, and with animations and effects by h a y e s.

yEtpNKA.jpg

Below is one of 25 panels for the animated movie, click the image and it'll take you to an imgur album with all of the illustrations.

HYdEtlZ.jpg

Here's my ability icons for the set, now with 50% moar bloom:

GUIebsk.jpg

And here's the animations and particles in game:

g9dWSRW.gif

It's been a really crazy few weeks, and everyone has been super dedicated and hard working to seeing this set to fruition. Extra big shoutout to H a y e s for the extensive animation work for the wings, sword, and the entire animated movie. It's been amazing working with everyone, thank you so much for working on this so hard you're the best.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy!
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Good job, man! Looks like a lot of work went into this.
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Thanks Nannou! I'm a dunce and forgot to link the link to the hattery for anyone wanting to check it out! http://dotahattery.com/workshop/skywrath_mage/seraphic_apotheosis/
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    amazing job dude. it`s by far the most detailed set i`ve seen so far posted in the workshop. spirit, artwork, and style. was wondering when a set that is more than just a cosmetic appeared in the works. not many people devote too much time to the lore, which is a pitty.
    great job once again.