Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] SandKing - Ankulos Guardian Set

Foe
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Foe polycounter lvl 5
This Set is a Collaboration with "frankshi" and may we present the Beginnings of "Ankulos Guardian Set
pDVIO.pngwMVGR.pngvTunG.pngpd4f1.pngyhmyX.pngNrWHF.pngklSjb.png

Change log:
-Added Silhouettes and shape Language (10/15/2012)
-Numbered the Silhouettes (10/15/2012)
-Added Refinements and renders (10/16/2012)
-Decided on a venomous type of Sandking with blades
-Added Workshop icon WIP
-Import Test complete for the Arms and Shoulders

Replies

• sshawnkimm
    Awesome stuff!

I wish you guys would number each silhouette, just because there are so many and members could easily point out the silhouette.

I really dig the egyptian tones, and i'm a fan of the asymmetric look, especially for sand king. So i think the claw with the hook-like shape (#2), although not as well designed as the others, has the most interesting design and tones of a pharaoh, so combining with the badassness of the other styles would make it successful.

The tails are not as badass as the others, and I think the tail could be where a lot of the design can be centralized, as it's the most important landmark of SK.

And i think all the shoulderplates look great, I particularly like the sturdiness of #4 with the asymmetry of #12.

Keep it up guys, super excited to see what comes up!
  • tiki
    Interesting silhouettes, enjoying the asymmetry and variations of the shoulders.
  • frankshi
    Offline / Send Message
    frankshi polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the feedback guys! We will be doing more refined silhouettes of the tail, shoulders, and claw and should be coming up soon! And ya, numbering the silhouettes.
  • frankshi
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! we will be uploading more refined silhouettes soon!
  • Foe
    Offline / Send Message
    Foe polycounter lvl 5
    Updated the Images with numbers on them so they are easier to identify, we are currently in the process of picking and refining these silhouettes, expect an update late tuesday, but in the meantime feedback would be appreciated, what we are looking to have as the end product is Not a pharaoh or an egyptian set. What we are looking for is something that would come out of the world of Dota 2.
  • keiwannabe
    loving the silhouettes, the ornate designs for the tail and claws will really give Sand King a more menacing guardian like image. For the tail i'm enjoying #6 because looking at the shape it looks strong and fearsome, which goes with your claw design #1. For the shoulders, push the triangle shape of the head's horn more. I feel that if they're more spines or triangles popping from the shoulders, it will take a bit away from SK's head silhouette. Keep it rolling!
  • Foe
    Offline / Send Message
    Foe polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys I just did some more concepts pushing the refinements.
    XIA4A.pngwMVGR.pngvTunG.png
    Edit: Shoulder Refined is a render of the tail and shoulders only
    Would like some feedback, Thanks
  • JGcount
    Love the tail! Keep it up
  • SickSoss
    Foe wrote: »
    Hey guys I just did some more concepts pushing the refinements.
    XIA4A.pngwMVGR.pngvTunG.png
    Edit: Shoulder Refined is a render of the tail and shoulders only
    Would like some feedback, Thanks

That last arm detail with the green glow would look really cool if that was done to the rest of the armor. Along with the circular designs, it would definitely make a cool looking alien-like armor with green plasma/venom flowing through SK's body
  • Foe
    Offline / Send Message
    Foe polycounter lvl 5
    Progress Update#2

Notes:
    We decided on alternate versions for Sandkings Tail, and in process of modeling them out.
    Modeling for the Arms and Shoulders are complete and tests have been completed for skinning.
    Steam workshop icons are being illustrated while modeling, UV Unwrap is currently in the works.

Feedback is appreciated.

Gq337.jpg7OwMd.jpg08rzk.jpgWgKvE.jpgpSrUm.jpg
  • Foe
    Offline / Send Message
    Foe polycounter lvl 5
    Just like to update that we have been crunching to get things done, images to be posted soon.
  • Foe
    Offline / Send Message
    Foe polycounter lvl 5
    Hello all,
    The past few weeks, we have been crunching our weekends from school to finish this set by the deadline, despite the lack of comments, we have proceeded as planned and here are all the in-Game results of our efforts.

All textures are hand painted in and normals were partially sculpted to help out with the shape. Rigging is finished as most models have a higher detail in the portrait view. We are happy with our result after numerous tweaks.
    The Following slots have been Completed:
    Arms
    Legs
    Tail
    Shoulders

Our plan now, because of the allotted extra time Valve has generously given us is to develop a head model to replace, and with the coming thanksgiving break we can crank this out from concept to final shortly.

vYOVX.jpgtpUFS.jpgxLUS3.jpg
  • bugball
    m,y favorite sk set, congrats ill buy it ;)
  • frankshi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just uploading some work in progress, kinda of jumped ahead with out showing some of the models and sculpts. We did most of the modeling just in maya and the sculpts main purpose was for the normals and the subtleties.

We will be posting the head shortly!

Here are some quick renders, wireframes and sculpts of all the items! (but the head)

Oyv69.jpg

SVMGs.jpg

qJJo2.jpg

lcaud.jpg

a9hSY.jpg

YLtSI.jpg

IUBp6.jpg

5bxvI.jpg

6t6MQ.jpgSVMGs
  • tiki
    - the models is coming along nicely!
  • Foe