Home Technical Talk

Display vertex numbers/reordering vertices in 3ds Max?

Hey, guys. I've been wondering, is there any way to somehow display vertex numbers beside them? Like in this mock-up picture:

9fbfCZy.png

Thing is, sometimes the import/export of meshes can screw up the vertex numbering and because of that I get various issues with copying uvs and stuff. Is there any way to display that, so I could somehow reorder vertices? Or is there some other way? Thanks.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Better thing is to adjust your workflow to avoid this problem. Reordering vertices is a time-consuming and error-prone job.

But if you're stuck, check scriptspot.com for tools.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    check out a script called morphix for reordering: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/morphix
    as long as you still have a version of the mesh with the original vertex order, it can copy that over to the mesh with the mangled one.

i don't think there's a manual way in max.

btw. if you have access to maya you might have an easier time using it's transfer attributes functionality. a real lifesaver.
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thx for answering. Morphix doesn't work for me, for some reason (2014 max).
    Better thing is to adjust your workflow to avoid this problem. Reordering vertices is a time-consuming and error-prone job.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Still, I was curious if there's a way to do it, if I ever need it in the future.