Home General Discussion

Zbrush 4r7 Discussion

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Since this community is relevant to this subject and many of us use Zbrush. Here is (according to them,) is a heat of what the actual update would be.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3714_DrCs"]ZBrush 4R7 64bit REVEAL DAY 1 (Full Presentation HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Im super exited about this, funny no one made a thread earlier tbh.

Im really looking forward to the modeling tools, the more I can stay in zbrush the better :)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Don't care much, I wish the would fix the awful UI first.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    @lotet - There was a pretty in depth discussion here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138205&page=10

@Superfranky: 64 bit beta!! I'm excited and hopeful that it's good :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i'm excited for the 64bit beta, this will hopefully sort out issues with "this .obj is too big to export".
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    or files that don't work anymore.... i have one airborn plane, i could save, i can even load it but after that zbrush hangs and the ram usuage blows through the 32bit roof.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    I guess for most people the 64Bit mode will be the big one. Maybe finally able to work on massive models at once and not piece by piece. Next step using GPU features?

What do you guys think about the low poly modelling tools? Look easy to use but a bit limited to the parametric system of Zbrush.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Not dealing with crashes on big meshes anymore is great. The zbrush marketing around bad poly modelling tools is really annoying.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I prefer getting production ready topology, UV and texturing tools over over basic poly modeling tools I have elsewhere in a more polished and fully featured implementation. I've actually started using 3d-coat for sculpting more since it has end to end solutions for modeling that zbrush does not, and there is no roadmap to when zbrush will have those features.

64bit is neat, hopefully the beta is stable and this isn't just a setup to get us to buy an upgrade to Zbrush 5.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Less crashing on big models" +1.

I have meshes where I can load, but which take ages to open and crash when I try to save. The obvious fix would be to delete history on all subtools, but that crashes them. Fun!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    yeah 64 bit is pretty cool too. to bad they didnt do anything to the texture painting though :/
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Can't tell how many times I've had "out of memory issues".

64 bit will be all I come along for, the rest I consider a very good bonus. Let's hope the modelling isn't a mess.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    64 bit for me definitely. however ...i do not expect the transition to be smooth and bug-free.

the modelling tools will hopefully come in handy once in a while to fix and tweak where so far the model would have to take a roundtrip max and back. i hope they don't feel totally alien and cumbersome to use.

btw. have they ever shown subtool folders? that would be one to look forward to.
    and numeric input for transformations. :)

re: "mesh too big to export" - try turning off UV merge and whatever else there is under tool->export tab. I think it normally fails when merging vertices?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If they were to add a actual scale, it'd make a lot of my work a hell of a lot easier. I don't think that's likely to happen any time soon, but a man can dream.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Zbrush has way more important things to address than 64bit first. It's actually becoming increasingly more difficult to use in real productions due to the head in the sand approach of Pixologic. It's 2014. Why do we not have proper udim support, or non-destructive layers, or the ability to import proper cameras with image planes or the ability to do half the things we actually NEED to in order to work within an existing pipeline. No-one needs more brushes or spotlight nonsense before dealing with the important stuff. It's beyond mad now.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    well if you have kept up with zbrush developments over the years then it's fairly clear that they don't care about pipelines and established 'industry' ways of working. entirely left-field product for single users, probably created by some surfer dudes in a hut next to the beach... ;)

shame that skymatter fell for the buyout money. they played off nicely on Z's weaknesses as a production tool for a while but now mudbox seems largely abandoned. :(
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    ^
    They are def not "surfer dudes" that I am aware of. The CEO of Pixologic def seems like a unique but very technical individual. I know a few of the pixologic guys personally, and the usual response regarding the subject of UX/UI is that its geared more towards physical work stations. When you think of it that way, there is a logic to it. Categories are in alphabetical order, everything in that category can be docked around the primary work space. Its really not all that difficult once it clicks.

With The Foundry picking up ADF tech via Mischief, and their sculpting prototype, its quite likely we will see a stand alone sculpting application from The Foundry.

I cant imagine anything seriously competing with zbrush at this point though. Would rather see further developments inside of existing 3d creation suites (modo, maya, max..ect)
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Jackablade wrote: »
    If they were to add a actual scale, it'd make a lot of my work a hell of a lot easier. I don't think that's likely to happen any time soon, but a man can dream.

^This, along with sub-tool groups and object orientation would be all I would ever ask for from them.

Oh, About the obj being too big to export- if you turn off Mrg, Grp, Txr in the export tab it will export the highpoly with polypaint without crashing. I've done it up to 18 million polys without an issue. You just won't have UVs on your highpoly, but it's good enough for baking.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Even so, I don't think certain things should be excused for Pixo.

For example, I understand why it would be next to impossible for them to add a true map painting system, and that is due to the way their material/Uv system is setup, and I understand the weird Vertex+PS Plugin combo we have to use (although I use other stuff).

Maybe laziness, or maybe this is their vision and they don't want to strip it, whatever, no skin off my teeth when other apps can fill the role nicely.

But at the same time, the much needed 'folder' setup for Layers isn't exactly an industry standard or something, it exists (just like it always has, since the day we were unfertilized eggs) since the dawn of time to keep things organized, that's the entire point. I don't understand on what kind of logic Pixo has for not bringing those since day 1 after the HardSurface brushes they put, and those are not impossible to create.

And yeah, the scale system is a nightmare still. I mean why wouldn't you have a unified scale system in the first place? That's like coding your watch to take into account daytime savings and what the day was like at the Battle of the Roses on a Sunday, and forgetting about leap years.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I want a gizmo for transformations that makes sense and proper pivot points.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Subtool Folder !????
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Oh my gosh yes. I have a file with gridded cm/mm marks I use for 3D print work.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18

The easy work around is to make a digital 3d ruler in max, maya, etc. And append the obj as a subtool.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Subtool Folder !????

Yes please
    Mstankow wrote: »

Yes Please

Also, i'm chill with the UI how it is as i've learnt to live with it, but the sliders man.
    The sliders need an overhaul.

For example;
    Me: "Alright Zbrush lets move this subtool over 20 points in the Y axis"

Zbrush slider: "what? the Z axis?"

Me: "no 20 on the Y!"

Zbrush slider: "Sorry best i can do is 18.97874, please put the pen down and use the keyboard"
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Mstankow wrote: »

yeah that would be my vote too, I just want to scale rotate and move like I do in every other 3d app out there, why re-invent the wheel?
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I think their transform gizmos are ok. They can do much more than just move, scale, rotate. They are a bit unintuitive when you come to Zb from any other 3d program.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The standard ZBrush transform gizmos are great, but it'd be really handy to have some standard tools in there as an alternative. They've already got a fairly janky transform set up if you turn off "edit", but I don't think there's any way to use it at a sub tool level. Would be great to see that improved and implemented across the board.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    i can see the point of the transform line with masking...but it can be a pain in the ass to do that with simple actions like resizing a simple object.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I personally am looking forward to trying out the new low poly hard surface modeling tools.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Zbrush being more hard surface friendly, yes please :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Any word on the beta date? If I recall correctly, it's going to be an open beta for 64bit?
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    I admit, those low-poly modeling tools do look nice, and fast.

And while i do agree with what others have said about the addition of proper gizmos for tool/subtool manipulation (transpose action lines are REALLY annoying, and very counter-intuitive, the circles aren't even labeled for axis for christ's sake), and also, the addition of proper scale (even if it's just MM) would be great, we still don't know what's coming in ZB5, only what's coming in R7, though i am also looking forward to 64-bit, it's about damn time ZB made that leap.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    they just released a new teaser.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3fQG0FzVAU"]ZBrush to KeyShot bridge teaser - YouTube[/ame]
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I really hope their plugin doesn't break right away when the Keyshot guys release a new version, after which it takes literally forever for the Pixologic people to fix it.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Everything they've shown so far regarding modeling process looks like just series of extrudes.
    I wonder how vertex tweaking will look like with their transform gizmo.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    JamesTKirk wrote: »
    Everything they've shown so far regarding modeling process looks like just series of extrudes.

yeah so far Ive never seen someone fix a messy mesh in a video for example - these edge loops dont create the shape I want so Im going to delete 5 polys and weld another mesh here and then clean up the ngons I have created etc.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    JamesTKirk wrote: »

yeah so far Ive never seen someone fix a messy mesh in a video for example - these edge loops dont create the shape I want so Im going to delete 5 polys and weld another mesh here and then clean up the ngons I have created etc.

Keyshot looks beautiful, hope the linking of files is super easy and user friendly.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    what the world needs is a working layer system, not some hardsurface modeling that every other application can do.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Goeddy wrote: »
    what the world needs is a working layer system, not some hardsurface modeling that every other application can do.

I hear you, but it'll be nice to have the ability to model/change topology on the fly in ZB rather than having to go back to a 3D app.

In terms of layers as has been mentioned before I would love to see specific Subtool groups (similar to layer groups in PS,) drop down folders which can be assigned to sets of subtools - that and a revamped texturing system :thumbup:
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i'm a bit tired of everyone defending zbrush' UI by saying "it's easy once you figure it out"
    yeah, well i've figured out the theory of relativity. and it is "easy once you figure it out". it's the "figuring out" which is the problem. the UI is so unintuitive and different from everything else, i find myself looking up tutorial videos every time i use it, is faster than bashing my head against it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Its unintuitive if you come in expecting/demanding it to behave like a traditional modeling program instead of a painting program. For the most part its just a matter of understanding the difference between the document and the tool, and knowing why they exist. Personally I was comfortable with the UI within the first day (on par with other 3d programs, far ahead of others).
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They didn't make it different just to fuck with you. So try to keep in mind that it's the way it is due to a series of deliberate choices. There's a reason for everything, even if it's not apparent what it is at first.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    cryrid wrote: »
    Its unintuitive if you come in expecting/demanding it to behave like a traditional modeling program instead of a painting program. For the most part its just a matter of understanding the difference between the document and the tool, and knowing why they exist. Personally I was comfortable with the UI within the first day (on par with other 3d programs, far ahead of others).

exactly what part of calling an object a "tool" is intuitive?
    what part of having to go into the tool panel to import models is intuitive?
    it's exactly because Zbrush still desperately clings to it's 2.5D painting roots that the UI is so damn borked.
    i'll admit it's gotten better over the years, but that's a bit like saying someone with terminal cancer has gotten better.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Torch wrote: »
    In terms of layers as has been mentioned before I would love to see specific Subtool groups (similar to layer groups in PS,) drop down folders which can be assigned to sets of subtools - that and a revamped texturing system :thumbup:

yes, yes and yes.

also the ability to create layers not only on the highest subdiv, and the ability to merge only 2 selected layers, and not only all at once.

the feature itself is actually pretty robust and is sadly held back by all this userunfriendly nonsense...
    well i gues you could say that about the whole program itself.
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    More hard surface support is awesome. Anything to help from switching back and forth between programs.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    dejawolf wrote: »
    exactly what part of calling an object a "tool" is intuitive?
    what part of having to go into the tool panel to import models is intuitive?
    Its unintuitive if you come in expecting/demanding it to behave like a traditional modeling program instead of a painting program.

Again, it's simply a matter of spending one minute to read into the difference between tools and the document, and why both exist. Once you accept that you're looking at a canvas, seeing models as tools makes perfect sense.

2.5d hasn't hindered zbrush's UI or what its capable of.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Again, it's simply a matter of spending one minute to read into the difference between tools and the document, and why both exist. Once you accept that you're looking at a canvas, seeing models as tools makes perfect sense.

2.5d hasn't hindered zbrush's UI or what its capable of.

If you have to read documentation then its not intuitive, when I first used mudbox 1.0 I knew exactly what I was doing, didnt even need to read any documentation, just played around and it made sense. when I used zbrush 3 I was confused by the way it did not follow normal 3D application conventions, I couldnt even figure out functionality by playing around in it for hours. I have gotten used to zbrush over the years and dont necessarily want them to change it now that Ive learnt it but that doesnt mean its intuitive for new users. I would say zbrush's UI hinders my speed and workflow every day I use it, maybe its not significant but its there.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Goeddy wrote: »
    yes, yes and yes.

also the ability to create layers not only on the highest subdiv, and the ability to merge only 2 selected layers, and not only all at once.

the feature itself is actually pretty robust and is sadly held back by all this userunfriendly nonsense...
    well i gues you could say that about the whole program itself.

Getting a robust, non destructive layer system with vector graphics technology like polygons/sds is going to be next to impossible. Voxels are a much better candidate. Unfortunately the only voxel sculpting app on the market hasn't seen an update to it's voxel sculpting toolset in quite some time.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I'm honest, I'd be happy if they just moved the "collapse panel" button away from the middle of the panel where I accidentally click on it roughly 100 times a day.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    If I'm honest, I'd be happy if they just moved the "collapse panel" button away from the middle of the panel where I accidentally click on it roughly 100 times a day.

You know that you can actually move and customize pretty much every button right? Im on my phone now so i cant really send you a link to a video. But im sure youl find it if you google it. :)

Its actually super easy and my workflow has been so much better since i found that feature.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I test drive mudbox every couple of years to see how it is going and every time I do I come away with an appreciation for how quick zbrush is, even on average machines. A simple thing like going up and down in sub levels can be a real chore in other software. I give part time instruction and atm my 4th year students are getting acquainted with zbrush. Up till the 4th year I have let them use any 3d software they choose as long as they can go from a primitive to a finished model. Most use 3dsmax because of the student program, but the second popular app is C4D and even in last place Blender. Not one of the students has complained about the zbrush interface. Up till now the only comments have been about the freedom to express. GoZ gives them all they need to transfer stuff to their standard app and the first thing we do is set up a model to be exactly the right size in all their software. Just unify the model or stub so it is optimized for ZB and change the export settings. For max it is scale 100 and y=1, could not be more simple.

I also find the hundreds of different techniques available for hard surface sculpting inspiring and liberating, but at the same time it seems the pixo people have bent over backwards to make ZB as seamless as possible when it comes to workflow with other software. Coupled with an enthusiastic and open community that loves to share methods and demonstrate a range of approaches I'd say we have a real winner.

I already have max, I dont need another one.
    Just my experience.