Home Technical Talk

Transfering UVs

Greetings Polycount,

I am currently dealing with an issue with my UVs on a low poly model. I exported it as an OBJ to ZBrush so I could do some basic posing, but when I imported the posed model back into Maya, the UVs were completely gone. I tried to see if I could somehow transfer the UV map on the non-posed version over to the posed version but mesh>transfer attributes didn't take. Is there any way for me to transfer the UVs to the new, posed model? Or is there a way I can get the UVs to come with when I export it back out of ZBrush?

Replies

• MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    Doublecheck the UV editor to see if you have multiple UV sets. Your UV transfer may be working, but it isn't showing because it isn't on the default UV set.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If the UVs somehow got deleted in zbrush, you could try storing a morph target and reimporting the original obj. As long as the vertex order hasn't changed it should automatically reattach the UVs (and you can use the morph target to switch back and forth between poses).
  • TaxExemption
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Morph Target is going into full panic and pulling apart the verts something fierce so I take it the vertex order got altered at some point. Maybe it got changed when it went from an OBJ to a Ztool?
    My only UV set in Maya is map1 so sadly that isn't the fix.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    vertex order in zbrush can change when you do stuff like recreate subdiv levels. your obj going in/out as such will not change it though (in my experience anyway).

i find maya's attribute transfer quite awesome, still coming to the rescue when the vertex order is screwed. if the meshes are identical except for the vertex order, transferring uv's by topology should work.