Home Dota 2

Ghost Detector's Workshop thread

GhostDetector
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
So I'm making this thread because I have a lot of ideas.

If anyone wants to collaborate with me on a certain item, just message me or reply below.

Please do not make any of the items without asking permission first.

I would greatly appreciate feedback and tips on how to get better.

====

Looking to collaborate in projects (mainly because I want to learn how to do this stuff..)
I'd probably be doing concept work because I'm not adept in modeling, rigging, texturing.

====

Whoever wants to do one of my concepts, feel free to use them, however you have to contact me and we will discuss the details. (I still want to contribute to the project)

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here are item concepts for slark
    http://i.imgur.com/9xg3X6g.png
    (Removing the image from the thread so I can put some new ones)

The last dagger is hopefully going to be part of a set.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any critiques
    Numbers means the order i made each dagger.
    fXuzupt.png

Comments please.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some silhouettes that I made.

Personally I like 6 7 and 11.
    ZQ975zY.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really understand the texturing after making the model, so it just turns out to be ugly. Maybe I should just go back to the original concept(I kind of deviated from it). So the thing I did looked pretty ugly(maybe its because i rendered it in blender instead of Dota2, or because I didn't follow my own concept -.-)

http://i.imgur.com/kSsG8NG.png

Well anyways. Since I don't really understand how to texture or rig I don't think I'd be able to publish something any time soon.

So I think I'd just stick to concepts for now, and wait for someone to help me out.

Here are a whole bunch of wards, I tried making some for each support, but I couldn't think of wards for all of them.
    7yVwRM2.png
  • hamstocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamstocks polycounter lvl 5
    I really like some of your concepts, especially the wards! :)
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamstocks wrote: »
    I really like some of your concepts, especially the wards! :)

Thanks! I could work with you if you want to do one of them. If you do want to do one, just msg me and tell me which one you want to do.

So here is WIP of the slark dagger. I think my original concepts were too much for me so I kind of simplified it. It isn't quite finished, but here's just the low poly with the normal/ambient occlusion.
    MKZTapW.png

Things to do:
    Texture
    1. Diffuse
    2. Mask1
    3. Mask2
    Rig

Can anyone give some feedback?
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    Can we see the original concept? The weapon looks quite flat and not very sharp or cruel like the rest of slark's weapons.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Study Tamara's ("Firstkeeper") artwork to get a better understanding on how to paint strong, illustrated Diffuse textures.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi wrote: »
    Can we see the original concept? The weapon looks quite flat and not very sharp or cruel like the rest of slark's weapons.

What do you mean by that? Do you mean the other official slark weapons or the ones from my concept?

I actually forgot to do that step when I refined the blade to make it easier on me. The original concept was number 6 with just colors defining each sections.

Here is some variations that I made.
    EVYzg1v.png

Order I did it in is in quadrants (math grid) 1, 4, 3, 2.
    Should I be investing more time on this stuff? I know I didn't spend an equal amount of time on all of them.

I'll still keep the one that I rendered earlier because I think it's too early to abandon. I'll be tweaking it a bit because I don't really like how it turned out.

Edit ===
    Added more details.
    77jUqtS.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is color for one the the daggers. It took me twice the amount of time I usually would do mainly because my computer froze and I didn't save for a while. :(
    SZ6tuBT.png
    Wing or no wing?
    I'll also be doing one more.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a low poly model with just the diffuse.
    I changed the diffuse to give it more contrast.
    I'm hoping to be able subsurf this and do some hard surface poly modeling/sculpting to get some good normals.

The artifact on the right fin is just shading.
    g7w6Vb0.png

For those who are wondering, this dagger is either going to be similar to a nautilus shell (Flat or painted-like surface) or its going to be similar to the texture on slark, where his the scales protrude a bit. (the red one will be the scales and the blue one would be something like bio luminescence)

I would like to hear opinions or suggestions.
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Just a quick note, but it's important to zoom out and check how the detail looks at approximate game resolution. The blue veins and stuff look cool, but zoomed out they just get blurred out.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My refined color map.

KS2Knb8.png

Any suggestions?

Note: I did not see eazy's comment until I finished this.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I feel like your item doesn't have enough resolution. What is your current tri count compared to the limit? I would recommend you add a bit more definition to the blade parts as it feels a little too jagged at the moment. It's also ver square which is especially noticeable on the handle. You should be able to afford more definition at the moment, and that can only improve the look of your weapon.

I agree about the point made about your texture by eazy.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    I feel like your item doesn't have enough resolution. What is your current tri count compared to the limit? I would recommend you add a bit more definition to the blade parts as it feels a little too jagged at the moment. It's also ver square which is especially noticeable on the handle. You should be able to afford more definition at the moment, and that can only improve the look of your weapon.

I agree about the point made about your texture by eazy.

When you said square, did you mean flat? I didn't apply any texture except the color (diffuse) map.

I totally agree on the detail of the texture, but I think I'll keep it until I rig it. Any other suggestions to the new model?
    I added some more vertices and smoothed it out a bit(Bottom Left). I kept the model and I'll be using it for the lowest poly.

cCzxghV.png

Now for rigging... How do I do that..
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well since I don't know how to rig, I'll pose some concepts.
    Left is Earthshaker, Right is Crystal Maiden.

qUcoKRo.png

Can somebody help me with rigging? I want to have it rigged and seen in the dota 2 client before I make the normal, mask 1, mask 2 maps.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Well since I don't know how to rig, I'll pose some concepts.
    Left is Earthshaker, Right is Crystal Maiden.

qUcoKRo.png

Can somebody help me with rigging? I want to have it rigged and seen in the dota 2 client before I make the normal, mask 1, mask 2 maps.

put a bone at 0,0
    name it root
    skin mesh to bone
    export it all as a FBX
    export just the bone as an FBX
    ???
    Profit

:smokin:

also this

Dota2_Ward_CM01.jpg

In reguards to your designs, give them more love! Right now I'm looking at both of these and they seem identical other then a hue change, For an earthshaker ward there should be some incorpration of a totem in its design, stuff like that. Not just a pile of rocks, unless its a tiny ward, but a tiny ward is stupid unless is a rock golem with an eyeball for a face, or something. I don't know, expand on the ideas! Cheers!
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The import to Dota 2 works, but my item is invisible... Why is this happening?
    Does it have something to do with rigging? If so, how would I rig properly?
    Does it have something to do with scale? How do I fix it?

I use blender.

q7MBvqn.png

Can somebody help me?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    You have to rig it to the existing 'weapon_2' bone and it has to be aligned with the default weapon. Before you skin it to the bone, delete history and freeze transforms too, or whatever that would translate to in Blender
  • branch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm writing this by memory and from my phone, so it may not be 100% accurate.
    First thing check that the object origin is at 0,the scale is at 1 and the rotation at 0 (at The top of the sidebar opened by "n"). Then go To The object panel in the sidebar and set the parent by selecting the model First, Then Bone and Then weapon_2. Last Step is To switch To Edit mode and move the weapon To The position / size / rotation of the original one.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sukotto
    I'm not sure what you mean, so I'm assuming what you are saying is the same thing what branch is saying.

@branchhttp:
    I still can see it.
    Error in the compilation that I found:
    "Error in FBX Conversion: - "Zero skin weights on one or more vertices"
    I don't know what that really means.
    This is the hierarchy.
    lpiYq0I.png

I have very little experience in rigging.

--- update ---
    There are no errors in compilation, well none that I see.
    [html]Starting import of Blade ofthe Abyss...
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_color.tga
    - Compilation successful.
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_color.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_normal.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_normal.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask1.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask1.vtf
    Compiling TGA: materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask2.tga
    Compiling VTF: materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask2.vtf
    Compiling VMT: materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.vmt
    CTargetVMT::Compile OK! - materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.vmt
    Compiling DMX: models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.dmx
    Compiling QC: models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.qc
    Compiling MDL: models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.mdl
    Compiling ZIP: models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.zip
    - added materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.vmt
    - added materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_color.vtf
    - added materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_color.tga
    - added materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_color.txt
    - added materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_normal.vtf
    - added materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_normal.tga
    - added materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_normal.txt
    - added materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask1.vtf
    - added materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask1.tga
    - added materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask1.txt
    - added materials\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask2.vtf
    - added materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask2.tga
    - added materialsrc\models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss_mask2.txt
    - added models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.mdl
    - added models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.dx90.vtx
    - added models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.vvd
    - added models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.qc
    - added models\items\slark\0x03fa19ed\blade_ofthe_abyss\blade_ofthe_abyss.dmx
    [/html]

What do you think the problem is? I've checked and I think now that i correctly rigged it, but I still can't see the item. Can/does someone want to compile for me just to see if it it is just me or to see if it is something wrong with the files?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found the problem to my invisible mesh!!! It was just my textures.
    Also its rigged wrong which is weird because I basically put my weapon on top of the Dota 2 weapon.
    SNtSz2o.png
    So here is the picture of the export (maybe not the exact ones I used, I can't remember the settings i put). Which settings do I use?
    R42EEju.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured out the problem, in my color map, the alpha was black. I kept, when people told me to check the alpha, I kept looking at the mask 1 and mask 2, trying to figure out where the map was.

bhaANpJ.png

I want some comments before I publish this. I'm not sure if I should be the one compiling because my computer cant run dota 2 in the best quality. So this screenshot is from my computer quality.

Item
    Essence of the Deep

-Blue stuff = essence
    -It's red because most creatures that live in darkness cannot see red. So they won't be able the see the blade from far
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New concepts, Cant figure out the color. I'm deciding to make this weapon have a cool theme.
    e0UpgNu.png
    What do you think, concept isn't finished yet.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started not liking the concept so i made a new one, trying to make a nautilus shell design. It took me a while and through many mistakes I bring fish courier concepts and the dagger!! (This dagger will be part of a set)
    xbVHsze.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I messed around with the concept and made this
    5rTpdkM.png
    This is the high Poly sculpt
    hTzOeqg.png

Comments? Also, I'm wondering how to sculpt without getting artifacts on the edges.
    I tried just using the dynamic tessellation from both sculptris and blender but then it caused some artifacts on the edges. So the High-Poly sculpt was a result from using multi resolution(blender)
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I refined the base mesh and high poly, It just felt a little plain.
    I keep having to re-do everything because I don't get things right the first time :(.

q0P2rNv.png

The low poly is the top and the bottom one is the high poly
    It turned out great(low poly) 374 tris and I feel like it is the most optimized as it can get!

XmLR3b6.png

Any tips on how to color this thing? Or some advice on the color scheme? I was thinking the pattern would be like a nautilus shell but with cool colors instead of warm colors.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I'd suggest trying out 3-4 different variations if you're not sure what you wanna do. Personally, it really helps to narrow it down or even come up with completely different schemes.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    I'd suggest trying out 3-4 different variations if you're not sure what you wanna do. Personally, it really helps to narrow it down or even come up with completely different schemes.

What do you mean by that? Paint it three to four different ways?

I'm also having trouble detailing this texture. As you can see in the picture below, I don't really have many details. It looks too plain for me. How do I make it look like it is more detailed (so far I've used the basic hard/soft round brush to just make the shading and the color gradients.)?
    Its just a color map.
    w1EykqA.png

This is the image with a brush(stock brush) that I meddled with in the brush presets. (I didn't finish this because my computer was acting up, and I'll start later with a fresh eye)
    JCFJMkc.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I followed Soudnik's advice and information provided by ctrlpaint and made many color schemes using the idea.
    pVCFqzP.png

I've settled with this color scheme, I haven't made any masks yet. But I like how this turned out.
    UM6q0PG.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N0J5Uc0.png

Well, I took a little break from the slark set I'm making, so here's a concept of a jug set. I'm looking to collaborate on this one so if you want it, first to reply gets to work on the concept. (granted that you've done a set before in the workshop).

I'll add color if somebody actually wants to do this.

One last thing. I was hoping that I could make this set with the texture changing depending on the amount of wins from the dire and radiant side. (radiant, the set would look brigheter. Dire, the set would look darker.) Can I do that?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SW62mdR.png
    I did the part of the shoulder (Fish Head), and later I'll make the jaw. Comments?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a blob. I can't really find any shapes in it except for the two indents that I'm guessing are eyes? You really gotta define your shapes more there because right now even with you saying it's a fish head, I don't see it :S
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On5dvxh.png
    Updated. This will be used as a base for the sculpting. Comments?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I updated recently. 5 days goes fast.

Well here's the sculpt for the shoulder of slark.
    AeMANNK.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, it's quite blobby and lacks definition. make the shapes bigger - keep in mind ingame the item will be about x20 times smaller than it is in your pic right now. Make sure the shapes are still readable from a distance.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, it's quite blobby and lacks definition. make the shapes bigger - keep in mind ingame the item will be about x20 times smaller than it is in your pic right now. Make sure the shapes are still readable from a distance.

Still blobby? Well, I was trying to go for a carapace look on the head. What do you recommend, making that thing protruding from the upper jaw even bigger? Should I just stark hacking away some parts of it with a brush?

I also tried making this semi-realistic, small teeth and small eyes are prevalent to fish that live in darkness. So I was hoping it would work. (Slarks shoulder item is like 1/2 of his body size)

Thank you for the comment.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    http://www.skullsunlimited.com/userfiles/image/variants_large_5572.jpg

http://images.crestock.com/420000-429999/422345-xs.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/125/412517914_12b5339b24.jpg

Maybe look at fish skulls so you can have an idea of the sort of indents you can make. Also if realism is affecting your concept in a negative way then don't use it, because in-game no-one will be particularly excited by attention to realism that limits the creativity. There are some other ways you could indicate its a fish that lives in the darkness, for instance that makes me think of things on the seabed. Fish that live close to the ground often have this shape: http://www.ed.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/dreamstime_6187875.jpg so they can eat the things growing on the rocks better (basically their cross-section is a semi-circle with the flat part facing the ground). Also when I think of deep sea sea I think of lumbering behemoths that are huge and also dinosaur-esque.
    Hope this helps!
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eJAv7qc.png

Still blobby? If it is, can you tell me the definition of blobby, so i can get understand what parts are bad?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2GujRZk.png
    Added more definition, i think.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fekHKR7.png
    Done with texture, but i still need to refine the mask.
    Also rig is wrong... Any Idea the problem? I checked the transform of both of the shoulder rig and my item have their transform of zero.
  • Kurturo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that shark piece gonna be a shoulder piece? Maybe it would look good as a head piece.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurturo wrote: »
    Is that shark piece gonna be a shoulder piece? Maybe it would look good as a head piece.

I didn't really want to make it a head piece because it would kind of draw the eyes away from the real head. Plus I was following the convention of a fish head on the shoulder.

Can anyone help me with my offset issue?
    This is my rig in view port,

IfXFPAM.png

But in-game there is an offset, similar to the one in the previous post. The red dots indicate the bones my shoulder mesh uses. Root, Shoulderpad
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since I'm kind of stuff on the offset issue, here my new concept for the bracer.
    PAoNEON.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nQ1DyG0.png
    Updated and changed things from my original concept. Now the item is swallowing the arm like a gulper eel.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Are you still using Blender to sculpt this?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you still using Blender to sculpt this?

I use blender for the base mesh and the general proportions. I use sculptris for the details. I'm still inexperienced in sculpting so it isn't as great as others.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some concepts I drep for a set I was thinking of. Its more of the underwater vents. I was hoping some smoke particle effects as well as a custom animation, but that's out of my reach.
    So far I made the shoulder piece and the weapon. The shoulder piece is still being worked on.
    HqS8rUO.png
    d6OYGyX.png

Here's a pudge set concept. A butcher, with some tools and the hook.
    -apron
    -plastic gloves
    -hat
    -hook
    -knife.

ok6PGRN.png

I've finished my bracer and touched up on my current shoulder piece (still has the rigg issue) and I'll rigg soon. I'll post pictures when its ready.

Comments on the concepts? I know that they aren't as good as other people's but you get the idea. Right?

If anyone wants to collaborate on any of the concepts then message me on this thread or private message me in my polycount account.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated, two different styles. How comments? If anyone wants to collaborate on this message me. The dagger is in the above post.

D3AnepI.png
    Jhxmith.png
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1gOFHD.png

Concepts i made for single items.