Home Dota 2

People ripping off other peoples designs

Hey guys. This is a bit of a bitch post, but this situation is really bothering me and the friend I worked with.

The latest Juggernaught set is pretty much a direct rip of a set I uploaded earlier in The year.
ignore the little details that make them different, the theme is exactly the same. They are so close that basically every item is the same, but with more crap added on theirs. This is the set in question.http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20662?r=c9

And my design.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=249975472

The main thing we did to make our set stand out was to do away with Jugs mask and give him a Sandagosa style hat with runes on the face. This set is the same. Our set has a shoulder covering cloak with a sword on the back. So does this set. We had arm wraps, so does this set. We have baggy pants with Japanese style shoes done up with straps. Surprise surprise so does this set.

The only item that doesn't feel like a direct rip is the sword.

Both sets change Juggernauts look and silhouette that he could almost be a new character. This was a risk we decided to take and were waiting on Valve to make the decision.
This set has been able to skip these concerns by packaging it with a ticket.

This is more than just a coincidence to me, or both parties having the same idea at once and I just can't let it go.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Tbh, thematically they are similar, but execution wise they look completely different to me.

To be clear, if these 2 sets arrived on my desktop for 'checking' In no way would I assume these one of these people ripped the other one off.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Well....

Devil's Advocate: It is a fairly 'generic' oriental theme. They both look nice and both pretty similar, but neither imo really stands out from what a basic oriental themed set would look like.
    Unfortunately unless you have some VERY UNIQUE and original ideas it's hard to claim you're the only one with that idea or even that they copied you.

As a fellow workshop artist: I feel your pain.
    For TF2 I made, upload at least 10 items that are now in game by others. Some which I thought were VERY unique, other just stuff no one had thought of before.

Tattoo arms, I made and posted on SPUF at least 6 months to a year before Valve released them as promo from another game.

I did Demo boots to match his armor (posted them here at PC) that got really high ratings. One week later (just enough time to make a set for a good artist) a fellow polycounter uploaded a 'better set' and they were in game in a week.

I did a heavy Ogre jaw years ago., put in from someone else last halloween.

I did heavy Ogre armor, someone else this halloween....

Engi brain under glass dome, last halloween by someone else.

Pyro Clown, game promo.... Brass knuckles (eviction notice afterwards). The list goes on...

What can you do, try to make something so cool no one can deny yours is the first/best and hope for the best.

I try not to look at workshop because I don't want to 'take ideas' or be influenced by them. I try to look at what is in game and do something not in game. At least I know I'm not ripping someone off on purpose. It's really all you can do. You can't copywrite these ideas.
  • Fluoxetine
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    The only item that doesn't feel like a direct rip is the sword.

I got that one covered :P
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=215172035

Artist's borrow from each other all the time, and unless it's a shameless direct ripoff/copy, there's nothing you can do about it, nor should you be concerned.

Seriously, don't worry about it. The way I see it, it's the production quality that set's you apart from stuff like this, and IMO your set is superior to the one in question, by far.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    It's quite common to work on an item independently, only to later find out that it looks like something from a show, another game, or something already on the workshop.

Rarely is it due to someone ripping off someone else, and in this particular case I dont think the DC set had anything to do with yours. Thematically they might be similar, but Kunkka's use of shapes and colours is radically different from what I see in your set. Unfortunate, because now that they've let that similar set in I should think yours will almost definitely not join it.
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Soooo they both have the sombrero-hat thingie, the mask and the poncho...
    Not really a rip off from my point of view.
    The main focus of that set is the sword and the back arsenal.
    Your's also focuses on the sword (thought a really different one) and on the hat.
    Taking that into consideration, I really feel like both sets are quite different.
  • RavaFX
    Hello and greetings,

I rarely join in on the talks but I would like to refer to Shcoks Death Prophet set that was remade by Keen i believe, the similarity rate was much higher than this set and it got in. Contrary to how shock usually behaves he seems very happy that the item got in, even though he made no profit from it.

Its art, and we are all being paid way more than we deserve for the amount of work we put it, and we do it because its all part of the game.

I think we should all be happy that a community made item got in, thats what matters. We are all fellow artists and brothers in our goal.

But well done on your set. It was well made.
  • SLIMEface
    Offline / Send Message
    SLIMEface polycounter lvl 7
    Rava- What are you talking about? Do you have a link to shocks dp concept?
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    "I think we should all be happy that a community made item got in, thats what matters. We are all fellow artists and brothers in our goal.":"

Thats a load of hippie bull. We are fellow artist , but the goal diferes from person to person adn intellectual property theft is a verry serious offense .

Here I dont agree with PoPcorn as Its changed enough to not infringe ( even tho I think his set looks far supperior quality wise) .

"Its art, and we are all being paid way more than we deserve for the amount of work we put it, and we do it because its all part of the game." - even tho I disagree , lets say its true , that doesnt excuse stealing from other artist couse he can afford it .

"Contrary to how shock usually behaves he seems very happy " : I dont speak for him , but if he still thinks its a stolen concept , he is not happy .

Snowstorm: Sadly I kinda agree with you:(