Home General Discussion

Breaking Bad

Replies

• slipsius
    Ya, they are definitely going to have to cram a lot into the last episode. i was surprized by how slow this one was, to be honest. it was still good, but with how the previous episodes have been, more and more tense each time, was surprized it took a step back.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    notman wrote: »
    I really want to punch Walt Jr in the face. Am I alone on this?
    I dunno man! I felt the way he acted was totally reasonable. Walt has completely destroyed the family at this point, and Flynn has just realized that his father is not at all the man he thought he was. Plus, he really admired Hank. I'd be pissed too.

I am really curious as to how his story plays out, but I just can't side with Walt anymore.
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @notman - I felt the opposite. Walt Jr is the moral center of everything. He's just hurt that everyone kept him in the dark when his whole makeup stands for being handi-capable. Poor kid feels betrayed by everyone and they laid a lot of heavy shit on him all at once!

It wasn't fair doing that all in the car wash office. Should have drove him home and punched what's-her-face in the mouth on the way out. Skyler should have been the one to tell him in privacy, at a more comfortable pace.
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah Walt Jr acted as he should. For him money is not most important at this point.

Also Jesses plot twist pretty dark...
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    He's obviously going to go Commando on the neo nazi compound with that m60.
  • slipsius
    Between how flynn reacted, and seeing his ex lover say the man she use to love is no longer there, and that hes someone completely different, i think walt finally realized hes not the good guy that hes trying to be. hes trying to be the good guy to give his family money, but he now knows that its not like that anymore, and that hes something different. so now its time to go out in a blaze of glory.
  • Memory
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I'm still team Walt because I can totally see how he thinks what he's done all along was for his family, and now he feels betrayed by everyone.

I know things were getting intense but I can't help but think that if Flynn hadn't called the cops, things would be playing out a little differently. They would have ran as a family, and Walt would have taken out his enemies, and they live happily ever after in the cabin in the woods.

I feel like Todd is going to blast Flynn next...Lucky he wasnt home. You think if Flynn was home when Todd broke in to talk with Skyler that he would have shut his mouth? Yeah...
  • slipsius
    Well, lydia basically told todd to go back and finish the job. So, i hope he takes out his whole family....

And as unlikely as it would be, i hope walt takes out all of todds crew, just to be left there with jessie, just staring at each other.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Man Jesse's face is all kinds of messed up.

That's what I took away from this week's Breaking Bad.
  • Kave
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    Incredibly good episode yet again, will be a shame when it's over but at least it will be remembered as one of the best TV shows ever, can't wait to see how they finish it off.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I can't wait to see what he does with the M60, I'd think he'd use that to deal with Todd's crew and the ricen to deal with his enemies at Gray Matter. It looks like he's given up on everything by nearly turning himself in when realizing he can no longer help his family, and ends up going full Heisenberg just to show the world his ego before dying.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Shiniku wrote: »
    I dunno man! I felt the way he acted was totally reasonable. Walt has completely destroyed the family at this point, and Flynn has just realized that his father is not at all the man he thought he was. Plus, he really admired Hank. I'd be pissed too.

I understand why he's pissed, but the way he kept scream kinda got on my nerves. It seems like he would have started asking questions, or asked Walt where Hank was.

I didn't think about it until now, but Skylar said Flynn's staying at his friends house, which has probably been the case since everything happened. So maybe that's why he doesn't care about his mom getting the money. I know he doesn't care about the money (overall), but I'm assuming he'd want his mom to not worry about their debts as much.

Hopefully Walt got back to his cabin, to get the rest of his $, rather than surviving on the $100k he had in that box.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Beyond the moral objection of not wanting what is essentially blood money, I think Flynn knows there's no way they could ever use that money anyway. Him and Skylar will be under close scrutiny for years to come, accepting and using that money could only lead to jail time.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the obvious flaw in Walt. It's killing him that his family can't use that money, which was his sole reason for collecting it. I don't know what he expected them to do with that money. It's not like Skylar could launder it, as she had in the past.
  • vargatom
    ebagg wrote: »
    ends up going full Heisenberg just to show the world his ego before dying.

If the visual symbolism of the show has any truth to it, then the Heisenberg persona has already lost on the first day of his exile. It was just not strong enough to get him through that gate, neither on the first day nor on any other for months. My interpretation is that it's long gone, and what we see instead is is the real Walter, finally surfacing after decades of being held back.

See, ever since he left Gray Matter, Walter has been treated as a failure by pretty much everyone, even his own family probably; but certainly by his students and his co-founders and so on. He originally created the Heisenberg persona as a fake identity to protect his civil self from the drug trade, but it ended up as a huge overcompensation for all the offenses he had to take. That's what lead him to be in the "empire business" instead of just trying to provide for his family.

But I think that now the stay in the cabin and all the abandonment from everyone has transformed the original persona. There's just no Heisenberg any more, because Walter White doesn't need to become someone else to deal with his frustrations. Who this new version is and what he's going to do is still undecided. He might want revenge - or he might want redemption...

TLDR - if the hat stays in the cabin, then there's no Heisenberg, just a new and transformed Walter.
  • dissonance
    slipsius wrote: »
    i was surprized by how slow this one was, to be honest. it was still good, but with how the previous episodes have been, more and more tense each time, was surprized it took a step back.
    Seems like the calm before the storm to me. This show has done a pretty good job with pacing in the past.
    slipsius wrote: »
    Between how flynn reacted, and seeing his ex lover say the man she use to love is no longer there, and that hes someone completely different, i think walt finally realized hes not the good guy that hes trying to be. hes trying to be the good guy to give his family money, but he now knows that its not like that anymore, and that hes something different. so now its time to go out in a blaze of glory.
    I agree with Gretchen; Walt's dead now, only Heisenberg is left. His son's reaction and Gretchen's comment were the last two straws, and he only has about a month left to live anyway. It seems to me like the last thing he'll be physically capable of doing will be going back to ABQ and taking out the Todd Squad, though I have no idea how he's going to react to Jessie.

Also, I noticed that after the intro, Marie (and the feds) were strangely absent from this episode. I have this notion in the back of my head that Marie is gonna be the one to kill Heisenberg, and I can't quite shake it.
  • dissonance
    vargatom wrote: »
    But I think that now the stay in the cabin and all the abandonment from everyone has transformed the original persona. There's just no Heisenberg any more, because Walter White doesn't need to become someone else to deal with his frustrations. Who this new version is and what he's going to do is still undecided.
    Oh damn, good point. I'd thought that it was something like The Narrator becoming Tyler Durden, but now that you mention it, it does seem like some kind of inbetween person has been created.
  • Memory
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1hxA_Nlf4Y"]How Breaking Bad Should End - Key of Awesome #77! - YouTube[/ame]

I really like their take on the Walt Jr. story arch...
  • vargatom
    dissonance wrote: »
    I'd thought that it was something like The Narrator becoming Tyler Durden, but now that you mention it, it does seem like some kind of inbetween person has been created.

That's actually pretty similar! Tyler was a mask - or something inbetween - that "Jack" only needed until he himself could take a real step forward. He destroyed Tyler when he finally became someone new and didn't need him any more. Difference is that Walter wasn't going to sleep when Heisenberg came out ;)
  • ILLMATICC
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    hmmm maybe Jessie will be the one to put down Walt in the end, it would be fitting imo
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Anyone catch Colbert's Americone Dream cameo?
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    vargatom wrote: »
    TLDR - if the hat stays in the cabin, then there's no Heisenberg, just a new and transformed Walter.

Good point, although I would argue that Walter and Heisenberg have merged into one. Maybe he doesn't want to get revenge on Gray Matter, but does want to show that the sweet, humble man they crushed has become "more" successful than they have. To show the world that Walter White is a genius and is no longer anyone's doormat.

Since the series drips in symbolism, it started at as "pure Walter" being clean shaven, with hair, while "pure Heisenburg" was wearing the hat w/ facial hair. Now his hair is back to how it used to be AND he's kept the facial hair, I take that as we are now seeing "Walt-berg".
  • vargatom
    Also pay attention to the colors, Walter was usually muted, but Heisenberg always wore at least some black...
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    My take: Walt had finally realized he had lost everyone he cared about. Hank is dead, Skylar has moved on, and Jr hates him. He was finally broken, and ready to give up (and turn himself in). Then he watches the interview, with the Grey people. They blew off all of his contributions (to protect themselves). At that point, he snapped back into Heisenberg, who had become dormant prior to that point. He's back to wanting recognition. There was no more admiration for his brilliance.

Remember, at one point, they really played up that the meth success was his recognition that he had been missing since his friends left him behind, to create Grey Tech.

I think we will have Heisenberg back this weekend
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea, the underlying loss of his success with greymatter was underneath the surface the entire series. that speech he gave to jesse shows how bitter he was about not having part of a billion dollar company. sold his share for 5000 or something.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    My prediction... This was all a drug infused dream Walt had during his first Chemo session and he will wake up....

Please don't let this be the reality...
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I fear Walking Dead's conclusion will be (Rick will wake up after surgery from when he got shot, in ep1).
  • vargatom
    Well if he goes into Heisenberg mode, what can he do to gain recognition as a brilliant mind? A machine gun could only serve him in a bloody revenge but that won't make him look clever. But this is the exciting part here, I guess, having little idea about what is going to happen now ;)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what makes the show great. They only leave breadcrumbs and it's rarely obvious.

I don't know that he's going for brilliance anymore... just trying to set things right, and make people remember him. Maybe he's prepping for death, and plans to go down in flames. Maybe putting an end to what he started.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I had a similar idea where he becomes an author and writes a book and this is the one he writes - or was it all a dream? I think Jesse will get out by cooking some nasty gases up to make Todd unconscious, or Walt will come and save the day / both of them take out the neo-nazis. Shooting the girl makes what Walt did minor in comparison, it wasn't even ricin. The principle of it was messed up, and that is what the message of the series is I think.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I saw this in my twitter feed:
    "Walt Jr. grows up, opens an arcade called Flynn's, AND THAT'S WHY TRON IS ALL BLUE"
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I have no idea what to expect, and that's why I love this show
  • dissonance
    My prediction... This was all a drug infused dream Walt had during his first Chemo session and he will wake up....
    Nah, it was obviously Jessie daydreaming in chem class all along. :poly142:
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    My prediction:

One some really wacked out messed up level, Walt somehow implicates grey matter in the manufacturing of Meth.

:/
  • Memory
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    My prediction:

One some really wacked out messed up level, Walt somehow implicates grey matter in the manufacturing of Meth.

MIND FUCKING BLOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    My prediction:

Haha.... You know we had actually said that at work. That he frames them some how.
  • dissonance
    Whoaaaa, I could totally see that happening.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Pff, that would feel kind of lame to me. I mean they never really did something truly wrong, why make them the big losers in the end then?

I just keep thinking how that machinegun Walt bought is so unlike anything else we expect from Walt, I really wonder how that will pan out. The only reason I can think of he'd need that, is to go against Jack and his thugs. And even then, Walt going all Rambo?
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Thing is, Walt isnt exactly an expert with firearms, we haven't seen him use them much (especially large weapons) and he has always been a bit awkward around them (remember when he was buying that pistol?)

To suddenly change into Rambo and take down a whole gang doesn't seem likely to me...but something heavy is obviously gonna go down..
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Exactly, that's why it's just weird to begin with that he bought it. Perhaps he would get someone else to use, it but I can't think of anyone close enough to him to want/be able to do that.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    If I remember correctly he was trying to get Saul to contact a few people he knew as hired guns before he started coughing and spluttering and Saul made a quick exit, he could be getting hired help...
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Cranston said it ends in typical Breaking Bad style. So it may be him trying to use that gun, and failing.
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Cranston tweeted once, that "if Walt was dreaming, he'd wake up from this nightmare". that, plus historical context of the series has me thinking it will all tumble down like a house of cards with no happy ending.

Seeing the early episodes in the marathon that started last night, I REALLY hope he doesn't do anything too harsh with GreyMatter. Oh, and dude told a bunch of people at the party about how White was a principal member in the founding of GreyMatter, and that is name even forms half of the company brand. Really hoping Walt's ego doesn't drive him to much further in that direction... who knows.

ONE MORE.
  • slipsius
    Dunno how walt will die, but the final scene will be after hes dead, skyler gets a package from him. its a tape. and the final few minutes are a monologue of walt telling it how it is. his full on confession or his apology, or something.
  • vargatom
    In my opinion Walter needs to learn a few more lessons, needs to see how his own pride and desires were the cause of all the bad things that happened. He should not be allowed to just simply die before understanding that.

After all, the biggest lies were what he told to himself. That it's all for the family and that he's better than anyone else and so on.
  • slipsius
    That finale was.... Perfection.... Absolute Perfection.... Best Finale of any series EVER... Thank you Vince Gilligan!
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Fistbump to all my fellow BB nerds. It's been great
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I'm so sad now :(

It was so hard seeing Walter dead, it's stuck in my head.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved seeing Walt use his intellect to once again take down a kingpin, but this time to make it final. So sad at the end though.
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    aajohnny wrote: »
    I'm so sad now :(

It was so hard seeing Walter dead, it's stuck in my head.

Yeah... same here