Home Dota 2

Dota 2 workshop monthly competition

Replies

• Paskie
    Paskie, The main thing I instantly saw was you are rushing into detail right away, without blovking down all your major forms. The major forms help to give it its specific look, not the details you put ontop of it.

You should try making a throw away blockout sculpt. Dont event think about high detail stuff, just make sure it looks good with large forms, the silhouette looks good and the lines aork together.

The blockout phase for me is a spiritual process and its all about the feel of the shape emerging from the screen. Here is a vid I recorded of my blockout phase. Notice the use of reference and my focus on the proportions and silhouette.
    http://www.twitch.tv/anuxinamoon/b/357410775

Cool! I'll check it out! I couldn't find any good sideview pics on a snow leopard, if anyone gets over one hook me up! I'll do some more researching today. Thx for tips!
  • Paskie
    Well that was weird, suddenly i'm finding all sorts of good reference pictures. Also Tvidotto! You had some good stuff on your dropbox to share? :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    20tp8pe.jpg

Sorry its a photo, the computer hung as I was painting your paintover! You need to look at more owl reference and feline reference to get the iconic proportions from both. Here is an example I did in a few minutes because I've just come off looking at 500 owl and cat pictures as I made my owlion xD

awesome anuxi, i was trying to get parts of each animal but your suggestions is a lot better =] ty!!!
    Paskie wrote: »
    Well that was weird, suddenly i'm finding all sorts of good reference pictures. Also Tvidotto! You had some good stuff on your dropbox to share? :)

sending you a pm
  • Paskie
    Thx buddy! Link working like a charm!
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    i would also like the link so when i'm done with the armor i can just flow in to the liger
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    then mirana it is
    1R7qG
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone wrote: »
    then mirana it is
    1R7qG

Aw man now i got to think of a new big cat it like my idea but much, much nicer. good sir your skill is great
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Damm thats looking cool, Crazy!!

Got my texture pretty much done, for now.
    owlion_textured.jpg
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good Anuxi. It feels like the rear flanks and cloth saddle could use a bit more detail though, even if it's just strokes of color for some implied detail. The visual density is all at the front right now and tapers off quick leaving the back looking rather sparse.

Maybe none of that is an issue from game-cam, but I think you see a fair amount of the back end when leaping around.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Looks great, Anuxi!

I agree somewhat with what Frump says, however, I've been watching a bit of your stream an it doesn't seem to be an issue in-game so I think it's fine.

Question; what did you use to get those renders? Is is that the custom dota 2 shader someone made or are they from the Alien Swarm SDK?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I can see what you mean, frumps. I was looking at it this morning as I was posting and had the same thought. I do want to keep it fairly plain for rest areas but it does need a touch more colour.

I'm using xoliul shader 2.0 for the presentation renders. :D
  • zicoV
    Quick sketch of the mount. It's some sort of hippogriff creature (totally not a rip off of anuxi, i swear :p)

miranamountwings.jpg
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I did my armor first so here we go ready for high-poly
    18952427.jpg
    31699319.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    zicoV wrote: »
    Quick sketch of the mount. It's some sort of hippogriff creature (totally not a rip off of anuxi, i swear :p)

miranamountwings.jpg

Hey Zico, anuxi is a "problem" for us now, everything will be compared to her mount hehehe

two guys asked me if the courier was related with his mount and now i decided to make a new one =]

i have some animal anatomy charts, let me know if you want i can send you a link

and that wing you need to worry to not change too much the model sillhouette

and it looks too small to support the weight, take in consideration the bones, you will not have a bone to move the wings and they will be stiff

---
    update!

new ideas for the courier

now a peguin/owl mix
    1RxRJ

next will be owl with a bat =]
  • zicoV
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey Zico, anuxi is a "problem" for us now, everything will be compared to her mount hehehe

two guys asked me if the courier was related with his mount and now i decided to make a new one =]

i have some animal anatomy charts, let me know if you want i can send you a link

and that wing you need to worry to not change too much the model sillhouette

and it looks too small to support the weight, take in consideration the bones, you will not have a bone to move the wings and they will be stiff

I figured the wings might be a problem :/ Well i'll keep them as a seperate mesh for now and see how big of a deal its gonna be :)

The animal anatomy charts would be great :D

Edit: btw that courier is adorable :D
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9
    I'll be jumping into this I think. Though I'm slightly doubtful at my skills at making a really quality mount so I'll wait until I finish the rest of the pieces before I start on a mount.

Great stuff so far though!
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message

owlion_textured.jpg
    thanks )) I admire your work speed :D looking nice
    I was a bit lazy today , small update on the lion
    1RGAn
  • crazyone
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja wrote: »
    Aw man now i got to think of a new big cat it like my idea but much, much nicer. good sir your skill is great
    ty ) sorry for making something similar to your idea (
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    He seems a bit top heavy, maybe extend the mane down to his chest more?
  • Fanatik
    Hey guys
    I've wanted to reboot some sort of portfolio for quite some time but never got the motivation ... this monthly comp is perfect for it :poly142: so here is my concept. I'll probably do a couple more before jumping in Zbrush.
    Mirana_concept_01.jpg
  • I-ninja
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone wrote: »
    ty ) sorry for making something similar to your idea (

It's all right i'm doing armor first anyway
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose I should post my progress so far:
    ZLXTR6N.png
    The sculpt is still pretty early days, I decided against sculpting small scales, I tested it out but it was really busy, might just add a light scale on to the texture.

Lennyagony Definitely planning on doing a full set for this!
    Tvidotto A penguin/owl is unfairly cute - can't wait to see dat waddle.
  • PoPcorn
    Theres some sort of dinosaur creep isn't there? maybe take a look at how they did the scales for that.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18

owlion_textured.jpg

Damn, it's so cute and magnificent at the same time that i want one for myself and after that living in an adventure like the Neverending Story
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4

The sculpt is still pretty early days, I decided against sculpting small scales, I tested it out but it was really busy, might just add a light scale on to the texture.

Looking great, allready wanted to close the browser, but I had to react after seeing this :) Can't wait to see how your set will look like!

The Tiger and Owl creature are also looking great! It's hard to stand out with those kind of models. Luckily I'm not taking part at this one.. :p
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Bronto - looks great so far, and im thinking good call about the scales.

crazyone - looking solid, although i agree with Anuxi on the top heavy. And i havnt taken a look at the rig yet but i would worry the braids at the front would be static? any bones on that rig to support movement in that area?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    ZLXTR6N.png

that is amazing bronto! great work

@crazyone - you should use the steam nome on the forum so people can recognize you =]
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @crazyone - you should use the steam nome on the forum so people can recognize you =]

Or the other way around :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    that penguin owl is hard to get looking nice

here are some more ideas
    1SaXg

i think the last one look more a penguin, the others are like small normal birds

maybe i got used to them and preffer the newest drawing =]
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey there guys,
    first time posting in this thread. Maybe my question is really stupid and has been answered more then a million time, but did few research on the forum and on google and couldn't really find a 100$ certain answer.
    So here ya go. I was planning to give it a shot and try to do a courrier for the workshop, tho a lot of people have been telling me that you needed to animate and rig in MAYA, and that you couldn't use 3ds max for it. Tho on the valve website I don't see any specification of that kind, other then the exported model need to be in a folder called ''maya''
    So does anyone know if we can use 3ds max to riggued and animate a courier for the game?

sorry again is this question has been asked, answered before
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits wrote: »
    Hey there guys,
    first time posting in this thread. Maybe my question is really stupid and has been answered more then a million time, but did few research on the forum and on google and couldn't really find a 100$ certain answer.
    So here ya go. I was planning to give it a shot and try to do a courrier for the workshop, tho a lot of people have been telling me that you needed to animate and rig in MAYA, and that you couldn't use 3ds max for it. Tho on the valve website I don't see any specification of that kind, other then the exported model need to be in a folder called ''maya''
    So does anyone know if we can use 3ds max to riggued and animate a courier for the game?

sorry again is this question has been asked, answered before

it is not a stupid question

teorically you dont need to use maya, just smd or fbx files are enough, but the ask for the original files for some adjust on their side, and as far as i know they use just maya

you could try the dev.dota forum, they could give you a better information
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    sketching out a mirana ward! pretty simple but it's fun reusing bits of the hero design

http://puu.sh/1SkhE

edit: colours!

1Sky9
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    & is the best Tvidottoooo! 7 7 7 7 7 7! :D

Also nice ward mate :D
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    & is the best Tvidottoooo! 7 7 7 7 7 7! :D

Also nice ward mate :D

hahaha Anuxi, my girlfriend made the same but with just "7 7 7"

ok, going to the zoo tomorrow!!! just checked and they have those birds here =]

@beetrootChan

man, its simple but very representative, the design is great!!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Fanatik wrote: »
    Hey guys
    I've wanted to reboot some sort of portfolio for quite some time but never got the motivation ... this monthly comp is perfect for it :poly142: so here is my concept. I'll probably do a couple more before jumping in Zbrush.
    Mirana_concept_01.jpg

strangelly that post never appear to me, i received an email about it but was unable to see it on the forum

the concept looks really nice and original, great work!
  • brojomaan
    You guys are all inspirational, i will definately start to create some mirana sets now for sure!

I also have a questions (sorry if these come up else were but i have look on the internet and found no useful stuff).I'ive just started using Zbrush but i feel so lost in that program, is their any tutorials you guys looked at to get a rough idea off how to use it efficently?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    You could try Gnomon workshop or even the zclassroom is good for learning zbrush. You need lots of practice using it to get used to it though. You can always try mudbox.

Small update, baked all the other pieces down and started laying down my base colours.
    basictexture.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    brojomaan wrote: »
    You guys are all inspirational, i will definately start to create some mirana sets now for sure!

I also have a questions (sorry if these come up else were but i have look on the internet and found no useful stuff).I'ive just started using Zbrush but i feel so lost in that program, is their any tutorials you guys looked at to get a rough idea off how to use it efficently?

you could try some 3dmotive and eat3d tutorials

digital tutors have some good one

a friend made a nice tutorial for them on modeling, look for lee magalh
  • brojomaan
    You could try Gnomon workshop or even the zclassroom is good for learning zbrush. You need lots of practice using it to get used to it though. You can always try mudbox.

Small update, baked all the other pieces down and started laying down my base colours.
    basictexture.jpg

Amazing work and thanks for the tutorials, because i'm in university i can get Mudbox for free which is handy to learn with! so Mudbox i am currently downloading.

DAT mount stands out so much its such a beautiful piece of artwork, if i ever made anything close to that id be so happy.

you could try some 3dmotive and eat3d tutorials

digital tutors have some good one

a friend made a nice tutorial for them on modeling, look for lee magalh
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work and thanks for the tutorials, because i'm in university i can get Mudbox for free which is handy to learn with! so Mudbox i am currently downloading.

DAT mount stands out so much its such a beautiful piece of artwork, if i ever made anything close to that id be so happy.

I have tried 3D Motive before, its how i really understood how to normal map on hard surface modelling which i am currently doing for a game i'm working on, would be using it if it wasn't down for maintenance!

So heres my first concept art. i call him Elle :3

EDIT:: Crits Welcome, id like to know what you think of an elephant in all

PsvoGjr.png

keep in mind the size of an elephant, you will not be able to spread miranas legs to make it fit an elephant unless you make the belly thin enough

other detail, unless you are going to do custom animations, it will move like a cat in game
  • brojomaan
    Right good point i agree with the size, i was also thinking about a kind of poof on the elephant for her to sit on.

GEgRftp.png

with the custom animations i would not mind giving that a go seeing as i'm not very versed in creating animations would be a good challenge for me and more learning involved.
    In terms of mirana and the "feel" of the character do you think a elephant could work? or do you think i should try and create something else, i was also thinking about a koala or a big husky dog
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Right good point i agree with the size, i was also thinking about a kind of poof on the elephant for her to sit on.

GEgRftp

with the custom animations i would not mind giving that a go seeing as i'm not very versed in creating animations would be a good challenge for me and more learning involved.
    In terms of mirana and the "feel" of the character do you think a elephant could work? or do you think i should try and create something else, i was also thinking about a koala or a big husky dog

in my opinion an elephant would not work because of the animations, you should go for a more feline kind of animal

but you dont need to waste the elephant idea, a good exercise is getting some characteristics of the animals you want, like the awesome beast master set that peppi did for the polycount contest, he get 2 animals to create a new one

you could use the elephant fangs on a feline animal, maybe the ears, or the cracked skin, the feet...

experiment a lot and dont discard ideas, just keep adding it

when you redraw something with a new characteristic you most of the times improve the model, then you put all of them on the side and see which ones you like more

in animation we use to say that the first idea is crappy/cliche, the second too! =]

if i may suggest, dont worry with color, just keep drawing on black and white and try diferent mixes of animals

open the mirana model and take a print screen of the bones and use it as a base, that will help you
  • brojomaan
    in my opinion an elephant would not work because of the animations, you should go for a more feline kind of animal

but you dont need to waste the elephant idea, a good exercise is getting some characteristics of the animals you want, like the awesome beast master set that peppi did for the polycount contest, he get 2 animals to create a new one

you could use the elephant fangs on a feline animal, maybe the ears, or the cracked skin, the feet...

experiment a lot and dont discard ideas, just keep adding it

when you redraw something with a new characteristic you most of the times improve the model, then you put all of them on the side and see which ones you like more

in animation we use to say that the first idea is crappy/cliche, the second too! =]

if i may suggest, dont worry with color, just keep drawing on black and white and try diferent mixes of animals

open the mirana model and take a print screen of the bones and use it as a base, that will help you

Okay so taking what you said on bored I've decided to create a few new ideas, again any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

8w93UMF.png

Eo6y9L4.png

tCl8Kzk.png

OMMpLDt.png

PD4HjFr.png
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    320x320.resizedimage

vlad finished modelling the ward already! good grief he's fast.

the moon spins around during the idle animations!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    320x320.resizedimage

vlad finished modelling the ward already! good grief he's fast.

the moon spins around during the idle animations!

adding the link to the first page! congrats man
  • Some Jerk
    @brojomaan: The unicorn would work better for the keeper of the light. I'd say go for the husky dog, just remember to make it look less cute and more dignified and noble looking.
  • Paskie
    Starting with some details. Thanks to Anuxis videos i have learned how to get much faster with sculpting items, i have not been using Zbush features so efficiently. Importing the objects as different subtools helps a lot. Thanx for that! My daughter suggested that it should be a ice leopard, i think that's a good idea. Will try to make it more frosty :)
    Have a nice weekend everyone!

xM1UDR7.png
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you could scale up the head a bit. sort of make the proportions more dramatic. Looks kinda restrained at the moment
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    that penguin owl is hard to get looking nice

here are some more ideas
    1SaXg

i think the last one look more a penguin, the others are like small normal birds

maybe i got used to them and preffer the newest drawing =]

This idea will take off and make bank, so many people in the community are crying out for a penguin courier. Not to mention myself was well, because they are the greatest animal on the planet. I swear, if I could have a pet penguin, I would!
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    brojomaan I think you should really take T_Vidotto's advice to heart, he's absolutely correct about the animations. Things like elephants, dogs and horses a) would not be able to fit Mirana's mount's rig in a way that the animal would look normal and b) all of the animations are currently for a feline creature. Your Lion/Sabretooth Lion concept could absolutely work in that regard.

I would suggest you go to the hero loadout screen and look at the default pose for all of the heroes with mounts (Batrider, Chaos Knight, Chen, Disruptor, Keeper of the Light, Luna, Mirana), look at how differently all of their stances are, even those with similar animals (CK, KOTL and Mirana/Luna).