RH2
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
RH2 polycounter lvl 5
I've been working on a script that should help with batch exporting to UDK

I think you will like it for:
  • exporting set pieces with one click
  • placement of static mesh instances
Here is a video showing the gist of how to use it. I'll go over the initial setup within UDK, the setup with Blender, and then go through the creation and export process.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8EJ5SGAsWI&feature=youtu.be

You can find the script HERE (Github)

I searched the internet trying to find a script like this, closest I found was Marko Jakšić's MAYA>UDK solution . Most of the time the search returned threads on forums.epicgames.com/forums discussing why people must export static meshes individually, and arrange everything in UDK. Which is obviously flawed thinking.

Replies

• Shift`
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RH2 wrote: »
    Most of the time the search returned threads on forums.epicgames.com/forums discussing why people must export static meshes individually, and arrange everything in UDK. Which is obviously flawed thinking.

This kind of thinking is pretty common but if you think about it you can make this really easy on yourself even if you exporting individual pieces. UDK places the object's control handle at the origin based in whatever 3d program you used. So if you built a complex object in Maya for example, and then exported each piece out, as long as you didn't move it, you can rebuild the same complex mesh because all the control points will match up.
  • hypersomniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent script man!

The t3d export is a must.

I suggest you tu post it over blender artist forum and UDN to gain visibility. This script is gold.

I noticed in the code that TD_SCALE = 50 does that mean the Blender to UDK unit conversion is by a factor of 50? Could you let the factor be set by the user?
  • RH2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RH2 polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the feedback!
    At the moment I'm working on modifying the script to interface with Unity.

I will look into adding a scale input box. I chose a scale of 50 because Blender and utgame has a 1:50 scale ratio, and I wanted each blender unit to be 1m.

Until I get around to adding the UI element, you can set the TD_SCALE to whatever you wish, and hit the "Run Script" button again. That should work as a temporary solution.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    why are you using a empty to move it by instead of just the orgin?
  • RH2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RH2 polycounter lvl 5
    Added a slider in the UI to control the scale, and made it default to 50.
    Also modified the script to replace "." characters in group names to "_" so there will be no .fbx import errors.

I will look into changing how users interact with groups, since the instances are based on the distance to the world origin. The offsets help when exporting to UDK, but are not helpful when building things out of instances in blender.

The new changes are on the github page.
  • RH2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RH2 polycounter lvl 5
    Could someone test this with Unreal Engine4? I'm curious if it would work or not.

Thanks
  • hypersomniac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just made a bug report concerning rotations.