Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Windrunner - TBD

We're doing a Windrunner set.

marinarasauce and I.

She's doing 2D I'm doing 3D.

I'm no good at writing intros.

Day 1 concept

Mvsxd.jpg

I told her Windrunner's not a schoolgirl, she's the female Tarzan. Only replace the apes with wind/air.

pIdXh.jpg

Less schoolgirl-y. Decided that instead of giving her regular pauldrons she would have a short cape on her shoulders. So she has a double tier cape. It'll make her run faster.

Obligatory.

Replies

• Haunt
    NIUdo.jpg

I told her the bows need to be more curved.

Next time I'm going to tell her to make me a sandwich.
  • Haunt
    If anyone knows how to make the weapons glow like Juggernaut's sword please let us know.
  • mjjmlandingin
    as far as i know, based on my knowledge on other game engines, you need to create a mask to indicate the areas that will glow. kinda like the emmissive maps on another game angine(UDK).

white are the glow areas, whereas to black is the dead areas.

for dota2's case, you need to create a separate map that contains all the needed maps, you need to put them on the RGB channels (like R-specular, G-glow, B-alpha?).

that's the idea, i suggest you google, emmissive map for more info.

good luck
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    If you're talking about self-illumination, you can define it by the use of masks. But if you're talking about the particle effects, they haven't published a tutorial for that yet. I think Valve will decide where to put particle effects but you can suggest that with some rendering of your own.
  • marinarasauce
    dLu7p.jpg

We decided to focus a little more on No.2 and No.5.
    (Haunt seems extra fascinated with glow effects)

This current image features some variations/ colour schemes for bow no. 2.

Really grateful for the help too, mjjmlandingin and marul. We'll go read up more on it.
  • Some Jerk
    I'm digging the headband hair in the bottom right. Not sure which bow I find to be the most unique. Windrunner already has like 9 bows. I suppose the second feathery looking bow has a certain charm to it.
  • Haunt
    pjWMQ.jpg

I did some modeling today.

Imagine the 'stem', don't know if that's the right term, of the feather to be facing the front, so the rest of it kind of wraps around. And the bits at the base of the big feather is the 'down' of feathers, which is apparently a real thing.

It'd be cool if Valve let us play with particles, then it could shed feathers during windrun or powershot or something.

Also I took a look at Juggernaut from the game. I'm starting to suspect that his glow is not from the texture masks, but from the game itself.

yZTa5.jpg

There's this weird... Glowy line...

Valve pls.
  • marinarasauce
    y1AXD.jpg
    yFwSj.jpg

Kinda irrelevant by now, but here are the final bits of the bow variation. Decided feather-bow's still the best in the end.

WxJxU.jpg
    NED0T.jpg

Moved on to hairstyles while Haunt was modelling the bow. He kinda liked the feather hairpiece in the very first hair concept I doodled up, so I went with that for a start. Things gradually got weirder and wackier as time went by (running out of ideas).

But yea. That's all I have for this progress check.