Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Razputyin
    I'm having trouble with faking volumetric lighting. ive looked at udn's volumetric guide and turorials but i'm haveing an annoying issue with my edges not blending. ScreenShot00018.bmp
    and here is my material. 2sided unlit translucent
    volumeLightMaterial.JPG
  • Razputyin
    Sorry, double posted this. I don't see a delete button.

I'm having trouble with faking volumetric lighting. ive looked at udn's volumetric guide and turorials but i'm haveing an annoying issue with my edges not blending. ScreenShot00018.bmp

and here is my material. 2sided unlit translucent

volumeLightMaterial.JPG
  • AlphaGamma
    Hello !
    I've just started using UDK, and I'm trying to give a "sketch" aesthetic to my map.
    I first thought of using a half-tone shader : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78408
    But what i REALLY would like is to be able to automatically affect a texture to the shadow, kind of like the one in the background here : http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-grE8d_BJXjM/TxjexyiglWI/AAAAAAAAA2Y/4AWiFRfZUSg/s1600/LionSketch.jpeg

Ideally, I'd like 4-5 levels of shadows, with a different texture on each (denser and denser dense hatch textures basically), but if I can start with just replacing the black shadow by a texture, I'll be quite happy !
  • Razputyin
    It was smoothing groups...
  • TH98
    Offline / Send Message
    TH98 polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys! I am pretty new to Unreal and I'm wondering if I wanted to use vertex blending on large areas of a flat floor, can I do that with brushes somehow or would I want to make the floor a static mesh?

Love, Daniel
  • aristides
    Offline / Send Message
    aristides polycounter lvl 6
    Could anyone please suggest something here. How can one control texture density depending not on the object scale but on it's size and still use object's uv's? Like on this picture:

YSLFgml.jpg
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    aristides wrote: »
    Could anyone please suggest something here. How can one control texture density depending not on the object scale but on it's size and still use object's uv's? Like on this picture:

YSLFgml.jpg

This:
    [ame="www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMvg8dHet5E"]Scale aware tiling[/ame]

Yeah its a UDK tutorial, but because the material system is the same in UE4, it will work the same there too.
  • aristides
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Obscura, but it's not what I'm looking for. I have multiple objects with the same scale but different size as shown at the picture above. And I need to have equal texture density on them.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    and you have to do it in engine and can't do it in your 3d app of choice?
  • aristides
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, yes I could play with uv's to achieve equal density like so

bpR9Yh4.jpg

but there are obvious problems with this approach. The result is not precise, I'm basically eyeballing the texture size, I would have to do this for every object that will receive the final material in the engine and if I need to make any changes to the object geometry I would have to adjust it's uv's once again. There should be much more intelligent solution than this.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    aristides wrote: »
    Thanks, Obscura, but it's not what I'm looking for. I have multiple objects with the same scale but different size as shown at the picture above. And I need to have equal texture density on them.

It does exactly what you want...I made an example so you can see :poly121:

Vm5rDqe.jpg
  • aristides
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura, unfortunately it doesn't. And the problem is in Object Radius. It gives a very good result if the proportions of your assets are, or close to 1:1, otherwise the result is unacceptable.

NNDS7ne.jpg?1
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Then I think you'll have to do this in your 3d app or you can type in the tiling with hand, because this would have been the only easy automated shader based solution. Manual adjustment through material instances can work too, but you are still eyeballing(if you want to try this, simply multiply the texturecoordinate with a scalar parameter that you can call tiling, and you can adjust in your material instances.)Do you really need the 100% accuracy btw? Actually you couldn't really be 100% accurate when you would work on a real environment, where not everything is tileable.When you have a tree for example, the bark can be tiled but not the branches/leaves so you started not getting the equalized texel ratio. This goes with most of things, which aren't just flat simple surfaces, and has any specific detail. You would be surprised how not equalized can be the texel density in the real games :) Basically its simply not possible to 100% equalize it everywhere. Especially if you have many props with random sizes.
  • tharmine
    (solution below)
    Hi all,

I am stuck as I try to render video using Matinee for my custom map.
    It is all playing fine in Matinee, with camera and director nodes set-up properly, but when I render to video, it just shows my player starting point and that's it.
    I works if I create a new level,so I tried to copy/paste my map into a new empty level, but then the same problem occur.

Please tell me what i am doing wrong as I am stuck and need to render a video for school.

Thank you in advance

It seem that it is related to the fact that I created my packages outisde of the regular UDK structure (as in this tutorial : http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UE3:Setting_Up_Configuration_Files_for_a_New_Game_Project_Tutorial_(UDK)
    I had to remove the config file path and move/copy all my assets to the UDK folder and it worked. I also copy/past all the mesh of my map into a new map to be sure.

pretty weird to be honest, that UDK cannot render a Matinee camera if any elelement (like static mesh) is referenced outside the UDK folder.
  • DeepSpaceBanana
    Offline / Send Message
    DeepSpaceBanana polycounter
    oops wrong thread
  • DireWolf
    If I want to get started with the engine, would UDK be a good choice? How difficult would it be to transfer to UE4 in the future?
  • hellofifacoins
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    I am using object radius to control the texture density on a rock. But when I add that rock to a foliage layer something strange happens. As long as there is one object it looks fine no matter what size it is. The textures scale correctly. But with each object added per cluster the texture gets more and more dense until it tiles across just a few UU.
    Works fine with placed statics as well. I only get this problem when it's placed with foliage tool.

[EDiT] OK nm it's not doing it today. I was going to take a screenshot but now it's working just fine. :shrug: I'm gonna go ahead and leave the text in case anyone else searches for same problem. Maybe all they need to do is restart UDK.
  • Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    I've lost the default UE4 clouds in my level!
    Any idea how to get them back? Thanks!

0cc37d3227.jpg
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    Click the skysphere and press F4 to get the properties window open. Check near the top in the "Default" rollout section for cloud opacity. Default value is 1.

[EDIT] well, default is technically .7 but the starter maps have it set to 1 so... [/EDIT]
  • Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango wrote: »
    Click the skysphere and press F4 to get the properties window open. Check near the top in the "Default" rollout section for cloud opacity. Default value is 1.

[EDIT] well, default is technically .7 but the starter maps have it set to 1 so... [/EDIT]

Thank you, but it doesn't seem to be working D: Here are my settings and results.
    They were there originally, I must have done something unintentionally over the past few weeks.

6f1352ebb4.jpg

zwe4g.jpg
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    your picture isn't displaying.
  • Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango wrote: »
    your picture isn't displaying.

I put up a mirror, thanks!
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    They show up now and seem to be just fine.
    I just looked at my light, my sphere, my atmospheric fog and my PP volume and I couldn't find anything else that would suggest a relation to your problem.
    Have you possible altered the blueprint by mistake? I know NOTHING of blue prints but I suppose my next avenue of investigation would be within the blueprint.
    If that doesn't help try starting a new project and see if the default skysphere blueprint that is created has the same problem. If it DOESN'T then I would look into swapping your modified blueprint out for the default.
    But I am just making assumptoins now based on buttons I've seen in the editor with no real knowledge of what goes on behind them.
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    oh sorry for double post but wanted to make sure you got an alert in case you already have read my previous reply.

I noticed at the bottom there is a reset button next to the blueprint options.
  • Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah cheers!

I tried reseting the blueprint, no luck. It all looks exactly the same as the blueprint of a default level. How could I go about saving out the default blueprint to try and import it?

If not it's cool, I'll just start on a new level - not too much work.

Thanks again!

---

On another note, I'm trying to get a Vector Field working for Cascade. There's a script that comes with UE 4.4 in [UE4Root]\Engine\Extras\MayaVelocityGridExporter\ but when I load the script in Maya 2014 only the shelf appears, with no button in it.

Related: https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Creating_Vector_Fields_%28Tutorial%29

Any ideas?
  • King Mango
    Offline / Send Message
    strange. sorry man. good luck :cheers:
  • Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha no prob, thank you for the help! :)
  • tach
    ops, wrong thread.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
    EDIT: wrong topic,sorry
  • Myging
    Hi everyone, I have a question about UDK:
    So I looked into at least a few forums on this issue but I could not find a solution or a problem that is similar to mine. All I could find is meshes disappear during play mode and mine disappeared from viewport and they did that suddenly.

So I imported my meshes from 3ds Max as fbx, everything worked fine and the meshes were there and then I changed viewport and then BOOM, all of my imported meshes disappeared. They are saved as a package and they are still imported, I could select them for a while (while being invisible, only the cursor indicated that there is a mesh) and now I can't even select them they totally disappeared. I updated my driver but the problem still remains. Anyone could help or had a similar issue before?

What I tried so far:
    Putting all my meshes into the UDK Content folder
    Toggling the show meshes (Alt+W) button on and off
    Saving my files as packages
    Reimporting the meshes

The meshes are loaded in the UDK browser but still nothing is shown in viewport. When I play the game the meshes are not there. Last time I opened the file, it only indicated a cursor showing a mesh but nothing more.
  • imthedan
    Hey guys, I had a few general questions about UE.

These are general questions and I don't expect a detailed answer (unless you feel like it).

disclaimer: I've never used UE, or any other engine for that matter, but I have wanted to get into environmental art and after some reading have found that using an engine is the best way to go.

1) What is the process for creating interior structures within UE? More specifically, do I do it all in UE or can I sculpt in zbrush, bring to maya and then into UE?

2) Do I need to know how to code to use UE? Say I just want to build a simple interior scene, do I have to code them in or is it drag and drop like other 3d programs like Maya?

Anyway, I plan on getting the engine and playing around with it, but I have a few minutes before work and was just hoping to get some insight before I jump in. Thanks!
  • JFinn_UK
    Offline / Send Message
    JFinn_UK polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry to post here when it's not entirely unreal related I wanted to though because I'm using unreal engine 4. So I was wondering if you guys when creating LOD models: bake new textures to them and have each LOD model use its own textures, edit the UVs to match the original textures or do you do something else?
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
  • darkmanx_429
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmanx_429 polycounter lvl 6
    Whenever I test my map in Unreal Editor when I use the startMOVIECAPTURE command in the editor it saves the movie in my movie folder, but when I play back my movie in windows everything is moving at 2X Speed.

I also tried using the matinee movie capture command and the same thing happens even when I set the fps to 30 fps.

Is there a way to set the fps using startMOVIECAPTURE outside the editor that I need to set before playtesting my map?

What am I missing here. Playback is 2X Speed using a variety of video viewing software, i.e quicktime, windows media player, VLC player, etc.
  • darkmanx_429
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmanx_429 polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone got any feedback to my question because I really need to figure this out?
  • z3phon
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
  • franman
    Offline / Send Message
    franman polycounter lvl 13
    I am trying to export the UE4 Mannequin to 3Ds max along with the skeletal mesh so I can animate it and then export it back to UE4.

So far I've google searched and found only this.  I am wondering if there are other approaches (no offence PhotoBots)?

If you guys know any sites please share them here or you can share your approach here.
  • advanced
    Offline / Send Message
    advanced polycounter lvl 6
    Heello everybody.
    I'm long term archviz worm, and recently started with ue5 . What do you suggest me to focus on andriod or ios devices?