Home Technical Talk

GoZ - Exporting model into Maya works fine, but normal map is screwed up in 3ds Max

So I have made a high poly model in Zbrush, which has also been retopologized in 3d Coat for better edge flow, and then brought back, details projected and so on. So I now have I fairly well topologized character model in Zbrush. I used the automatic mapping tools in Zplugin in Zbrush and made a texture (diffuse) map, displacement map and normal map in there. I had flip V (vertical) enabled for the displacement map and flip G (green) for the normal map.

When I export into 3ds Max using GoZ, the normal map causes a weird problem when rendering. Along the UV border, there's a drastic shift in shading. It's like it's broad daylight on one side and dark as night on the other. This goes along the seam, pretty much. When turning the normal map off, there's no problems.
However, when I export to Maya, the model looks just as intended!
I used the Default Scanline renderer in 3ds Max (the default when using GoZ) and Mental Ray in Maya. When changing to Mental Ray in 3ds Max the weird seam problem is gone but I instead get several invisible parts, like small lines...

So basically, 3ds Max seems to handle the normal map in a very weird way.

Any idea what I can do to remedy this? I've tried sending the model from Maya into 3ds Max using the feature in Maya, but to no avail. I've also tried the different normal map method settings in 3ds Max apart from the default "Tangent" - "Local XYZ", "Screen" and "World". Flipping reds, greens or swapping "red & green" doesn't seem to work either.

Here's a pic of the normal map problem in 3ds Max: http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=12PuG31TECJIa0cNWhgEIn7pR3nt1

Thanks in advance!

Replies