Home General Discussion

Ken Levine closing down Irrational Games

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
stabbington polycounter lvl 10
All but 15 staff expected to be laid off as Ken Levine refocuses on "a smaller, more entrepreneurial endeavor at Take-Two."

http://www.irrationalgames.com/

Best of luck to those affected, sure you'll get snapped up by another studio in no time :(

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    OMG, how many people are employed and why would he do this ? They are one of the most successful studios and produce great games
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Sad thing... great art came out of this studio. I am sure those affected have one awesome porfolio that will help getting the next job. Good luck out there.
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Is take 2 just going to take on bioshock with one of their already internal teams?

Good luck to those who have been let go! hopefully you walk into something awesome :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont understand the reason for this? Its not like the company is loosing profit. If he wanted to start his own venture up and explore other things couldnt he just start another company or branch as oppose to laying everyone off
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Its not like the company is loosing profit.

Do we actually know that, is there a source you can site? Irrational is owned by Take Two, it's not always a matter of being profitable but profitable enough to make the shareholders happy.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    After reading the message from Ken, I can't help but think this is all very... selfish? If you needed so badly to do something new that didn't take an entire studio, remove yourself from the studio... don't remove the studio.

Best of luck to the Irrational guys. We're still hiring for a ton of positions at id Software.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    So unexpected and sad.

We are looking for some people (Crytek USA)

http://www.crytek.com/career/offers/overview/austin

If you know anybody who has been affected shoot me a pm and/or apply.
  • J0NNYquid
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Damn. My head is spinning trying to process all this. So incredibly sad.
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Eh, this is a tough situation. If he just left and the company brought in a new dude, people would say it's not irrational anymore. Seems like they lost some pretty senior people over the last couple of years, so the writing may have been on the wall there.

Reading his letter, it's a bit tough to figure out exactly what's going on. It sounds like whatever his new idea is will require a lot of pre-production work and it's possible 2k didn't want to bankroll a bunch of non-core people. This may very well be your standard layoff/restructure just worded in a different way. It's interesting that he's sticking with 2k, though.

Lots of guessing on my part, and no disrespect meant to those affected. Good luck to everyone.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    That sucks really hard. Best of luck to the Irrational guys looking for work. If there are any people from there reading this, we're looking for a Multiplayer Level Designer and a Senior Generalist Programmer to join us in Toronto at Torn Banner.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Gah. Psyonix is always looking for talented people. Send me a PM and I will share resumes with the team. (programmers too!)
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    Condolences to everyone affected, were currently hiring as well

kjpla.konami.com
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    That sucks. If there is a bright spot it is at least they are giving people time to put portfolios together and hold a recruiting day for other 3rd party studios. They are at least giving those affected a fighting chance.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Apparently not even making a game that's legendary in its own time will keep your job safe anymore. :poly141:
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I'm sure there is more to it, but his post comes across as a bit of an ass move. "Yeah, sick of making big games. So I'll just lay everyone off and do ma thang."
  • skankerzero
    Irrational is his legacy. It makes total sense to me that he shuts it down instead of letting it continue on without his direction.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I'm of the same mindset that if Levine wanted to start a new company, go do that, hire who you want to bring, and leave Irrational intact. This affects a lot of talented people.

On another note, while we all know Bioshock Infinite and the subsequent ones were regarded highly critically, did they do all that well sales-wise?
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Irrational is his legacy. It makes total sense to me that he shuts it down instead of letting it continue on without his direction.

ID Software wasn't Carmack's legacy? He left it behind.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Yeah, that would strike me as a bit of a dick move, to close a place down completely just to bring closure to a founder's legacy. If that was the case, why not rebrand it instead?

This _really_ sucks.

My guess is Take2 is shutting it down because Infinite cost too much to make, and the current burn rate is too high for their shareholders. Or something. Gah.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Best of luck all
  • CrazyMatt
    I'm sure circumstances are legit, but if this was a shady sketchy move that Ken pulled with his company behind closed doors. I too if was one of those people whom were left behind. Would seriously question the logic behind the man who pulled everyone's plugs from their desks.

Main point is, I am sure everyone now knowing what we know that has happened. Would probably refrain themselves from ever getting involved with Ken Levine ever again for a job.

Best of coming fortune for those neglected at what was irrational.
  • skankerzero
    ID Software wasn't Carmack's legacy? He left it behind.

Yeah, but Carmack and Levine are not the same person.
  • Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    Apparently not even making a game that's legendary in its own time will keep your job safe anymore. :poly141:

So true! Good luck to everyone affected.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Aw man! I hope everybody lands on their feet!
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Even if it was his legacy... He could have left it, pulled out... and made another smaller company with 2k's help to do his endeavors instead of taking everyone down. To me it seems almost like a midlife crisis jump. I am sure he does have some ideas that need time to mature though.... but really taking everyone down how about the legacy of the few that have been in 2k for a while. The legacy of them... how about the families that those people have a company like 2k holds some very senior people who have families... now those people are being asked to leave and even perhaps find another job somewhere else most likely in another country or state all together. This is sad completely sad.

I am sorry to say but this is a move based on his own goals... He does not care of anyone besides his personal goals...

Displacing families is not cool!

Imagine the scenario of getting laid off and having to find another job in another place you already own your home everything is stable you have stuck your stake in that land since it was seemingly safe and suddenly now the employee of some odd years is forced to find a job across the states... but you decide the best is to just go alone since the cost of uprooting is too painful. Also your kids are doing great at school and have a social community... why uproot that... Nights without seeing your family and kids for a job in another state or country that you did not even want to live in... all do for the whims of a studio head with an idea.... This is self absorbed. I would never trust him again.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    There must have been more than just a "I wanna make smaller games so fuck y'all" going on here. At least that's my guess...maybe we'll find out more in the future. All of this just seems odd to me.

Regardless of that good luck to everyone who's now looking for work. As someone who's been looking for a job, I can vouch that there's actually a lot of openings right now. If you can move, having BioShock on your resume will really help!
  • skankerzero
    rogelio wrote: »
    Even if it was his legacy... He could have left it, pulled out... and made another smaller company with 2k's help to do his endeavors instead of taking everyone down. To me it seems almost like a midlife crisis jump. I am sure he does have some ideas that need time to mature though.... but really taking everyone down how about the legacy of the few that have been in 2k for a while. The legacy of them... how about the families that those people have a company like 2k holds some very senior people who have families... now those people are being asked to leave and even perhaps find another job somewhere else most likely in another country or state all together. This is sad completely sad.

I am sorry to say but this is a move based on his own goals... He does not care of anyone besides his personal goals...

Displacing families is not cool!

Imagine the scenario of getting laid off and having to find another job in another place you already own your home everything is stable you have stuck your stake in that land since it was seemingly safe and suddenly now the employee of some odd years is forced to find a job across the states... but you decide the best is to just go alone since the cost of uprooting is too painful. Also your kids are doing great at school and have a social community... why uproot that... Nights without seeing your family and kids for a job in another state or country that you did not even want to live in... all do for the whims of a studio head with an idea.... This is self absorbed. I would never trust him again.

Welcome to the game industry?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Hah, yeah it's true. Fact of life, businesses do need to be profitable to stay afloat. Still, it sucks.
  • Ryan Clark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Clark polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear about the closing. Irrational did some great work.

Anyone affected by it, please pm me if you could use a crazybump license for portfolio polishing or whatever.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Welcome to the game industry?

This is the mentality that stops us from actually improving our work conditions when people just accept it.
  • skankerzero
    This is the mentality that stops us from actually improving our work conditions when people just accept it.

'Accepting it' means taking it without doing anything about it.
    'Being realistic' means understanding the state our industry is in.

You have to be realistic about conditions before you can try to fix them.
  • MatOaf
    Offline / Send Message
    MatOaf polycounter lvl 17
    All sounds rather off and odd, is Take 2 in some sort of financial struggle??

What was development like of Bioshock Infinite?

Did the cost of development over reach what they recuperated back in?

I noticed that there was a six year period between Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite other than working on Infinite what else were they doing?

I guess we'll find out in due time.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    'Accepting it' means taking it without doing anything about it.
    'Being realistic' means understanding the state our industry is in.

You have to be realistic about conditions before you can try to fix them.

I am realistic. I have been in the industry long enough to know this. Still this is not a company not being able to pay people this is one guy saying I want to play with my toys so go away. How else can I take this.

I can understand a company not being able to pay due to funds being exhausted and low sales etc... but this. It is a collective slap in the face to everyone who worked hard on his and others ideas.
  • skankerzero
    I am realistic. I have been in the industry long enough to know this. Still this is not a company not being able to pay people this is one guy saying I want to play with my toys so go away. How else can I take this.

I can understand a company not being able to pay due to funds being exhausted and low sales etc... but this. It is a collective slap in the face to everyone who worked hard his ideas.

I think we're all making assumptions in this thread.

We won't know what really happened unless we get more information.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I have a small angry spot in my soul for Irrational Games, for what they did in to the Tribes series, but that being said, I don't like seeing studios shut down, and I feel for those who find themselves unemployed, especially IF the reason is something petty, as suggested here.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    I think we're all making assumptions in this thread.

We won't know what really happened unless we get more information.

True, I hope this is not what it seems.
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Either way there is some one to being angry at here. Whether or not it's 2k / Take Two or it's Ken Levine doesn't matter. They closed a good successful studio for seemingly no reason. These things tend to be more complex than that, but either way it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Sad to see the studio close hope everyone finds work quickly.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    If you had a company, wouldn't you want your company to focus on what you thought was going to be the most successful? And not just keep people around for the sake of employing them? Sure, he could have left Irrational alone, and let them to produce another bioshock sequel, but that's a shitload of money to be investing (keeping the studio going) on a project that he's not passionate about.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    From what I understand, Infinite had a pretty turbulent development cycle and was nearly canceled a few times, that's why it took so long to be released. The profit margin is probably nowhere near what we think it is.

I kind of understand why Lavine wants to take on smaller projects. All of his games take a lot of chances in terms of pushing our definition of what games are, especially from a literary standpoint. Smaller projects mean he can experiment more with less financial risk. It sounds like he wants to do what Double Fine does and push out smaller titles that do unique things.

There had to have been something going on financially that he didn't mention. His name is more than enough to form a new team/company so why would he effectively sink his old one rather than just step down? The heavy integration with Take Two makes me think Irrational was basically bought, but not quite. Luckily it sounds like they're really trying to help those getting laid off instead of pulling them into a meeting and locking the doors behind them.

Best of luck guys!

edit: Just to jump into the discussion about uprooting employees, I think this is exactly the time to change things. Basically someone has to step up and form a new company, find funding, and scoop up some of their old team members. When this happens enough, a hub will form. The industry will still be heavily project based, but at least projects will stay local.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Naughty Dog is always looking for top quality, so if anybody see this or you know anybody let them know ND is always in the look out and some positions on careers are open.

http://www.naughtydog.com/work/

Even if the position is not open apply sometimes positions pop up.

Good luck to all!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    aesir wrote: »
    If you had a company, wouldn't you want your company to focus on what you thought was going to be the most successful? And not just keep people around for the sake of employing them? Sure, he could have left Irrational alone, and let them to produce another bioshock sequel, but that's a shitload of money to be investing (keeping the studio going) on a project that he's not passionate about.

If I had a company, I'd put my employees first. At times, that would indeed mean keeping people employed for the sake of employing them. It's not the company's fault that Ken is still trying to find himself. He's not the only person capable of being passionate in the building. Given the chance, they surely could have stepped up to the plate.
  • Irreal
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Ken Levine = Andrew Ryan/Comstock
    Irrational Games = Rapture/Columbia

Life imitates art....

Best of luck to those affected. :/
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    hiring@playfulcorp.com

Sorry to anyone affected. We're hiring all positions small start up in McKinney, TX very near Dallas. Full medical benefits. Oculus Rift and others projects.
  • Cheez
    Sorry to all affected :(
    Bungie is hiring for a number of positions:
    http://www.bungie.net/en-US/AboutUs/index#!page=careers
  • wasker
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    My guess is Take2 is shutting it down because Infinite cost too much to make, and the current burn rate is too high for their shareholders. Or something. Gah.

That was my guess as well when I heard about it. Perhaps he realized it's just not feasible to make a AAA title for the PS4-Xbone for a medium sized studio and deciced their time was due. It's just speculation ofc - I still think it's a bit of a dick move. But then again, I don't know Kevin Levine's angle on it either.

Anyway, Ubisoft Massive is always looking for talented folks if anyone feels like relocating..

Sorry to see you go Irrational Games, you've always been one of my favorite developers - ever since Systemshock2 and Tribes vengeance. :(

GG
  • kamih
    Offline / Send Message
    kamih polycounter lvl 11
    Ryan Clark wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the closing. Irrational did some great work.

Anyone affected by it, please pm me if you could use a crazybump license for portfolio polishing or whatever.

RIP Irrational. You guys brought us some amazing experiences!
    Like Ryan, I would also like to offer Lazy Nezumi Pro licenses to those affected. PM me if interested.
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    rip off the fancy skin all you see is not so fancy reality.

truth is whatever how good you are as long as you are not the big dude sitting in the high chair, you are always driven by such as a sheep (in a horde).

it happens everywhere in every profession.
  • SubPablo
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    This is pretty terrible news; good luck/best wishes to everyone involved. -Sucks to see the New England Nothing continuing to spread...
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    Well whatever the reason guy sound like an Ego-Maniac. Good luck everyone
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I'm curious as to what explanation Levine will give (if any) for actually doing this. It seems like there are a large number of alternative, less destructive paths he could have taken to get to the same goal but we're probably missing some key information. Regardless, hopefully everybody effected will be able to get a new job. I'm sure with the skills necessary to get a job at Irrational, somebody can easily pick up additional work.