Home Technical Talk

Nightshade Blockout v1.0 - Tool for creating blockout/selection maps in Maya

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
I've written a new tool in Python for Autodesk Maya called Nightshade Blockout.
This tool makes creating blockout/selection maps a piece of cake:
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/nightshade-blockout

Features:
-Easy to use, no-bullshit user-interface.
-No need to clone your mesh(es) or use "Transfer Maps".
-One-click automagic color assignment.
-Proper non-overlapping shell padding (aka "Fill texture seams").
-Perfect, shadeless and artifact-free end results.
-Works on multiple multiple meshes (e.g. exploded meshes, etc).
-Smart file paths - auto-corrects missing file extensions.
-Works great together with Nightshade Color Splitter (downloadable here: http://martin.dahlin.net/scripts.html )

Replies

• Popeye9
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    Just tried this out and works great! I tried assigning the ddo material colors instead of the swatches in the script and it baked the color map no problem. This is a function from 3ds max that I was missing in maya Thanks!
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Looks awesome man - Was definitely looking for something like this to speed up my workflow. Can't wait to try it after I get home from work. Cheers
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 wrote: »
    Just tried this out and works great! I tried assigning the ddo material colors instead of the swatches in the script and it baked the color map no problem. This is a function from 3ds max that I was missing in maya Thanks!

Glad to hear they are fully compatible! :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice! might try it out at work
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    This is fantastic! The only issue I ran into is that the shelf icon doesn't seem to be included in the download. Or a read-me.

But I tried it, got the hang of it in a minute, and it works like an absolute charm. Love the UV editor, too. You make great tools.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson wrote: »
    This is fantastic! The only issue I ran into is that the shelf icon doesn't seem to be included in the download. Or a read-me.

But I tried it, got the hang of it in a minute, and it works like an absolute charm. Love the UV editor, too. You make great tools.

Thank you for the kind words.
    You are correct that the icon was missing - so I've uploaded a new zip file now on Creative Crash.
  • dream16
    Thank you so much, your Nightshade Blockout tool is Great. I really want to try the Nightshade Color Splitter but the download link have problem .
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    dream16 wrote: »
    Thank you so much, your Nightshade Blockout tool is Great. I really want to try the Nightshade Color Splitter but the download link have problem .

Thank you for your kind words.
    The link should be working as the file is located on my server - but here's a mirror (speedy share):
    http://www.speedyshare.com/ztz3q/NS-color-splitter.zip

Installation instructions are in the zip file.
  • Visum
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Hi, I'm trying to run it in OSX and I'm getting a RuntimeError line 666: Value is out of range: 14 #

Any ideas?
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum wrote: »
    Hi, I'm trying to run it in OSX and I'm getting a RuntimeError line 666: Value is out of range: 14 #

Any ideas?

Hmm that error suggests that the UI is trying to select a file format from a list that is out of range (ie: select item 14 from a list of 10 items). On Mac, NSB is coded so that there are 10 available file formats - but on PC a list of ALL available image file formats is generated. Either something is wrong in my code when the optionVar is generated (most likely), or you've migrated Maya user files from a PC system to a Mac system (less likely, as Im not entirely sure where optionVars are stored).

Open up the Maya script editor (python tab) and run these two lines:

import maya.cmds as mc
    mc.optionVar( intValue=("NSBoptVarFormat", 8 ) )

Then restart NSB and see if things are working.
    If it does, then press the file format dropdown -menu in NSB and select another file format (such as Maya IFF), close down NSB and open it up again - do you get the same error now?
  • Visum
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    ...or you've migrated Maya user files from a PC system to a Mac system (less likely, as Im not entirely sure where optionVars are stored)...

ummm lol yes I did copy the whole thing. Everything works flawlessly just not Blockout.

Also I just followed your advice and now no errors and NSB is opening just fine.
    Much appreciated :)
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum wrote: »
    ummm lol yes I did copy the whole thing. Everything works flawlessly just not Blockout.

Also I just followed your advice and now no errors and NSB is opening just fine.
    Much appreciated :)

Glad to hear it worked out for you! :)
    If you find any bugs or have any feature requests you can post them here in the thread or on Creative Crash! (any will do!)
  • ZippZopp
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    will this work if a single continuous mesh has 2 or more colors applied to it? for example, lets say i have a shirt where I want the left sleeve red, the right sleeve blue and the torso area purple. this is a simplified case, however, i run into the scenario often where I apply materials on a per face basis.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp: I´m not sure I´m following. But I´ll try and cover all bases:
    A mesh can have several colors ofc, but if any shells are stacked on-top of each other then the baked result will not be blended (instead, the last color rendered is the one which will be on top). As for the magic wand -feature: colors will be auto-applied to all meshes and submeshes, so if you want different colors on two different sides of a mesh: make sure the sides are different submeshes.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ahh nice, gonna try this out. Thanks a bunch!
  • Christian Cunningham
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Cunningham polycounter lvl 10
    It wont let me browse to a folder where it can save it. I hit create map anyway and it says do I want to overwrite the file. It renders it out but I have no idea where it is :(
  • Christian Cunningham
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Cunningham polycounter lvl 10
    If anyone is having the same issue. You have to name the file with the extension.

ex: clrmap.tga
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hey Martin, great script. Just started using this, I donated 10 bucks so here's my feature request and my bug report.

Feature request:
    Can you include a tick box to also capture a wireframe render since I always need id map and wireframe at the same time. Ideally it just piggy backs off the settings and there is just a tickbox to also output a wireframe as a separate file.

Bug:
    It's really easy to get the file name out of sync with the file it's going to write.
    1. It's weird that you have to type the extension in when doing a file browse, the extension should be driven by the drop down in the main UI for file type.

2. Changing the file type after you have exported one map will result in a new map being created with the old map type appended to the name. For example, browse to a folder, type a name texture.tga hit okay. Create map, now change the file type dropdown to png and create map again, you get a file called texture.tga.png which is confusing as hell.

3. These issues exist in NightShade UV as well when capturing wireframes, always messes me up.
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Malcolm
    Thanks for your donation. Yeah sure, I can add such a tickbox - no problem!

I´ll take a look at those bugs. Should be rather easy to fix.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Sorry, should make it clear I would like the wireframe to come out as one image, and the id map as a second image.
  • martin242
    Offline / Send Message
    martin242 polycounter lvl 5
    I have an object with multiple material IDs.
    Run the script and get an error that UVs are not found.
    I can see the UVs on the UV Editor.
    I'm using Maya 2015. Any ideas?