Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

OverDose - Shameless Self Media Pimpage [id tech 2]

Replies

• Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Sick.

Don't forget to weight the FPV sections bigger in the UVs.
  • eldanu
    Offline / Send Message
    eldanu polycounter lvl 4
    very nice work man!!!
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Computron: Thanks :) I will remember that ;)
    eldanu: :)
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    For a quick "Here let me make your uvs for you, oh ill ust slap them in any old way" automatic unwrap, that turned out quite nice. To be honest better than I expected. Obviously its low res, but this is a test using quick, hacked up islands, but yeah. The only thing that caught my eye which isn't due to the test is if you look down the iron sights, through the middle gap, you'll see that piece that sits left and right down the body, which mirrors the UV's in an obvious way there? Its not a MASSIVE "ZOMG SCRAP IT!" deal if it makes it through, but it caught my eye. Then theres the screw which looks a bit off, but I'm gonna put that down to it being a quick test uv island bake, clearly.

But disregarding the few errors here and there, I really like how well that turned out, even for a quick bake. Hopwfully making the UV islands and packing them in won't be a massive head ache, because I have to be honest, all the bloods gone from my head* atm and it would suck...

The hammer is my penis.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    More testing with the automated foliage placement system:

foliage_test.jpg
  • mikhga
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Some amazing work in this thread, although your post processing is killing it a bit for me. Personally I would like to see more color and less of the current sepia-style you've currently got going on.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Post process is gonna be a bit more heavy outside to sell it a bit more. Inside we are going to tone it down, but mappers can make their own maps no problem and set all that up however they like.
  • rockstar6
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey all,

Here's a small update on the bolt pistol. I've added a silencer and removed the piece of cloth. At the moment, I'm going to work on getting a decent looking laser sight that fits the style of the gun and after that I"ll be adjusting the sight on top of the gun. That part needs a bit of work to make it look more interesting.

Feedback is welcome ofc

edit: Oh, and the bullets have been changed too. Based on feedback from the community. =]

Cheers,
    Rockstar

boltpistoloverview07072.png
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we go, bake done :) A few things to touch up.
    There is a 2k map for the Rifle and a 512 for the shell.
    11k tri's hopefully I will get to texturing pretty soon :)

The different images show what parts that are moving and have no intersecting ao on them.
    mtDew.jpg
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Guys, really struggling to find anything wrong with these at all, the renders came out fantastic, and the shotgun being baked on actual ingame res textures looks amazing. You did miss the loops that show up in the first person view though :p Unless those were done post :p
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I had some problems with the loops, but they will be added real soon :)
    Wont post a update here when those are there, so my next update will be when I start texturing.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Now lets get these bad boys ingame and get some awesome shots off :p
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Great progress coming along, nice work on the rifle!
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers MrNinjutsu :D
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Stromberg, that's slick.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron: Thanks mate :) Going to start some serious texturing soon, only been doing some base colors by now.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPGARMQM6R0"]OverDose - Marauder - Locum Player Model - YouTube[/ame]
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Done a small bit of texturing today, going to change from this, but it's a start :)
    Bs0GY.jpg
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Those are some insane colours lol, bit all over the place, looks quite a bit noisey because some things are not quite blending like they should? I would look at a more functional colour sceheme, i.e.:

5c6c0aae12783dadf5364c5c6a91bf00.jpg

3PointStudios_Brink_00233.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    That character in the video looks pretty awesome! One critique though is that his feet looks really small (short).
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    An easy enough fix :p
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    The colors are going to be balanced out, but I will roughly keep that color scheme not as crazy though :)
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well keep me updated, I'm sure you'll nail it, but remember these guys are rough and ready, not colourful and playfull :D
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I think that they found these pieces in the junkyard and don't really decide the colors of the pieces them self ;)
    Will keep all of you updated :)
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, true, but bright orange and green isnt a gun metal i would get from the junkyard :P You can still paint it though, just not base metal it that colour, i.e. like the Brink weapons look.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    As said, I will work on balance everything out :)
    What it looks like now, still a lot of work ahead of me, but will try and finish this pretty quick so I can start on something new for the game.
    OGcDE.jpg
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thats looking a lot better, BUT, i would try and define the straps and the metal with a different tone, so you know the surfaces. Granted this is just base materials mind you. Might be best to get Josephs input?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    called out from my slumber.
    Shotgunpaintover.jpg

Hacked up something with some gradient maps and textured brushes. I like what you're doing colorwise but it's just too much, it's hard to make all of those disparate elements mesh. Stronger just to simplify and rock with something consistent imo.

This hasnt been passed by odium so i'm not sure how well it suits overdose' art direction, but this is how i'd approach the texture. Isolated flecks of color variation, and making sure patterns of grime stay largely seperated by when each piece was added to the gun.

PSD's included if you wanna take a look at the gradient map.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph: That could be cool, I am not a particular fan of that look myself, I like something with a bit more color and contrast, I don't know what others may think though :)
    But this has given me a few ideas, I will try and unify the colors more.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Well bear in mind dude: It's a gun for a team based shooter. It's typically going to be seen at less than an 8th of that size, in the hands of a character (who is wearing a costume), inside of a complexly lit environment, and obscured by smoke/muzzle flash/blood particles. It needs to read. Guns are largely the time for simplicity -- even the brink weapons, which quite literally were designed as if someone had taken a can of spraypaint to them, were pretty consistent and clean overall in terms of colors.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, remember I just started this, so I wont stop on this before it looks good :)
    I am working at bringing the colors more together.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Heres my take:

mdr_shotgun_colour.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Yepp, odium that's quite close to what I have on my pc now, so we thought the same thing :)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Think this will be my last update for "today"
    n6Uqb.jpg
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I think your approach is spot on. Boldy differentiating your materials is an excellent place to start working on a texture. All those warms and cools are your best bet at making a rich texture.

However, I would say this is just the start- for here you`ll want to reign in all those extreme values. working with solid colors, (no texture overlays yet) try as best you can to get the best sum result of your maps and their values:

Diffuse, (base color)
    Specular, (highlight intensity/color)
    Gloss, (highlight tightness) < often the most overlooked, and your best tool for defining, and differentiating materials. You can almost think about gloss as a microscopic detail map.

Gloss:
    A surface that has a low gloss, is essentially a rough surface. The light/reflection that it receives will be broken up, and distributed across this roughness making for very dull specular highlights.

A surface with high gloss has no surface roughness. The light/reflection this surface receives will be a unbroken, 1-1 reflection. a mirror, or chrome is a good example of this.

So- Applied, gunky gun metal will fall somewhere in between. Try using varied gloss values, to differentiate your materials. - variety (especially in this guns case) is the spice of life.

Once this step has been completed, only then would I start laying in grime textures, painting in rust- chips- All the while remembering that each additional detail pass you add, needs an associated specular, and gloss touch loving.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct: Thanks :)
    Yeah, this is how I usually try and approach textures make them really extreme at first then toning it down and make them fit together.

Unfortunately I am a bit over the place when texturing, cause I easily get confused as where to start, so I get into doing details to get my mind going again, have to work on that.

I am going to go back and clean things up tomorrow and think trough what I added and do proper work on the spec map.

About the gloss map, I would use that if it where a portfolio piece, cause as you said it makes it a lot easier to differentiate and makes them look better.
    But our engine does not support gloss maps, "only" a gloss value, so I will have to make it work with that, so hope it goes well :)

Thanks for going into such great detail, will be a great read for many :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    I still dont really agree with the material choice. i looooove color, but when your beaten up shotgun has more colors in it than the guy holding it your art direction has reached a verg weird place. I'd be eager to design a weapon with some seriously varied materials and complex color patrerns (in fact, a few designs with more elaborate rails/heat shields/guards have been in my sketches gor overdose) but this shotgun doesnt really support it imo. It's sleek, simple, and mean.

i cant really suspend disbelief for these various pieces. how did the shotgun come to be made from these materials? is the barrel bronze? who inserted that olive green piece of metal into the stock? what is the stock made out of? who produced a green polymer grip for this shotgun? how did the marauders come into posession of enough to modify an army worth of shotguns with them?

so in conclusion -- i respect and appreciate your desire to pump a lot of cplor and flavor into your art but this is a mid-tier fps weapon, not a piece of installation art. not every asset in any given frame of gameplay needs 6 colors on it.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message

About the gloss map, I would use that if it where a portfolio piece, cause as you said it makes it a lot easier to differentiate and makes them look better.
    But our engine does not support gloss maps, "only" a gloss value, so I will have to make it work with that, so hope it goes well :)

-I recently ran into this problem myself using older tech. Using the above mentioned logic- since a gloss maps is essentially a surface roughness map- you might be able to fake it by adding various frequencies of noise to your normal map. Thus the necessity of gloss maps for that "next gen" look (whatever the dick that's supposed to be now :poly124:)

Its certainly something that can be overdone really easy, but if you keep in mind your only trying to slightly effect the specular falloff, you might be able to pull this off. In fact- a gloss map is more of a hacky version of true surface normals :P Unfortunatly, normal maps don't carry enough res to appropriately represent all the subtleties that happen to light when reacting to a surface.

@ both Silverman, & Stomberg
    I didnt mean to make it sound like this texture was spot on. The materials as they are now are quite garish and all over the place. The values and saturation need quite a bit if reigning in. But it sounds like Stomberg plans to do that:
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph: I get what you are saying and after some sleep I will try to remove some of the materials keeping it simpler.

Also interesting what you say about, if they could have found enough different materials to make hundreds of shotguns, probably not :P
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    Here an interesting example of material definition. I think most people would say an m16 is just black. But the reality is its constructed from metal assembled at different times, using different techniques, that have all undergone various aging. the end result is a cocktail of subtly. Some parts are greenish and cool. Some parts are purplish and warm. Its this subtly that is the meat and potatoes of texturing imo.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    This is something I ran into previously... Whats the general theme of the Marauders? Well we all know them as savages, rough, "take what they can" types. They don't care about looking pretty, they care about functionality and intimidation. When it comes to weapons, the same can be said. Functional first, looking intimidating second, pretty a far last.

But that doesn't mean it has to look rubbish. See, I'm one to not go with the multiple colours on the texture. Thats why I made my paint over very, very muted. I still think Stroms update was too colourful myself. EVEN THOUGH, if you think about it... It makes sense. I mean, where did they get these multi colour parts from? Well, everywhere. Thats the point. They salvage weapons, and make their own out of them, so it stands to reason that part A might be a different colour to part B. But for the sake of design and visuals, it comes off too noisey, too random.

Sticking with a more traditional colour scheme is by far a better look, and works much nicer. You can throw in a hint of colour still, of course. Like I said, "intimidation", paint and the like. It actually makes more sense here than it did in Brink, because here these guys really are savages.

Nailing these base colours is really important before we even think of moving onto detailing it.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    btw, getting Nicolas to add gloss maps to OverDose, its about time really.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, good to hear :)
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Annnnnnnnd... Added. Takes all of a few seconds to add so why not...
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Any ideas on which one looks better?
    I will work on separating the shapes as some parts blend to much right now.
    z6TMD.jpg
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, so I had a look after our chat for some shots to get an idea of colour etc because atm this is far too light even, not sure if thats your render set up of what. Granted this is just a colour pass and no detail at all has been added, so I don't know if thats why this is really not working atm, because its just so none-detailed and base like that its confusing people:

Fallout-New-Vegas-Mod-Sawed-Off-Shotgun-Retexture_1.jpg

thumb_Fallout-New-Vegas-Mod-Caravan-Shotgun-Retextured_1.jpg

gears-of-war-3-sawed-off-shotgun1.jpg

rage-2011-10-07-07-32-09-42.jpg

bulletstorm_weapon_peacemaker__carbine_811411064.jpg

1763343-double_barrel_shotgun_fina_copy.jpg

2011-10-12_00102.jpg
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    And this ones a perfect colour scheme for the pistol, minus silly chav flames:

bulletstorm_weapon_concept_art_by_johnmccambridge-d3bot2w.jpg
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Heres my 2 cent.
    overdoses_p_01.jpg
  • ImperialDan
    I definitively prefer when there is contrast, either hue, saturation, brightness.

The one on the left has some (the barrel is a different color than the rest of the weapon). I don't have any opinion about the color itself (more copper or more gold-ish), but I would suggest to keep the contrast!