Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rudolph Vekt....Napoleons personal Necromancer

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
seth. polycounter lvl 14
Hey PC, so amongst the other stuff that I have going on at the moment I did this sketch last week, which I just found out made it into the recap....Ta very much Sean!! :)

necromancer.jpg

Anyway, I booked a long weekend off work cos I have learned a ton in the last six months and not really produced anything for the folio yet that better illustrates that I have a bit more of a clue at what I'm doing now, and decided to take him to a finished game character, I'm aiming at about 10-12,000 tris and 2048's standard folio fare really.....progress so far today:

necromancer001.jpg

still a few bits to add, along with the curious hoop in the initial sketch.

I have fleshed out a backstory and world in my head, if anyone gives a toss let me know and I will fill you in on why and how Napoleon has a Necromancer in the first place.

crits and comments most welcome....ta much :)

Replies

• C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I love the design!
    But somehow the beard just does not fit (my opinion).
    I can´t explain why, but he does not look like an old man to me. He seems very vital and aggressive and not like a bearded wizard.

Looking forward for more!
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    of course bony had a necromancer, i mean, why wouldn't he :P
    i love the sculpting, very clear definition. but i get the feeling he should be wearing some sort of jacket. and or maybe a plume on his hat. i just have this vision of this guy wearing a black officers uniform with skull motifs ( i realised i just described the SS) lol
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    hey guys thanks for the responses:

C86G: Thanks man. About the beard....it has to stay for now, I see where you are coming from but I like it too much to get rid of it just yet, I think that as long as its not grey in the diffuse he should get away with it :)

Nistrum: hehehe :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNLbK8_rBY"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNLbK8_rBY[/ame]

other than that yeah I am slowly beginning to bring him around to the time period that he's suposed to exist it...see below

itismario: thanks mister, you aren't the first person to mention the torso length...originally it was stylistic but if it looks wrong....well.....its been changed :D

progress, rouging in the jacket and also playing about with finger blades :)

necromancer002.jpg

ta very much for looking and again for the crits so far :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Really interesting design! :]
  • Clintus Maximus
    Very cool! I really like this piece
  • Nistrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    nice. lovethe update dude. and that vid was pretty epic. :P love that mitchell and webb look :P i just hope he remembers to take off those finger blade before bedtime..
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Haha! this is sweet. Are you going to bring the rag-tag feel of his robe up to the uniform? or is the idea that this guy was sort of drafted by Napolean and so was just recently given a uniform to wear?

Not that I'm necessarily suggesting to tatter up the uniform, cause I prefer the contrast of how it stands currently. Just curious as to what you were planning.

That skull is slick too!
  • 3DFM
    seth. wrote: »
    I have fleshed out a backstory and world in my head, if anyone gives a toss let me know and I will fill you in on why and how Napoleon has a Necromancer in the first place.

Hey man, looking real good so far.

I'd really like to hear the backstory of this character, I love that stuff!
  • makecg
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Jessica Dinh: thanks very much

Clintus Maximus: also thank you very much.

Nistrum: yeah man , mitchell and webb are probably my favourite comedy duo at the moment....it has also been mentioned that he should remove the gloves before attempting to use a bathroom too.

Robat: thanks man. The jacket will get a little distress but nothing near the level of the robes, it will mostly be cloth fading and grime in the diffuse I think, I want a mid campaign look for him so there will be mud!
    hehehe the skull? it was a piece I sculpted nearly a year ago and just haven't found the right character to add it too.....a bit of an update on it and a jaunty angle for the jawbone and he fits :)

3DFM: thanks very much....right then, there shall be some typing this evening

makecg: Thanks Lance

right best get my head down for a bit and get some progress done then huh?

thanks again for the responses :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    OoOoO! i like his belly shirt! :)

jokes a side, man... great work!
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Seth mate. you are rocking this piece :) I'm lovin' it.

But i still think the back straps of the belt need some buckles. As the way its looking now it would just slip straight down due to being so low on the hip.

Maybe you could play around with some candles on the shoulders. It could be over kill but who knows?
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Alberto Rdrgz: thanks man....if you like the belly shirt wait till you get a load of his tramp stamp :D

Di$array: thanks very much....I guess that I just have an affinity with the floating evil minions of French millitary figures....how could I have not figured this out sooner :D

Buckles-check, I will get those sorted, at the moment the bussel looking thing on his arse is supposed to be more armour, but I will look at resolving it and give the poor lad a belt....I like candles on the shoulders....but I fear that I may have gone too far already....see below :D

Well, every boy needs a frendly astral companion to help them to float, reanimate the dead, become their lord and master and such....right?

well I have added Rudolphs.....this is the astral being that suposedly locked onto him at a theological college in Vienna in 1686 while deciphering a manuscript suggesting the existance of multi dimensional gates....of course this cant be true, for that would put master Vekt's age at somewhere around 135 at the beginning of the Napoleon's campaigns.

necromancer003.jpg

and a closer shot of the ugly astral bastard :D

necromancer003a.jpg

still rather wippy....but wadaya recon...too much? Cos I like it but I have been known to like daft things.

thanks for looking and comments and stuff :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    that's freakin weird man. very Gears without the tech...
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    i like this, the necromancers costume is cool, love him floating there. im not entirely sold on the monster but I like that its a very different design than the norm and those teeth are gnarlya:).
  • Hellstern
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellstern polycounter lvl 11
    Necromanceк is baddass but i personally prefer the moster could be less baggy and have more distinct limb muscle.
    And if your human is slender and have forms tend to length(skirt, hands, hat, skull beard), then the monster could be wide and flat like a кay fish foe example.
  • makecg
    looking pretty weird now.. still nice work ;)
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ok sooooo....too much then :D

ScudzAlmighty: thanks man, I wasn't thinking gears at the time but I get where you are coming from....the gribbly might just get his own sculpt at some point but I guess that he will go into the box of unloved meshes for the time being :D

Dan!: Thanks mister...I have reeled him back in for now, its a folio piece so I dont want people thinking..."oh uhmmm....yeah thats.....different...er, whos next?" :D

also I dont know if you saw but thanks again tons for the paintover of the female anatomy piece it helped tons!

Hellstern: also thanks :) I will do something with the tentacled one at some point and take on board what you havwe sugested....I can see what you mean about the limb structure...I did them last after all the tentacles so I guess that the formless blob style kind of transfered over to them by accident.

makecg: thanks again Lance, he has now been de-weirded :D

Di$array: I had a play with a few candles on the shoulder, it looked a bit odd. (coming from the man that did the tentacled gribbly thing :D)...maybe one or two floating around him could work...belt is still in the works...honest !

so today I focused on tidying up the sculpt and adding a fiew trinkets/details.....still a way to go, but I would love to have the HP nailed by the end of tomorrow

necromancer004.jpg

thanks as always for looking and taking the time to comment :)
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    well I wanted him done but failed cos I keep adding stuff....but its not bloody great astra gribblies this time at least :D

added sword and potions and lanyards and medals, and buckles at the back of his armour and a few other bits here and there along with tidying up a few more area's of the sculpt....well the long weekend is over so progress will slow a bit as I'm constricted to post work fun now

3DFM I haven't forgotten, I just have to check a few facts now that I'm going to write it on the internets :D

anyway thanks for looking

necromancer005.jpg
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    The design is certainly shaping up! I`m not too sure if I`m very keen of his sexy belly jacket :P . Its a subjective critique, but I just think its a little too scandalous. Hes all "oooh look at my sixpack" - er maybe thats just me being all jelz here with my beer gut.

I suppose the pose is sexy too. he`s really sticking his ass out :P Subjective I know, and I`m as tired of the next guy of game art having to fall into the "male power fantasy" genre. I just thought I`d say something.

At any rate, I think just having a standard jacket like this guy here would be pretty cool- Maybe do more things that speak to him being a puppet. Maybe some type of small mechanisms, that the creature uses as a means of manipulation.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I assumed the ass-out pose was because he's floating.

I agree about the exposed mid though, my keg is jealous of his pack. And it's a little weird with the rest of the outfit.
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    morning....You both make a fantastic point, along with the fact that he's set in the early 1800's the midrift is looking a bit prison wifey now that you have mentioned it....Skudz mailed it with the curve of the back, but the sixpack will be gone, he shall have a nice new waistcoat.

Thanks very much for the imput guys sorry its a bit hurried I am out the door for work as I type :D
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I should probably tidy up his skirt a bit more but i have pretty much finished the HP over this weekend ( I got terribly drunk on Friday night which kinda blew out my saturday creativity :D)

crits and comments more than welcome....time to get onto the LP now I guess

note: silly big picture warning

necromancer006.jpg

Thanks for looking :)
  • makecg
    really nice man pro !
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks Lance :)

decided to lay down a few colours in polylaint before calling it a night:

necromancer007.jpg

again, thanks for looking :)
  • Darkleopard
    Neat design. I know you were going for a napoleon styled thing, but id kill to see him with a creepy necromancer outfit instead of solider