Home Technical Talk

qSave - Photoshop plugin to quickly save textures

Replies

• Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    awesome work Chai :)
    I made one on my own a while back specifically for the way we handle checkouts, our outrageous naming scheme, and other stuff at work.

It'd be weird to release mine since it's so specific, but I figured I'd list a few ideas from mine that may be cool if you're interested
    • I set it to toggle off any of the top X layers off if they're called UV, UVs, etc.
    • it also looks for a layer/group called Alpha at the top of like the 'Spec' group, which can contain greyscale/RGB values, then it'll store that as greyscale into the Alpha of the map. I've found that makes editing alpha channels a lot more intuitive for us. [using the same idea you can set up RGB overrides as well for combined-maps]
    • I just split mine into 3 scripts for 25,50,100% and interpret map-type based on group-name

My setup is entirely different, so maybe these would actually be counterproductive to the mission of your script to be universal and streamlined :poly122:
    just thought I'd mention just in case :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    that sounds like a cool idea funky bunnies for alpha integration into different textures!

For RGB masks, i use the layer group channel masking to make a channel packed mask texture. Is a little different workflow - but maybe something to think about instead of having 3-4 textures with alphas, could have +1 texture that contains the alphas in a channel packed texture.

in this example the text fields have a white color, and are pushed to a channel via group properties instead of manually pushing a grayscale image to a channel.

I only suggest it because it could simplify a saving process/script to just include that group for a single file. Now... if Adobe would allow a group mask to filter to A as well as RGB... that'd be awesome!!!!

rgbLayers01.PNGrgbLayers02.PNG
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the weird thing about that process is that when I was messing with that as an option the group properties version actually wasn't exactly the same! probably because rather than accepting the 0-255 value as a channel it instead grabs only the R,G, or B element of the greyscale... hard to explain but check out below - there's a slight disparity if you work in greyscale and export combined :S

Usually shouldn't matter, but it was a bit annoying when we were tweaking delicate values in hair on one project.

RGBshiznit.gif
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I hadn't noticed that before.

Just started using composite spec/gloss/[whatever] as R/G/B in my Unity project and I'd been using the group properties method and I thought my output was a little screwy but I put it down to some odd compression of the textures in-game.

Tried out copy/pasting each group into the individual R, G and B channels of an image and there's quite a difference in the results.

I wonder if there's some odd gamma correction going on that gets bypassed if you explicitly copy/paste into each channel.
  • Sonnhalter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonnhalter polycounter lvl 8
    Is this any different than Vtools?

I've been using that to save .tgas from inside photoshop but I'd rather support a polycount member :)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    bunnies: Ha! thats fucked! never noticed that before, doh! I tried some tests, and even with something that'd sample the rgb of a static layer the values were off by a slight amount... hrm.

thanks for pointing that out! learn something new every day!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    thanks chai! that's great!
    but hey... any chance of it supporting DDS?
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    fonfa wrote: »
    thanks chai! that's great!
    but hey... any chance of it supporting DDS?

Cheers, I don't remember what it was but definitely recall DDS was real funky, guess because it's a separate plugin ?
    It's on my todo list, which dds formats would you like to see supported ? (again not sure if it is even possible)
    Sonnhalter wrote: »
    Is this any different than Vtools?

I've been using that to save .tgas from inside photoshop but I'd rather support a polycount member :)

Cheers, ya I gotta give big credit to vTools here, also Harlequin is a veteran polycounter he's just too busy to post much.

qSave is based on a different workflow really, more lowlevel when you want to export what you see on screen to specified texture instantly.
    Also some members here apparently figured out to do mass exports with qSave, but many times you still want to quickly export what you're working on (say that glow map) rather than the whole thing.

vTools is more higher level and fullblown to export the whole thing, scaling options and whatnot, but obviously not instant and takes a while to setup as well.

Bottom line use what works best for you, good luck :)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I've been using dxt1 for rgb images and dxt5 for rgba. I guess dxt5_nm could be useful for a bunch of people, but I've never used it myself...
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    I'd just like to stop in and say thanks for this, Chai!

Easy to set up, and it really comes in handy.
  • naked_chicken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    naked_chicken polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah friggin awesome. Any chance of supporting tif's?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Aye, support for more file types would be great - even so, your script shaves more and more seconds off my work time each time i save, so thanks!
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
    Seconding "more file types". I've recently switched from PNG to SuperPNG (same extension, different format) and qSave doesn't work for me anymore (I'm assuming it's looking for the extension by name, not "EXT"). Please please add support for more, as I'm kind of helpless now without it. ^_^

Thanks in advance!
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for all the kind words :)

There's a bit too much on my plate atm with work and all, but definitely looking to add more extensions as well as other critical features when I get a breather ..

Funky Bunnies - true your script is a bit specific, but still very cool stuff there mate ! I especially like the toggling of top uv/uvs layer.
    How do you handle image resizing to 25/50% ? I've found it slows the whole exports myself.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Chai, i think it goes fairly fast most of the time, but i guess 'fast' is a loose and subjective term haha.
    The only thing I did was flatten the image first and then resize that - so its only resizing the 1 layer.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Released Version 1.3
    added uvs hider option, to hide topmost uv/uvs layer from exports. (idea shamelessly stolen from Funky Bunnies)
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Released Version 1.4 - big update
    • added global tick per setting, useful for variation of file syntax
    • psd now supports saving each file appends/bitdepth
    • removed psd save button, instead save prefs will save both current psd/global prefs
    • added support for custom global path
    • reserved PSD saving of fileformat/bitdepth (disabled and forced global for now)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Can't seem to get the new version to work, when I open the qSave window, I get :
    "Error 23: defaultPrefs isn't a function. Line: 89 -> } else {defaultPrefs();}
    (Translated from silly french for clarity).

Tried on both 64 and 32bit versions, Photoshop CS5, Windows 7. Old version still works fine.

does the "custom global path" option you added mean that we can add relative paths now? If yes I'll have to bother someone into make a hacked DDS version for me again, like Talon did a while back. :D

Will hit up that link at the bottom of your readme when I get home from work tonight. ;)
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you Bal bug confirmed and our team of engineers are already on it as we speak.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Released Version 1.5 - bug fixes
    • fixed setup bug when no docs are open, instead only global prefs will be changable
    • fixed "defaultPrefs isn't a function" bug
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ i include qSave in an action which contains a resize dialog before saving out
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah the power of qSave is really using it along side some simple action scripting, only thing unfortunate with that is how Photoshop still limits you to using ctrl/alt/Function key combinations as shortcuts for those.

Would still love being able to add relative paths.

By the way Chai, the bottom link of your readme doesn't work for me.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Cheers Bal, figures I can't hotlink to paypal, so I've just changed the readme telling people to do it through my site.

Ya I've done relative paths with other scripts, just a matter of time I guess.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    tnx for the great script, this will save me some time
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Released Version 1.6
    added support for relative paths
  • walterlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walterlow polycounter lvl 8
    wow thanks alot for this awesome script Chai. It saves me many clicks.

Photoshop shortcut keys require additional Ctrl to be attached and i don't wanna overwrite most of the default shortcut keys.

so i decided to make a panel for easier access. its nothing special or fancy. i decided to share if you guys want it too. poly124.gif

This panel is useful if you do not want to overwrite shortcut keys or use the File>Scripts menu.

F0X2W.jpg

Updated link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bnpd95i5x2x6png

To install: Copy and paste to \Plug-ins\Panels in your photoshop directory.

All credits go to Chai for the scripts.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai wrote: »
    Released Version 1.6
    added support for relative paths

awesome!

(definitely not a bug report; just noticed you forgot to change the version number in the main script ;) )
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    walterlow wrote: »
    wow thanks alot for this awesome script Chai. It saves me many clicks.

Photoshop shortcut keys require additional Ctrl to be attached and i don't wanna overwrite most of the default shortcut keys.

so i decided to make a panel for easier access. its nothing special or fancy. i decided to share if you guys want it too. poly124.gif

This panel is useful if you do not want to overwrite shortcut keys or use the File>Scripts menu.

F0X2W.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?b65bs9n7tjyx8om

To install: Copy and paste to your Photoshop directory.

All credits go to Chai for the scripts.

Note: You need to install qSave before you can use this panel.

I installed it, and no matter what I click nothing happens at all. :( I'm using CS5.1, and qSave itself is running fine. Any ideas? Looks really useful and thanks for sharing. :)

Also qSave is a wonderful timesaver, wow. Thanks :D
  • walterlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have double checked it on my laptop and it runs perfectly fine. Can you share more details? i am using cs5.1 64 bit. your path should be something like

...\Plug-ins\Panels\qSavePanel
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I have installed the panels too, and for me the buttons doesn't work at all.
    I can load the panel perfeclty fine, but nothing more.

As Simmo, qSave on the other side works perfectly fine.
    I don't get any error and I followed the folder structure of the archive to install the panel. I don't see what to say more now... (Using CS5 12.1 64bit)
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry - it's 5.1 64bit. Froyok sounds like he's having exactly the same issue. Paths are correct too
  • walterlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've updated the link. i hope it works for you guys now.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    walterlow wrote: »
    i've updated the link. i hope it works for you guys now.
    It's working ! Yeaaah ! :thumbup:
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    It says invalid or deleted file ):
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It's just because it's the "old" link with the new "text" link :
    http://www.mediafire.com/?bnpd95i5x2x6png
    (This one is working).
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome, thanks! It works perfectly now. :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Does anyone know if this or any other similar script works in the CS6 Beta/Upcoming-Final?

EDIT: It does work in the Beta, here's hoping the Full version doesn't break compatibility. Good work on the script, put together with actions and buttons it's very handy.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    EDIT- No worries.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Released Version 1.7
    added support for TIFF, DXT1, DXT3, DXT5, DXT5-NM
  • keelhauler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keelhauler polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great and just what I need! Thank's for sharing this.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been looking for something like this for a while. Thank you for the great tool for my workflow.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    This does work with PS CS6 right? I must be doing something wrong but it's not showing up in the scripts menu.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been trying to use one of these Photoshop save scripts and this one offered PNG functionality, however it seems to be saving with compression on, which takes 5-10 seconds.

I looked at the jsx file but can't seem to find how to change this. Is this possible?
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Released Version 1.8
    added support for SuperPNG (freeware)

@lloyd: the new version above should hopefully help !
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    How do you set up the preferences so you save with an Alpha when you have an Alpha and when you don't have one? I can't seem to get the script to show up under the File/Script menu to save the hotkey. I'm going to File/Script/Browse and running the first qSave. The preferences menu pops up but that's it.
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Chase wrote: »
    How do you set up the preferences so you save with an Alpha when you have an Alpha and when you don't have one? I can't seem to get the script to show up under the File/Script menu to save the hotkey. I'm going to File/Script/Browse and running the first qSave. The preferences menu pops up but that's it.

Are you on CS6 ?
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Chai, I love this script! Thank you so much for doing this! I was wondering if it is possible to add support to export flattened Psds? :D
    Cheers!
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    neilberard wrote: »
    Hey Chai, I love this script! Thank you so much for doing this! I was wondering if it is possible to add support to export flattened Psds? :D
    Cheers!

Cheers neilberard glad you like it !

Unlikely, there's no built in way to do it, and I want to avoid the whole "create new document, save, close" thing with this script.
    I'm curious why do you need a flattened PSD for ? Unity ?