Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Turbosmooth but smoothing through verts, not over them?

Mr Whippy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
Is there such a thing? Even if it's a plugin/something to buy?

Turbosmooth works nicely generally but any point you place isn't used explicitly, and if you change nearby points then the flow of a line can then change, needing a never ending circle of adjustments to make sure a curve stays along a line for example.

The splines on the other hand work really nicely in this regard, with the knots commanding a point the line must pass through, but smoothing between them.

Is there any equivalent way to have a sub-divided mesh do that?

Classic and old Meshsmooth don't seem to offer the behaviour I want here.

Any help/advice on ways to get that kinda result would be very much appreciated.

And yes, spline cages/surface would work, but they're a nightmare to manage vs a simple mesh.

Many thanks

Dave

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
  • Mr Whippy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    FFD box points are not explicit intersects though.

I just want to be able to place a point and know the line will always pass through that point, rather than have the situation where I'm adding more details nearby and find that I need to keep moving control points further down to get the intersect correct again... and when I move that one, the next one needs moving again, and so on :D

I'm sure there is some maths reason behind it, but NURMS with this feature as a toggle would make loads of sense for lots of stuff where you're modelling off strict plans or blueprints.

You can model with NURMS of course, and run isoline and adjust the edges to suit, but the control mesh has no resemblance to the end result if trying to minimise control points, and when you add details as noted, then surrounding points propagate an undesirable change in the line flow.

If the original points lay on the actual path you were copying it'd at least make more sense than ones just floating arbitrarily in space.

Of course the solution is to up-res, but then you lose all the benefits of a low-res control mesh for making quick changes later.

Hmmm

Dave
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    How about using creases, like in Open Subdiv (or Turbosmooth Pro plugin)?