Home› Technical Talk

Zbrush - Projecting Issues

What is the best way to project a subtool comprised of many small meshes(like a bunch of insert mesh details) onto a single mesh?

In the past I made a copy and combined the meshes using dynamesh, projected the original subtool onto the dynameshed mesh and then used that mesh to project onto my final mesh. I feel like I'm doing it wrong, but I can't find any information on how to do this.

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    So...you're combining all of your subtools into a single dynamesh, then projecting from the original sub tools to the new combined dynamesh, and then you're projecting again onto a polygonal mesh?

I would... (in a duplicate tool to keep your original subtools) merge visible -> dynamesh at high resolution -> duplicate dynamesh-> zremesh the duplicate -> project from dynamesh to z-remesh, increasing sub divisions and projecting each time until it looks exactly the same -> polish.

Any reason why you're combining into one mesh? If you don't care about topo you could also combine all subtools and then run decimation master.
  • Plixik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not combining multiple subtools, just that one subtool(Boots) contains a bunch of meshes because I did stitches with an insert mesh brush and laces with curve strap snap. I messed around with it some more and I realized that some of the laces and stitches are raised off the surface in certain spots and thats where it's getting messed up. I haven't fixed it yet since it will be a bit of a pain, but I imagine that should do it combined with your method. Thanks for the advice.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I always combine everything with dynamesh when using project all, otherwise zbrush tends to project towards the wrong surface. I never use project to return detail on the dynameshed tool though; using a high resolution with its own project option usually produces the desired result.
  • Plixik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only reason I projected onto the dynameshed object is because it had poly paint and dynameshing destroyed the poly paint, so I used project to transfer the poly paint. Is there a better way to do this?