Home Technical Talk

need help -> polygon modeling techniques -> for head modeling

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
I know only for two modeling techniques that are proven to work reliably well for most people, one is edge extruding, and the other is box modeling. I personally never felt comfortable using box modeling, but now when I am trying to do a model of the head (not realistic one) that I don't have full reference supply, as in no front side view images just some concept art and maybe some more images to assist me on the side.

For someone who uses 3ds max exclusively for modeling, are there any other techniques that I could use to make this kind of models more efficiently? Since I am not sure I can pull of good enough quality with edge extruding alone.

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Maybe try blocking out the head with some basic shapes first to get the general form and proportions worked out. Once you have that you can edge extrude around it using it as a guide, or even use some retopology tools depending on how well it is blocked out.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    If you don't have access to Zbrush, then edge extrusion technique or box are your only choices. Practice and you'll get better at it with time, some guys can do a kick-ass stuff with just that.
  • Donkey_Kong
    Offline / Send Message
    Donkey_Kong polycounter lvl 4
    You could use spline modelling.
  • Skinpop
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    Surface modeling with splines. It's a pain in the ass, but a good skill to have nonetheless.
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    This
    cryrid wrote: »
    Maybe try blocking out the head with some basic shapes first to get the general form and proportions worked out. Once you have that you can edge extrude around it using it as a guide, or even use some retopology tools depending on how well it is blocked out.

and

You could build yourself a library of noses, ears, eyelids & lips, then you can position them around a skull (free online or block it out yourself). That will take a lot of guess work out of the equation. Using FFD modifiers will help you shape the volume of the features pretty quickly, when you're happy with the look / style, connect all features together.
  • throttlekitty
    Psyk0 wrote: »
    This
    and

You could build yourself a library of noses, ears, eyelids & lips, then you can position them around a skull (free online or block it out yourself). That will take a lot of guess work out of the equation. Using FFD modifiers will help you shape the volume of the features pretty quickly, when you're happy with the look / style, connect all features together.

Huh, never considered kitbashing a head that way. You could take it a step further and make simple morphs for each part to make fine tuning a little easier if it's something that gets reused often.
  • Busterizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Busterizer polycounter lvl 5
    @Psyk0
    Actually, that's a great idea, it will make me practice modeling of specific features of the face in the process.

@Donkey_Kong
    I tried to make something with splines but it proves to be quite difficult in almost all scenarios.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    from the old days...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeYMNaTuR30"]Martin Krol - Head Creation - YouTube[/ame]
  • flat-D
    Offline / Send Message
    flat-D polycounter lvl 6
    Why insist on those archaic techniques?
    Sculpt then retopo all the way, if you want to be competitive.

If you take a look at anyone doing serious character work, they're all in the sculpt environment.

This applies even more if your concept is not developed to detail and locked.

Just get out of your box and pick up sculpting. There's a lot of capable sculpting apps out there that bring a lot of different things to the table. It seems like you haven't given it much go, so I'll name a few options.

ZBrush
    Mudbox
    3DCoat
    Sculptris (Free, Extremely easy to get into. I would recommend this to start with)
    Blender (Free, very good, but it's got a very steep learning curve. Would not recommend to start with.)

Here's a few examples of sculpt improvs I've had recently. These were all done in Blender in approximately 8-16 hrs. Considering I was developing the concept on the fly I wouldn't be able even to begin to compare how long it would take me to come to something like this poly-modeling. I probably wouldn't be able to get to a concept like this, because one can't exercise the flow of ideas in that environment.

Creature_Timelapse.gif
    DyntopoSculptImprov_20141017_timelapse.gif
    DyntopoSculptImprov_20141020_timelapse.gif