Home Technical Talk

What's your favourite animation programs or tools?

Hi, I'm doing a research project for my last year of school, and I have chosen to research into animation tools and programs. Specifically, things that make animating easier or more efficient.

So if you wouldn't mind (I would much appreciate it), please tell me your favourite programs/tools and why they are your favourite.

It can be anything, as long or as short of a description as you like, whether it's one tool from a program that was made 10 years ago. Or simply Maya as your favourite program. Anything will help.

Thank you!

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Maybe you should define "animation". To me it chiefly means developing the motion of characters for film, games, or other media. But to many laymen it means any type of art produced on a computer.

It's hard to say my favorite tool. I'm most comfortable with 3ds Max, but Blender and Maya have almost identical animation features. I'm still creating animations almost the same way I did 5, even 10, years ago. There hasn't been a program, like zBrush for modeling, that really breaks new ground and introduces new workflows. Motion Builder is probably the closest with it's HumanIK rig. But I find the program itself a little awkward to use.
  • GlowingPotato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GlowingPotato polycounter lvl 10
    monster wrote: »
    Maybe you should define "animation". To me it chiefly means developing the motion of characters for film, games, or other media. But to many laymen it means any type of art produced on a computer.

It's hard to say my favorite tool. I'm most comfortable with 3ds Max, but Blender and Maya have almost identical animation features. I'm still creating animations almost the same way I did 5, even 10, years ago. There hasn't been a program, like zBrush for modeling, that really breaks new ground and introduces new workflows. Motion Builder is probably the closest with it's HumanIK rig. But I find the program itself a little awkward to use.

Yep! I agree!

I use Maya for everything animation related.