Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel SUITE | Suggestions

This thread is dedicated to suggestions you might have for the development of the Quixel SUITE.

Replies

• SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    stylized wood preset
    wood smart materials
    anything to do with wood would be great
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    A way to ungroup layers would be helpful.
  • DesignByKivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesignByKivi polycounter lvl 11
    I came across a situation where I wished I could add two or more colors from my color map to a single mask.
    RU5IYx4.png

Also, would be super happy if hand painting/custom masks would be simplified.

Cheers!
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkEdge polycounter lvl 10
    The color map id selection was really good in dDo, would really like to see that feature again in Suite.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Instead of preset 'dirt from above/below', something more useful might be a user defined vector, where you have a gizmo in 3do that allows you to define your direction. I'm assuming it wouldn't be too much of a leap since you've already got half of the backend done.

This would make things easier then swizzling object space normals and rotating the model when working from, say, 3dsmax. I still haven't figured out the correct import procedure to get the model to be oriented in a way the suite is expecting. Besides that, it might be nice for additional effects (angled vehicular movement or wind based dirt/snow patterns come to mind).
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Niuva This feature already exists just hit control on the colors you want to add to the list for that mask.

@Darkedge Can you be more specific because as of right now the color id select is pretty powerful and fully functioning as it did in the legacy version of DDO.

Most of these things are also covered in the videos inside helpful links so please head over there and watch those too. Thanks for the suggestions guys keep them coming!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gheromo Select your layer group and alt+click the "Group selected" icon and you're good to go!
  • hugojackson18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hugojackson18 polycounter lvl 3
    I would like some leaks like in dDo. The detail adder in dDo was really good, would be good to have it in DDO.

And please (PLEASE) add a Undo button.... It's killing me to not have an undo. And to have an option where we can choose if we want DDO to save automatically or not. Just lost all my morning's work because of no undo and automatic save...

Thanks!
  • grfxman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grfxman polycounter lvl 6
    Tutorials and documentation on using these tools with Mirrored UV's would be a huge Plus. Most of my clients want this on most of their jobs
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I would like reimport inputs to only reimport the maps you have changed and not reimport everything, for example I only want to quickly reimport my normal map and nothing else and I want to do this quickly over and over again because I am busy trying some ideas out with ndo.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions guys we are reading these and going to take some of them into account hopefully as early as the next build!
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to edit/create my own tag endings to each map that Suite creates. Like maybe I would use _Disp, _Spec, _Normal, etc.
  • DarkEdge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh, finally figured out the id map/link thing (doh!)...very slick. However would there be a way where once we make our reflectance links that the colors stay true to what the id map is? Kind of like how Legacy is.

And I would suggest the same option for when I choose my Material. Have dDo stay with id map reflectance color or use dDo reflectance color for that Material.
  • Quickel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm hopeful the people at Quixel will continue to improve on the tools based on user feedback. I've been using the Suite for a little now. I've been trying to get a look similar to taking a Trim Dynamic brush to edges on DDo. I managed to get something decent but something which would make it so I don't always have to take a model into ZBrush and bang up the edges would be fantastic. So a few suggestions:

- More focus on edge wear. I feel like beit metal or wood or whatever, edge wear is often something artists need. Perhaps a way to have chunkier, more variable edge wear procedurally would be great. I was able to get there by making my own noise maps and then using the edge wear and additional photo textures but having a faster way to do it would be even better.

- It seems to me that using masks up the stack do not take the additional normal maps made into consideration. So I have a base normal map, lets say a simple bolt shape. Then I add a new normal map only material on top of that with dings and such in it. Then I want to create edge highlights on the edges. So I create a new material with an edge mask (will call it edge highlight) and in the albedo the highlight only is made for the original base normal map and doesn't show up for any of the dings and scratches being overlaid.

- AO map doesn't seem to update with any scratches or additional normal map layers. Having an AO map based more on the normal map to me seems extremely important.
  • hugojackson18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like to have the textures tile a bit better... It's annoying to have big square of textures in the maps =S But I guess thats a megascan problem?
  • RealityFix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RealityFix polycounter lvl 5
    Kinda a far off request I suppose: Would be really cool if you could have a tool set to make an image tillable. Such as what PixPlant does. Just to unify things a bit more.

Anyway, far off request and such but something I wouldn't mind seeing.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Is it possible for the SUITE to detect different chunks of geometry? If so it would be cool if you could select whatever chunk you want and apply a smart material/material to it, in case you don't have an ID map available. Sort of like Keyshot (haven't tried that but I think that's how it works).
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    wire frame toggle or some way to show wires in psd's. i'm hand editing my mask and i need to see where my uvs's edges are.
  • David1983
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe i'm doing something wrong but i would love to have bigger masks, for the dirt, scratches etc.... When using the default Texel Density 0f 1024 or even the 512 resolution for better details, the masks repeat extremly on bigger objects like a plane or balk etc...

increasing the mask or the pixel density makes the texutre just bad looking....
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Any chance to see a UV padding? Even if just at the export of the maps.

(maybe even have it as sexy as maya's fill edge :D)

EDIT: also maybe the possibilty to rotate and offset stuff, as it is now it's pretty annoying to get some variations of the same texture
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    A nice easy way to deal with decals and things which aren't "materials" would be nice.
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    I did some searching and wasn't able to find an easy way to do this, I apologize if this is already possible and I simply missed it.

dDo spits out an awesome base for your textures, however it seems like the only way to push the texture further is to exit out of dDo and texture it normally. I am able to add clean layers, that are applied throughout all maps, which is great, however it seems I am only able to create procedural masks for it.

It would be great if there was a way to create hand painted masks that are instanced to that layer in the other maps. This way I can create my base texture in dDo as well as quickly add more specific, custom details to the texture.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB wrote: »
    I did some searching and wasn't able to find an easy way to do this, I apologize if this is already possible and I simply missed it.

dDo spits out an awesome base for your textures, however it seems like the only way to push the texture further is to exit out of dDo and texture it normally. I am able to add clean layers, that are applied throughout all maps, which is great, however it seems I am only able to create procedural masks for it.

It would be great if there was a way to create hand painted masks that are instanced to that layer in the other maps. This way I can create my base texture in dDo as well as quickly add more specific, custom details to the texture.

afaik you can, simply edit the map by hand in dDo and then do copy mask to all layers. Not at my workstation atm so not sure if that is exactly right.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    afaik you can, simply edit the map by hand in dDo and then do copy mask to all layers. Not at my workstation atm so not sure if that is exactly right.
    This is correct. Keep in mind that you might lose your manual edits if you go back and change your dynamask.

edit: also, should probably change the "Force Refresh 3DO" button's tooltip to 'Force refresh viewer", since it also refreshes your linked app (such as tb2).
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Earthquake that works great!

This solution will work totally fine for now, but hopefully in the future creating custom layer masks will get some more love. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a large part of our pipeline with dDo and the easier it is the better. That way we can create the entire texture within dDo.

I'd love to be able to assign a hotkey to the transfer mask button, or have a UI with tools I use as I paint my layer mask.

It would also be really cool if dDo supported adding custom layers when generating the dynamask since, right now, the only way to do itis pretty hacky and gets lost if I want to adjust the dynamask later.
  • mmxnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, Could someone please make a tutorial that shows techniques to cover up or get rid of seams in cylindrical, spherical, and organic shapes. Where the UV seams meet up specifically. How to use Quixel suite and photoshop effectively for these techniques.
  • Bee-Bee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way to have DDO not override whatever we have in the patterns panel (win7 CS5 and CC this happened)? If I create materials and DDO needs to access its patterns library (mega scans), it wipes out whatever I've populated in that list.

Also, another vote for folder management. As it stands now, not being able to group all of my weathering layers easily into a top "weathering" group and have that auto-populate across the various maps is a production killer for me.

App is pretty awesome so far though! Wowza
  • y0rCh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a way to rotate the textures will be great. Sometimes the textures aren't aligned to the UV islands in a perfect way for whatever purpose.
    I'm in love with the program by the way! Keep the hard work, it's very apreciatted!
  • Pendali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish there was an easy button to push that would make the "bump" of a layered material slant either up or down..
  • Pendali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would be nice If we could render a turntable, without having to send the project to Marmoset toolbag.
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheAxiom polycounter lvl 3
    A way to be able to rotate the materials would be nice, instead of just scaling. Also maybe a decal option, to add text and stickers easily. But focus on fixing bugs first please! (:
  • OutOfMyMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    TheAxiom wrote: »
    A way to be able to rotate the materials would be nice, instead of just scaling. Also maybe a decal option, to add text and stickers easily. But focus on fixing bugs first please! (:
    +1
    + ability to offset texture
    + ability to quickly increase height of the material id area in the normal map
  • Pendali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was working with Ddo when I decided that I would create something in my Ddo project with Ndo, that worked somewhat fine.. but there was a lot of manual work to get things right. I wish that there was a button inside Ddo to create New Material ID´s for new stuff that you create in custom layers or with Ndo. currently you can use the re-import function but that still do not allow you to create new material ID´s and it messes up all your custom Masks and saves over your project deleting all custom mask work.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Quickel wrote: »
    I've been trying to get a look similar to taking a Trim Dynamic brush to edges on DDo. I managed to get something decent but something which would make it so I don't always have to take a model into ZBrush and bang up the edges would be fantastic. So a few suggestions:

- More focus on edge wear. I feel like beaten up metal or wood or whatever, edge wear is often something artists need. Perhaps a way to have chunkier, more variable edge wear procedurally would be great. I was able to get there by making my own noise maps and then using the edge wear and additional photo textures but having a faster way to do it would be even better.

Exactly what this guy posted earlier.I edited some of it.

Something that can be applied to the normal map generation procedurally and randomlly along the edges of the model. Using a hand painted guide to show the program where the beatup edges should be, and then the prog does it randomly giving a authentic look that can be dialed up or down as needed.

I havent been able to try the beta program yet due to RL but did use DDO in the past. If this is already done then ignore. I'm just rreading through the thread and came across post and thought it was a good idea to have.
  • TJTAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if this is possible now (still can't get DDO to work right). Like a previous poster I want to be able to do dirts from particular directions. How about a way of loading a light map (such as max can bake) and having it interpret as a dirt direction. This way if i want my dirt to be going upward at an angle (to make rooster tails) I can render a light map from low front and use this to create a direction mask.
  • rickky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the perfect newbie can you make a complete tutorial like the aka one ?
    Thanks in advance
  • Gian-reto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi

My suggestion might be way out there and impossiblr to do without a complete re-engineering.

Still, its the only real gripe I have with the current version.

Now, as far as I understand it, materials in DDO work with a quite simple layer effect, overlaxing the flat color with the material.

That means though that everything is mapped in 2D UV space! Not in 3D Model space.

Now that is fine for simple models that cam hide the UV seams where nobody will notice. But for a lot of 3D models that is impossible.
    I have sculpted a quite simple barrel lately and tried to texturize it with DDO. With a round shape like this, there will always be at least one seam you cannot hide. And as it is rather obvious and large, I had a hard time using masks and materials with lots of variance in the texture, because the seam was quite obvious thanks to the way DDO maps the textures directly to the UV map.

And on UV map, both ends of the round parts seam of the barrel where laying on quite different parts of the UV mao!

Now I am aware that I could tweak my UV map to get better results... But the problem will still remain.

I have seen multiple 3D packages that allow you to map textures in 3D space to your model, and will compute what part of the texture will go where on the UV map.
    This is what DDO should do. Ideally with some kind of cubemapping so that the distortions are minimized.

Anyway, nice product, hope you will make it even better in the future.

Regards

Gian-Reto
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Need a way to ungroup individual layers too. Instead of ungrouping whole group and then grouping all layers back up and leaving out only those I want. Perhaps UI of dDo should mimic PS one, where you can drag out stuff out of groups.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just want to say that all your suggestions are reviewed by the dev-team so keep em coming! cheers!
  • Taowolf51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something small that's been bothering me, the "sharpen" function on the 3DO renderer. The way it is default looks good (if not a bit too sharp), but if I remove the sharpen filter entirely (turn it to 0), everything looks really blurry. Is this an issue with the renderer, or does turning "sharpen" below default actually act as a desharpen function?

If it's the former, is there a way for 3DO to be modified to provide an appropriate render when sharpening is off? If it's the latter, could we get a small tick and "snap to" where default is so that we don't accidentally under or over sharpen the render?

Also, I agree with these:
    Instead of preset 'dirt from above/below', something more useful might be a user defined vector, where you have a gizmo in 3do that allows you to define your direction.
    MikeB wrote: »
    y0rCh wrote: »
    Having a way to rotate the textures will be great. Sometimes the textures aren't aligned to the UV islands in a perfect way for whatever purpose.
    + The ability to offset textures/materials as well, sometimes I want a specific detail in a specific spot, and being able to offset it in DDO would be awesome.

Awesome job with the software so far, you've made me a convert, and I'm very excited to get my hands on Megatextures as well!
  • TJTAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could we get 3d Mouse support for the 3do window. I use the 3DConnexion Space navigators on both of my work machines and support for these would be really nice (if i could ever get meshes to load).
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Hey,

maybe already mentioned - a "one click to marmoset" solution would be nice.
    If i bought marmoset toolbag 2.0 - would be nice to have an documentation,
    that i can recreate the visual from ddo to toolbag2.
    Is there already an documentation ? let me know!

Thanks
  • chrisrat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey.

I would like to know how can I add to my texture something that I have already painted in another document. For example, I need to add stripes to my t-shirt texture. If it is possible, could you explain me how it works?
  • Gordon Robb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    It would be good to be able to create a map that finds edges in actual geometry, rather than using a normal map to find them. A bit like AO, but the opposite.
  • subspark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    subspark polycounter lvl 8
    OS X support please. Our studio is OS X based and rely on UE4 & Photoshop. We hope to add Quixel Suite to our toolset within the near future.
  • Wenceslas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been thinking... What about being able to make a map tileable only in X or in Y in NDO ?
  • Shanteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanteez polycounter lvl 5
    #facepalm why would an entire studio go OSX only? smh... Almost EVERYTHING in CGI starts out WINDOWS BASED... Horrible limitation they have bestowed on you guys...

Better masking selections like in Mari
    and the ability to paint directly on the mesh hopefully in that beautiful render screen.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for all your suggestions! We are taking them all in to consideration i promise you!

@chrisrat - Custom paint support is coming in the next release!

@subspark - A OSX version is under development, i don't dare to give you a timeframe as this is new territory for us!
  • jan19
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chrisrat - Custom paint support is coming in the next release!

Nice! :-)
  • hugojackson18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like TheAxiom said. being able to rotate materials would be amazing. Now, I know that Photoshop doesn't feature pattern rotating which is really annoying, but if you could find a solution to that problem, it would make like a lot easier!
    As well, if you could scale the pattern more precisely than halving steps, would be amazing!

Thanks for that awesome tool!
This discussion has been closed.