Home General Discussion

Blizzard siggraph seminar nov 19th vancouver

veteran polycounter
Offline / Send Message
PixelMasher veteran polycounter
Hey guys,
Just thought id give the early heads up about Blizzard coming to town and givin a little chat here in vancouver in november through the local siggraph chapter. tickets are not availiable yet, ill update this thread when they are.

just thought id get it out there kicking around in people minds :D no word on the subject of the seminar yet but im sure itll be dope as hell.

Replies

• Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds wicked. Ill go to that fer sure. wonder whats it aboot.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmmm, but I want to save money :p
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Ready to fork over the money for this.
  • Waz
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm interesting, I think Bassnectar is playing on the 22nd, would be a good weekend altogether, but not sure I could make it down to Van. Depends on price of tickets and what not too I guess. Someone record it!
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    for anyone who doesnt really now about the local Vancouver siggraph events, Ill give quicky breakdown:

tickets are usually 15-20 bucks, or usually only 10 bucks if you have a membership. the membership is 35 bucks for a year so if you go to a lot you will save a shitload of money.

the seminars themselves are usually 1-2 hours long and they get awesome people in to give talks, some of my previous faves have been:

valve - did a talk just before episode one came out, went over tools and creating believable characters etc

Propaganda games - overview of the production of turok with a panel of 5 ppl, was phenomenal.

relic - Alan bjorksten (sorry for the butchered last name) game a unbeliveable chat about the dynamic and destructable environments for company of heroes, probably my favorite one so far

Syd Mead - talked about everything and anything hahaha this guy was mind blowing.

pixar - came up to talk about the lighting and shading of ratatouille

and on tues there is the making of iron man

so as you can see they host some brilliant guest speakers and I would totally recommend this for anyone who loves CG in general. that and there is usually beer and wine. just look for me tumbling down the stairs or something equally embarrassing.

www.siggraph.ca
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    GAH, sold out already... boooo.
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Jeeze that was quick, didn't even know it was on sale.
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    im sure it sold out within the same day, something actually tells me that all seats were taken before it was released to the general public... or very few left...

Man though, cinematic discussion, thats gonna be really freakin great. I live close to the theatre maybe ill pop down before the show see if they release anything at the door, or maybe just some random thing happens :poly130: where i just, get in.

if not, ill go spend my ticket money on a jagger shot line-up along some random granville bar, and chase it with donairs...

if anyone has tix and cant make it, pM me please.
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    oh shit, they added an 'afternoon' lecture in addition to the evening show which has already sold out...

tix not yet on sale tho...

jesus and baby jesus I hope i get tickets...
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Tix for an added show just went onsale right now!

go go go !

edit: http://siggraph.ca/festivals/information.php
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    tickets are on sale for the afternoon show, gonna go fast, so grab 'em whilst they are available :P
  • rebel
    thnx for the heads up, i was able to get a ticket
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Tickets bought, thanks for the heads up, really looking forward to this. :D
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    excellent, I got some too.... anyone wanna meet up before the show close to there? There are a couple nearby pubs we could meet up at...
  • Okt
    Online / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    Damn, I just missed it, one of my classmates let me know they were on sale after he got his ticket, I ran back to my laptop and discovered they were all gone... It's not that far from home, I might go see if I can get a stand-in ticket.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    okt: get there eeeeearly then man, there was a long wait line for the ironman event and there ended up being only 5 extra tickets. good luck getting a ticket man, perserverance.....and perhaps a filled down toothbrush shank are sure to net you one :P hope you get in dude.

Micro: I dunno about meeting up before hand ill probably be coming straight from work be maybe meetup at the show eh?

cheers
  • parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    I will see you guys there.

-Kenny
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixel, are you going to the afternoon show or the evening show after work? I have tix for the afternoon one from todays sale.

If you want to meet up at the show that would be cool. It would be great to meet up with people from PC.
  • Okt
    Online / Send Message
    Okt polycounter lvl 19
    okt: get there eeeeearly then man, there was a long wait line for the ironman event and there ended up being only 5 extra tickets. good luck getting a ticket man, perserverance.....and perhaps a filled down toothbrush shank are sure to net you one :P hope you get in dude.

Micro: I dunno about meeting up before hand ill probably be coming straight from work be maybe meetup at the show eh?

cheers

Haha, thanks for the heads up, I'm thinking I'll round up a bunch of the homeless and pay them to camp out for me. The beauty of not only Vancouver, but being down on Hastings for school they shouldn't be hard to band together. I'm guessing I won't be able to see this one then, I think I'm going to a motion capture shoot a few hours before, I'll catch something neat next time.
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Went to this, this afternoon, was a pretty decent show, I definitely like the cinematics more than most of their games... (diablo is their ace in the hole IMO)

it was weird they actually read an email I sent them about not getting into the first round of tix they sold, funny they didnt reply to me and just randomly read it out hoping i was there...

anyway my favorite part was the explanation and uses he thought of for mocap, he had some very good points about that. They inspired me to get the lich king cinematic art book actually... its a very nice trailer... Ill be looking out for more of these events.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Went to this, this afternoon, was a pretty decent show, I definitely like the cinematics more than most of their games... (diablo is their ace in the hole IMO)

it was weird they actually read an email I sent them about not getting into the first round of tix they sold, funny they didnt reply to me and just randomly read it out hoping i was there...

anyway my favorite part was the explanation and uses he thought of for mocap, he had some very good points about that. They inspired me to get the lich king cinematic art book actually... its a very nice trailer... Ill be looking out for more of these events.

So that was you.

I find the whole show a must see, good learning, great networking, met up with a quite a few familiar faces actually.
  • Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, I got a free hat! lol.

I only met one other polycounter at the show, but I think from your avatar here you were sitting a couple rows in front of me.

It was ok, but I always want them to go deeper! I want to feel like im a virgin again! .... a powerpoint presentation on the greatness of storyboarding and the really high level conceptual stuff isnt really what churns my butter anymore. he kept saying himself its pretty well known stuff. It would have been cool to have spent a long time going through their new shaders since they just rebuilt them all and it would have been fresh, or if they would have physically have done anything in front of our eyes themselves...that would have been preferable to me.

it was cool though, I loved the clips, I didnt really expect much more from "directors" in terms of technical work but I was hoping for it.
  • Parnell
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    parasite7 wrote: »
    I will see you guys there.

-Kenny

Any chance you guys would come out to the Boston area?
    B
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    this event was fantastic, really enjoyed it. Micro, so that was you who won the hat eh, dope haha. the letter sounded hilariously awesome.

I really wish we got some more in depth looks at things like modeling insane detail and such but the overview proved to be super inspiring and a good look at some of the best cinematic work around. their lighting composting techniques was really cool/interesting, seems like they have a really tight control over it.
  • rebel
    Seeing the trailers on the big screen was a pleasure.
    Great presentation, very inspiring!