Home Unreal Engine

Dynamic Wet Clothes Effect

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers on the best approach to achieve a realistic wet surface/clothes effect for characters within UE4.

Creating the look itself isn't too problematic but that's as far as I get. I'm not sure how to actually implement it so the material interacts with the enviroment in a dynamic way.

Here's an example of the kind of effect I'm trying to achieve: [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=84yLxWtCnDs[/ame]

Thanks!

Replies

• Nacho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nacho polycounter lvl 5
    Hey! I'm not a master in UE4 but have some experience and, as far as I know, this could be done using vertex painting to switch between textures. That will solve the transition between dry and wet but, to make it happen or make some surface able to trigger the change you'll need to use blueprints or coding and that's not my field :(

Hope this was of some help and good luck! It'll be nice to see the results
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    You really will need to use blueprint to make this interactive.

Hook up a material parameter called "Wet" or whatever you like. I'd suggest a 0-1 range, where 0 is dry, 1 is fully wet, then drive your transition between wet and dry with that parameter. (lerp node, if node, whatever more complicated setup you like)

In blueprint you'd need your character to get a handle to that material parameter, and update it based on if they were wet or not, along with some kind of dry timer. And of course that would be set via some sort of either collision with whatever signifies water in your game, or some kind of level info node for rain.

But no, you can't make it interactive using JUST materials.
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! That's the answer I was looking for. Now I know for sure where to look!