Home Unreal Engine

Swarm Failing

jsargent
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jsargent polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys...I just installed UE4 and swarm is failing. I had this problem with UDK before and it just started happening suddenly in any version of unreal I used. It did used to work a long time ago, no idea what changed :( I tried reinstalling, tried disabling all firewalls, tried setting to high priority in task manager... Basically I tried everything I could find after extensive reinstalling and researching the issue. The old swarm used to crash the editor but in UE4 it just fails without a crash. I would really appreciate any help, I'm totally out of ideas.

Thanks guys

Replies

• LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I don't know, but, make sure your light map sizes are all correct, and you have clean lightmap UVs that aren't too packed.
    One time I had swarm failure, I accidentally set the light map for a static mesh to 6432 (should have been to 64 from 32)
    Then, this other time I had much too complicated meshes (lots of floating geometry) and it would crash lightmass.
  • jsargent
    Offline / Send Message
    It wont even light the default scene with preview settings. In fact it even crashes if I just try to open it without unreal even open :( Anyone got any other ideas, I'm on the verge of reformatting everything :(
  • jsargent
    Offline / Send Message
    This is whats in the log...

Starting up SwarmAgent ...
    ... registering SwarmAgent with remoting service
    ... registering SwarmAgent network channels
    [ERROR] Channel already registered, suggesting another SwarmAgent or client is running.
    [ERROR] If you feel this is in error, check your running process list for additional copies of
    [ERROR] SwarmAgent or UnrealLightmass (or other client) and consider killing them.
    [ERROR] Sleeping for a few seconds and trying again...
    [ERROR] Channel already registered, suggesting another SwarmAgent or client is running.
    [ERROR] If you feel this is in error, check your running process list for additional copies of
    [ERROR] SwarmAgent or UnrealLightmass (or other client) and consider killing them.
    [ERROR] Sleeping for a few seconds and trying again...
    ... initializing SwarmAgent
    ...... checking certificate
    ......... certificate check has failed
    ...... initializing cache
    ......... using cache folder 'C:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.0\Engine\Binaries\DotNET/SwarmCache'
    ......... recreating SwarmAgent cache staging area
    ...... initializing connection to SwarmCoordinator
    ......... using SwarmCoordinator on RENDER-01
    [PingCoordinator] Determined that we couldn't ping the coordinator
    [PingCoordinator] Coordinator ping failed
    ......... SwarmCoordinator failed to be initialized
    ...... initializing local performance monitoring subsystem
    ...... local performance monitoring subsystem initialization failed
  • jsargent
    Offline / Send Message
    also I can open the swarm coordinator but if I try to open the swarm agent it just comes up in the task bar briefly and then disappears. This meant I cant get in to change any settings.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I had problems before with Lightmass, which I believe that Swarm is, and the problem was the my firewall, which blocked communication with the 'server' that swarm create. Maybe take a look at that.
  • jsargent
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your reply but I have already tried disabling both firewalls and I have tried unplugging the internet too :(
  • ironbelly
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Did you try disabling your antivirus? Avast's file shield will cause this issue if Swarm isn't on the exception list
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    Are you trying to use swarm to distribute your lighting builds between multiple machines, or can you not bake lighting at all (on a single machine)?

I had do jump through some hoops and download some "patched" files for swarm from the UE4 forums to get distributed bakes working correctly. If that's your issue, I can dig up that stuff when I get home.