Home Unreal Engine

Roughness/Metallic Problem in light

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Aboulicious polycounter lvl 4
Hi community,

I would like to continue working on my piece, but I'm stuck at one point in UE4. I hope you can help me find a solution.

Here is the problem:

In UE4, the shading of the metallic surface looks very dirty at the blend from rough (dry blood) to smooth (gold/silver). But this happens only when I put the light intensity of the "directional light" (or point light) over 1. But if I put the intensity on 1 there is no shadow at all and the scene is not "sunny" enough. And when I put the intensity on 10, I've got the problem described.

I hope you can help me find a solution!!!

Intensity 10:
apukfv2srnak.jpg

b236purfxyca.jpg

Intensity 1:

3fndsb944jq1.jpg

kmwxg9tcfabo.jpg

Here the hole threat on Polycount

Replies

• JoakimMellergard
    Screenshots of textures and material would help!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Best guess is its looking dirty because its a transition area. So the roughness is between whatever you have the blood at (looks like really rough) and the smoothness of the metal, so the reflections are appropriately blurry, but without the obvious blood stain on them to carry the rough look.

My suggestion would be sharpening the transitions on the rough blood mask. If you want to test this in engine, just plug the roughness mask into a power node, then turn up the power value a ways 4 should be a good start, and you likely wont need to go higher than 10. See if that helps. If so, make the change in your texture and remove the power node in the material.