Home General Discussion

:Learn Anatomy/Drawing from online courses/tutorials/books

Is there a advantage for learning Drawing and Anatomy from online tutorials and books?

I don't really like to go to Art college, it is wasting of time and lot of money. On top of that, i will probably learn there something i don't like it or/and have useless subjects.

Also, i would like to tell me, how much to spend per day/hour for learning how to draw? I don't want to overdo myself,because i don't want to became concept artist. And since i want more time to spend with modeling in Maya and learning Zbrush as well, any recommendation for Zbrush tutorials/online courses.

Replies

• inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    Hello Ciceto!
    As for anatomy books I can recommend u books by Gottfried Bammes. They are really very helpful!
    Also, some other guides:
    Eliot Goldfinger - Human Anatomy for Artists
    Stephen Rogers Peck - Anatomy Atlas
    All books by Burne Hogarth
    Pay attention on Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing - Design and Invention.
    And the basic thing for learning anatomy is drawings from observation!
    As for Zbrush, Zbrushworkshops would be great, I think.
  • JRay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JRay polycounter lvl 10
    I would check out Andrew Loomis in addition to what inflict3d listed. I'm pretty sure his books are available for free if you just Google his name. I would also highly recommend any life drawing courses you can get into.
  • Ciceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot. all these books my friend already have them,he will bring them to me on Sunday.

What is best way to approach Anatomy? There are lot of information even in one part of the body. So i assume to study and draw part by part will be good idea? From where to start? I find head is the most detailed and complex. So i want to leave that for last. Should i start from hand? chest, leg, foot?
  • JRay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JRay polycounter lvl 10
    I would do the whole body gesture drawings so you get a good understanding of the proportions and how weight is balanced. Learn your bones and muscles. Take your time and study how forms relate to each other.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I still think it is a good idea to sign up for figure drawing sessions in your area.
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    The knkl shows by Kienan Lafferty on youtube are good tutorials aswell, he does a very good job explaining anatomy and other things expecially for aspiring artists, I found those really helpfull.
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Just a question relating to this topic, what's the advantage to learning how to draw anatomy in 2d versus solely learning and doing it in zbrush with anatomy reference from books? I guess in other words, what's the advantage to drawing?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Interesting site for shoulder blade region refs.

http://fixtheneck.com/shoulder_blades.html

fixtheneck_exercise.jpg
  • Ciceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JRay wrote: »
    I would do the whole body gesture drawings so you get a good understanding of the proportions and how weight is balanced. Learn your bones and muscles. Take your time and study how forms relate to each other.

This gesture drawing should be simplified drawing or need to be more realistic?

How do you mean to study how forms related to each other?

Isn't a bit overwhelming to learn all muscles and bones at once? I will be more lost than now if i do that. I want to break things up. But, i am not sure where to start/
  • inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ciceto
    hey, man, just be more confident!
    First of all, u need to learn basic structure of skeleton, bones, how each part of it connects to other. Then muscles, shapes of body, separate parts of body.
    Here some example of plan:
    Basic proportions > skeleton > muscles > shapes/form > head + neck > upper body (chest+shoulders+arms+hands) > torso+pelvis >legs+feet
    Here is very useful anatomy tuts!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV
    And find something of Vilppu tuts, highly recommend!
  • Ciceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot. I don't really like Vlippu tuts. because, of the low quality of his videos and every time he draw, his body with his hand is covering all over his drawing and i can't see anything.

So to start from inside out? To start from skull to whole skeleton? And learn bones separately from different part of the body?

What do you mean by basic proportions?
  • inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for basic proportions I mean this pictur13.png
    Just read Loomis books.
    Then u can read about three major masses of body: head, torso and pelvis and do some exercises. It's teach u to see some regularities in body structure.
    (see some videos here http://ctrlpaint.com/library/ - Anatomy)
    As for me i started from life-drawings of: skull>ecorche>head model from quads (don't know, how it in english) >gypsum greek head > life male head
    Currently i learn torso and shoulders.
    My principe of anatomy learnings consists of two paths - drawing masses from photos and drawing one single part of body.
    Hooh, it sounds difficult maybe :O
  • Ciceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, can you tell me about Riven Phoenix videos and tutorials about drawing human? I seen he do this step by step, he draw every single part of the body.

Any reviews about his teaching methods, it is good for someone like me?

Edit:

Can you guys please tell me in order what to learn for anatomy?
    Should i start with proportions? I found this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvrocH4noms

Should i draw lets say 20 or more like that. And after that to try to draw without any tutorial?

What to do next?
  • Ciceto
  • jack1090
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, some ebook can be downloaded here, it is about anatomy, hopefully useful

http://www.aazea.com/book_genres/anatomy/
    http://zeabooks.com/anatomy/
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Why are you leaning anatomy? What do you want to do with it?
    Edit: Oh, it's a year-old thread (2014).