Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Yorozuya Gin-Chan

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
LATEST UPDATE:
iauJY7M.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm a huge fan of the anime Gintama and decided to try and recreate the interior of the main character's house. My main goal of this piece is to get used to UE4, and also the PBR texture pipeline. What I've noticed (I may be wrong) is with all this new PBR tech, everyone seems so fixated on metals metals metals, so another reason why I chose this was to try and stray away from the metalness. :D

Some of the images I'm referencing.
rtokoUH.jpg
What I've got so far
86Nbn86NcK

It's not much as of right now. I just set up the master materials for the wood and the wall plaster that I can apply to all the modular pieces for the walls that I'm currently making. Right now I just have the wall panel, 2 wall panels with overhang variations and the ceiling which is just a normal map i modeled then baked onto a plane.

Replies

• ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    i love gintama :D

looking great so far .
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Needs a Sadaharu.
  • John Baxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Baxter polycounter lvl 7
    The normals on your floor look inverted to me.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @ayoub44 Thanks man!

@S2Engine I know haha. Maybe I'll use this opportunity to maybe learn how to model and sculpt animals.

@John Baxter Yeah, I knew something was off but I figured I'd mess with it later, but it's bothering me now. I think I know what the issue is though. 87nTI.jpg

The indents in the wood tiles are getting teh same amount of light as the surface, I think that's what's causing the normals to look inverted. I'm using a black and white texture to do the tiling, maybe I have to add that with the roughness as well?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good to me the only thing once again about the floor is the lack of panel lines showing the separate connecting parts (idk the name for that).
    I know in the show they have constant panels but idk looks odd to me, though would be pretty awesome to get something like that in real life.

Nice work so far, do what you wish, will enjoy viewing your progress.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @D4V1DC I thought that was weird too, but that's how it is in the anime so I just went with it. 87sr5.jpg87suP.jpg

I think it looks a little bit better?
    87sAy.jpg

And the material instance:
    87sHU.jpg
  • Evenios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I would lower the specularity of it. It has very bright reflections now, compared to how I imagine it.

Also, you're sure the green-channel of the normals aren't inverted? It's X+, Y-, Z+?
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Alright I inverted the green channel of the tile normal in Photoshop and I added a specular parameter and brought it down a little bit.
    885dd.jpg
    Not sure if its better or not. It's weird though because when I bake my normal maps for my assets in xnormal, the settings are positive for all 3 axis.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The normal map looks much better. UDK always uses X+, Y-, Z+. Same with CryEngine. Maya and Marmoset use Y+ (but both allow you to use either, though, with a switch).
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    In UE4, you can open up a texture asset and set it to automatically flip the green channel so you don't manually have to do it every time.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Im confused though. I bake my normals in xnormal with X+ Y+ Z+ and they look fine(to me at least) when I bring them into UE4. 88TPw.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    If you look where they meet the floor, they look a little wonky. UE4 unquestionably uses X+ Y- Z+; if you're baking for UE4, you should use those settings in xnormal, or toggle the "flip green channel" button in UE4.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Scizz wrote: »
    Im confused though. I bake my normals in xnormal with X+ Y+ Z+ and they look fine(to me at least) when I bring them into UE4.

That could be because your details on your normal maps are not extreme. What do your normal maps look like? If they are mostly blue, they some small changes in the green channel aren't likely to have much effect, but try it with a strong green channel normal map and you will see the difference.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @Joopson & LMP Thank's guys. Yeah I inverted the green channels on all my normals and the overall look seems more accurate.

I finished the wall pieces and put it all together. Next I'm going to start working on the doors and windows.
    89lq2.jpg
    89lAH.jpg
    89lCe.jpg
    I'm getting weird lighting errors on some of the models, even though I have light maps I made in 3ds.(I just used a flatten mapping on my model after I unwrapped it) :(
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Not much of an update. Just blocked out the kitchen and the bathroom. I had to spend a lot of time viewing some episodes and piecing the rooms together the best I could. They don't really show much outside the main living room so the bathroom and kitchen area won't be exactly what they would be in the anime, but then again, who knows what exactly is. :D
    Bathroom
    8aBIr
    Kitchen
    8aBGp
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Are you using just 1 texture sample per plank? You can sort of see the repetition and it forms it's own lines which show the tiling, maybe putting 3 or so planks side by side for the texture may help break that up?
  • Daedalus51
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daedalus51 polycounter lvl 5
    Scizz wrote: »
    @ayoub44 Thanks man!

@S2Engine I know haha. Maybe I'll use this opportunity to maybe learn how to model and sculpt animals.

@John Baxter Yeah, I knew something was off but I figured I'd mess with it later, but it's bothering me now. I think I know what the issue is though. 87nTI.jpg

The indents in the wood tiles are getting teh same amount of light as the surface, I think that's what's causing the normals to look inverted. I'm using a black and white texture to do the tiling, maybe I have to add that with the roughness as well?

Hey man, if you are still fighting this issue (even after using the correct Y orientation) there is a nice way to help fixing this.

The specular input can also be used for microshadowing. Actually Epic even had plans to rename the slot to cavity^^

So what you can do is the following:

-bake a cavity map with very high contrast (so that its almost only b/w)
    -put it in the material and use it as alpha for a lerp
    -black should be at 0 and white should be at 0.5 (because spec without input is at 0.5) otherwise you will get too strong highlights for that kind of surface
    -now plug this into spec

what that actually does is kill the reflection in cavities. You can achieve a similar effect by baking an AO and plugging it into the AO material slot.

Thats also pretty cool since it gets masked off by direct light. So cavities are only masked in shadowed areas which adds a lot to the scene and material defintion :)

Cheers
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @Daedalus51 Thanks for the input! I managed to figure it out by one, inverting my normals like everyone said, and two, adjusting my AO for in between the tiles. I think I got it good for now and I'll tweak it later when I'm fine tuning the scene.
    @shadownami92 I'm using a single tileable wood texture for the floor and everything else that's wood for the most part. For the floor I'm just using a mask I made in photoshop for the tiles, I generated my normal from that same mask. 8ewMi.png
    UPDATE:
    I added a few windows, the fusama sliding doors, and did some rearranging of certain walls and areas.
    8eslX
    8etCt.jpg
    8etIA.jpg
    I'm having an little issue with my mask for the doors though. Whenever I get real close I can see these horizontal lines that aren't there in the texture.
    8ewPP.jpg
    When I am far away from the object it kind of pops in too.
    8ewgg.jpg

Gonna model the last few doors I have to do, then I'll start filing the scene up with some furniture. :D
  • natysoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing stuff feels like the Xiii game :D
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    It looks good for what it is, but IMO you picked a boring subject. It's a decent anime but the scenery is a bit bland.
  • Yogensya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yogensya polycounter lvl 9
    komaokc wrote: »
    It looks good for what it is, but IMO you picked a boring subject. It's a decent anime but the scenery is a bit bland.

In my opinion that depends on personal preference. Sure it's not as eye candy as a sci-fi corridor to say an example, but i definitely like it so far. Besides, the scene is not finished compared to the refs, so i'm looking forward to seeing the end result. :)
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Small little update: Finished the glass doors for the entrance to the living room, added the ceiling light and a mock up of the rug to fill the scene a little more. I also created a blueprint for my fly-through when I'm finished for the lights to turn on when I enter the rooms and blocked out the desk just to get a sense of scale.
    8iCSV.jpg
    Gonna start adding in a lot of furniture next. Starting with the table, and the desk.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Finished a few furniture pieces and got finished with the desk hi-poly. Gonna bring it into photoshop and add more details as far as the dressers with NDo2.
    8nTCm.jpg
    8nTJt.jpg
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Little update:
    8rRuO
    I'm learning a lot from my mistakes modeling and texutring wise. I can't wait to start a different project I have in mind, and apply my gained knowledge to it, but I have to make sure I finish this one first! Kind of getting sick of seeing this room so I'm gonna start working on another room in the house for a bit.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Welp, I think its looking pretty good so far. I finished a few more living room dressers. I just need to model 2 more dressers overall. I also added the tatami mats in the bedroom.
    8B8BL
    8B9jq
    8B9n7
    8AQA9
    I was also lurking the UE4 thread and discovered that document to simulate bounced light from the sun into the room, the problem is, I don't really know what it "supposed" to look like, but the lighting "looks" fine to me, for now anyways.
    8B9ro
    8B9st
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Small Update:
    After spending some time learning Substance Designer(WHICH IS FUCKING AWESOME), and re evaluating how I go about making PBR textures, I learned a lot and then continued to work on some more props.
    8UufO
    8Utw6

Even though the props are small, every little prop adds more and more life to the scene.
    8UuW2.jpg
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I fixed up the bedroom quiet a bit, added the sword, some shelf space, the poster, added his poster above the desk.
    91JiJ
    91wb0
    91HSr
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    This is really cute, looking great so far. :)
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Alright, I think I'm going to consider this finished for now. This fan art project was mainly a learning experience for me. Learning the PBR workflow, UE4, Substance Designer etc. I learned a lot and am going to go all out on my next original environment I have in mind. Thanks for everyones feedback and critique! :D
    iauJY7M.jpg
    klcNgDW.jpg
    gupXX7h.jpg
    ousJXF2.jpg
    NcUtjFU.jpg
    oBy9dsX.jpg
    Xxet5Et.jpg