Replies

• Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    I had an old naga sketch
    Today I got some time to start the sculpt
    as usual comments/critics are loved :)
    (The details on the tail are just experiments, but I would love to know your thoughts about them)
    34np107.jpg

P.S. not sure if I finish the set this month since I'm all fed up with my uni works but if you tell me which part is your most favorite I'll try to finish it withing the month :)
  • hmshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Reza, The tail is nice, and the details on it are good, but I think ingame, the holes on the tail wont show. .You should test that before finishing the tail. What is the head supposed to be made of ?

@ skydoll28 i think they are supposed to have the same texture and uvs. You could easily get 1100 tris for lod 0 by simplifying a part of the horns that are almost like a straight line.

@ Actuali, I think all of tide hunter's off-hand weapons look like dragging behind, so maybe the whole doll will look like that and it will look weird. you should test that ingame.

EDIT : Is this normal in a normal map? igGrtfb.png
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
  • mattface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baddcog - Thanks, I've tried beefing up the coral, making it a bit more noticeable, also love the idea of a sea anemone, thanks!
    I like the conch from the angle you have it currently, shows off more of the shape without hiding her face.

Been working on 3D stuff and improving my design, including a quick test bake and experimenting with some alphas to make a Anemone, I think I'm getting somewhere, I only created the alpha textures quickly in white as a test. so i'm hoping once I've spent some more time on them the anemone won't look as crap! :P

Za9SbCn.png

and a shot of my highpoly

eLNrn6j.png
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    You should be able to get a decent bake with high poly tentacles on the anemone. A bunch of cylinders around the top, then put the planes right through the middle (top facing nes only). Bake and clone/flip those planes (at least for the high, I don't think you need down facing planes on them in game.

Might even look best more cartoony, instead of 50 tentacles do big thick ones, maybe 10?

--
    @hmshark,
    You probably have uv issues. Hard to say without seeing them.
    -
    @reza,

Honestly don't like the tail at all with the holes.

But the head/sword combo is awesome. The mask is a bit much though.
    The head looks really cool and the sword compliments it well.

-
    @confracto,

I like the net. I think you could make it just fine with alpha, If the ropes are brown you could have great contrast to his skin and they would stand out a lot. I'd just do thick ropes with big holes. The seaweed and shells will fill in the rest nicely. Maybe even a treasure map :) Or note in bottle?
    ========

I actually meant to post the portrait picture like this. Rough estimate of camera angle.

Which looks best? The one on the right would just be having the conch mirrored, since the portrait will always be seen.

conch_portrait_fix.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »

I actually meant to post the portrait picture like this. Rough estimate of camera angle.

Which looks best? The one on the right would just be having the conch mirrored, since the portrait will always be seen.

looking really nice this piece, it may help you try to save some extra poligons to the connection with the face, o my last set fro lone druid i expend a lot of them just trying to make the sillhouette less hard

---

btw guys, im planning to submitt something for this month, my wife hated the idea but i still like and would like to see your guys opinion

8i6ZY.jpg

She said that Tidehunter is an evil guy and should use at least a carcass of a dead whale but i like the idea of making a little pet =]

I can also make a pattern to follow tides tiger scheme.

Any suggestion will be welcome
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    Andyk125 - I really like the shape of that dagger. Looking forward to seeing it textured.

confracto - I like the weapon itself, but I am not sure about the color scheme. It seems to contradict the characters colors. I would play around with a different palette.

mattface - I would really like to see a smaller render to try and see how that piece will read.

two_larsens - Thanks :)

Anuxinamoon - Really helpful advice, I tweaked the flow of the "tentacles" and I do believe that I have manage to not only make it seem lighter but more feminine as well. Thanks :)

Baddcog - I really like the conch. I think its shaping up very well. Good job.

Skydoll28 - Those horns!!! I think in game that is going to read very well. Nice textures too.

go899th - I think that the siloutte of that dagger is going to be hard to read. I would work on some other forms. Nice start though.

Reza - I agree with the others. The holes in the fin will not only take up extra geo but most likely wont be seen ingame. I would continue witht he headpiece though.

Tvidotto - I think having the whale buddy is a great idea.

Ok after seeing some of the comments I managed to tweak the weight of the headress. I'm actually quite pleased with the shape now. I just need to do some detail work and I will be on to retopo.

Image003.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I think that the Tidehunter whale is a bit uninspired, at least compared to every other item from you, you should give some more thought because the initial idea isn't *that* bad, just a bit too simple. I also agree that Tide is more of a bad guy and a carcass of a dead animal would fit him much better, but there's already an item with a similar theme ingame:

kJ4gOFL.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    I think that the Tidehunter whale is a bit uninspired, at least compared to every other item from you, you should give some more thought because the initial idea isn't *that* bad, just a bit too simple. I also agree that Tide is more of a bad guy and a carcass of a dead animal would fit him much better, but there's already an item with a similar theme ingame:

kJ4gOFL.jpg

yep, that is one of the reasons i dont want to use the carcass, my idea is to make kind of the good version of the shark from Primrose.

8icWT.jpg
    EDIT - HUGE MISTAKE HERE, whales doesnt have those breathing spaces i made it

I also placed more to the back to not clip with other items. Tide have some old items that uses to back slot but are on the head.

This shark for example, you can use it with any other head item and they may clip a lot, and some of them looks great! the best one is the shark with the octopus =]

At first i was planning to make a clown fish as the offhand weapon but i wasnt liking the idea. this one is more to get the orca skin fell that was never added in game

dota2-tidehunter-orca-skin.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito wrote: »
    Ok after seeing some of the comments I managed to tweak the weight of the headress. I'm actually quite pleased with the shape now. I just need to do some detail work and I will be on to retopo.

Image003.png

the only thing that bothers me a little is that it hides the face on the ingame view, but some cosmetics already in game does that so it should not be a problem.

Other then that is looking great, i really like the hanging "hair" on the back
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    I was looking at the original Tidehunter from DOTA 1 and he has a stingray on his head. Here is my attempt at a turtle.

bluXJ3O.gif
  • Darkinub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @StuBurrito
    That head looks amazing, I agree that the head maybe covering the face too much. (maybe shorten the hose part?)
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    Here is the new WIP version:
    2ynqx60.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin wrote: »
    I was looking at the original Tidehunter from DOTA 1 and he has a stingray on his head. Here is my attempt at a turtle.

bluXJ3O.gif

that is the cutest evil turtei ever saw, great work! we are going to gave a good fight this month =]
    Reza wrote: »
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    Here is the new WIP version:
    2ynqx60.jpg

i really like the idea and how consistence your set is, only the mask that may be an issue for you later, it remembers me some glasses and people may not like it.
    I think you should try that idea but be prepared for some mad guys.

Also feel free to post the set here but dont forget that the competition this month is for single items, so just submit one

and good luck!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tamarin, forget to say, i think that head will look really nice with some cloth system, if you need some help with that just let me and pm and i can guide on how to do that (if you dont know already, of course)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

bluXJ3O.gif

love the turtle!
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    @StuBurrito
    yeah, I realized I hadn't mentioned those were somewhat placeholder colours, and I've been working with new ones for a bit, and just not posted them.

I've kept the gold close to the same, and wanted a similar red to the ribbons, but closer to a more bold primary red, and a dark shaft. I still want to get more definition out of the grip wraps, and I'm not sure what to add onto the dark section of the side of the blade for detail. any ideas?

5GmBNrt.jpg
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Image003.png

I like the improved design it's a good step in the right direction. :) Can you make the crustacean shape slightly more elegant at all? Like a more flowing aerodynamic shape? Like making the middle two legs of the crustacean a bit shorter to provide a nice smooth slope. Sort of like what is already present at Nagas tail.
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    8icWT.jpg

I really love the buddy whale concept it's awesome fun, but I agree that as previously stated it doesn't really fit with Tide's 'baddie' status. Considering the themeing, maybe it could be modified to be more of a 'white whale'? Like a Beluga whale? They're sort of ugly in a cute way (like pugs and Tide himself). I think the story of the white whale also sort of fits with Tide's resentful and aimless nature. I know the buddy whale concept is still maybe too much fun for a 'serious business' character but I'd hate to see it scrapped.

As for me, I've been dealing with loads of life stuff recently so the fish knife staff for Slardar has sort of taken a backseat. I've worked with various sculpting tools with Blender and I've had loads of trouble with compatibility. So I'm jumping ship to Maya and Mudbox, learning up atm, I'll still try to have something up by the end of the month. But overall a great success, loads of lessons learned.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've worked with various sculpting tools with Blender and I've had loads of trouble with compatibility. So I'm jumping ship to Maya and Mudbox, learning up atm, I'll still try to have something up by the end of the month.

Blender + Sculptris FTW
  • Yatra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here goes! This is a weapon for Tidehunter, where the concept (hopefully obvious) is that he's stuck a swordfish with an oversized fish-hook and is using it as a weapon.

Also this contest inspired me to finally make an account and make my first post!

Original concept:
    8kmgw.jpg

Current WIP sculpt:
    8km9n.jpg
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender + Sculptris FTW

I did try blender+sculptris, I guess it must be something I'm doing wrong, I got consistent mesh errors when importing/exporting in the wavefront format. I could get rid of these errors with an edge modifier but then the faces would separate when I sculpted...
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I'm loving Blender even more since the move. Very daunting at first but heck, it's one powerful piece of software. Sculpting is great too, hadn't run into any complications so far.
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been using Blender for years and only learned a fraction of what the program has to offer. That sounds bad, but my interest has always been in game art so I don't explore other areas much.

I have been harassing Tvidotto lately to try and understand the whole decompile/compile process for DOTA. I feel restricted atm from my lack of knowledge. I wish there was a DOTA file format class I could attend.

Between Blender and Sculptris I use .obj format - but it shouldn't matter. I don't understand what your issue is from your description. Real pro artists use ZBrush for sculpting - but you can have a lot of fun with Sculptris for FREE.
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could be any number of things really; I'm very new to modelling in general. I think maybe I'm too neat because I like all my vertices to be merged and tidy causing manifold errors. In any case, I'll keep bashing my head against it.

Maybe a 'Sculpting an organic shape using Sculptris+Blender tutorial', would be a good thing. There's already a few good videos on using Blender alone which, I agree, is totes amazeballs.

Vertical out of curiosity what were you using before? I've been pretty impressed with Maya so far.

Tamarin, I'm not sure I understand what you mean, how in-depth are you looking? The code involved in putting together a .smd file?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gh33 wrote: »
    I really love the buddy whale concept it's awesome fun, but I agree that as previously stated it doesn't really fit with Tide's 'baddie' status. Considering the themeing, maybe it could be modified to be more of a 'white whale'? Like a Beluga whale? They're sort of ugly in a cute way (like pugs and Tide himself). I think the story of the white whale also sort of fits with Tide's resentful and aimless nature. I know the buddy whale concept is still maybe too much fun for a 'serious business' character but I'd hate to see it scrapped.

you are probably right, maybe a less cute whale would fit better, but i really like orcas =]

AgedHauntingIlladopsis.gif

VagueIdenticalHanumanmonkey.gif
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

My life is now complete.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Completely forgot but congratulations to the last winners!

@Tvidotto: Looks great! really like the idea, also the animation look really nice this way.
    Only thing is it might be too cute, like you said yourself.

I almost finished the high poly for the slark weapon, what do you guys think?
    AOSeavm.jpg
  • Llama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are probably right, maybe a less cute whale would fit better, but i really like orcas =]

It is amazing.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Completely forgot but congratulations to the last winners!

@Tvidotto: Looks great! really like the idea, also the animation look really nice this way.
    Only thing is it might be too cute, like you said yourself.

I almost finished the high poly for the slark weapon, what do you guys think?
    AOSeavm.jpg

as i said before im loving the shape. Some details may look too small but depending on your uv they will work nicely

looking forward to see the chain bake

Btw, about the whale, there is NO keyframe animation, they are just cloth and flexes
  • hmshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tvidotto, I think the evil whale looks good with tide hunter. look at tide hunter's face, it looks really evil.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Maybe a 'Sculpting an organic shape using Sculptris+Blender tutorial', would be a good thing. There's already a few good videos on using Blender alone which, I agree, is totes amazeballs.

Where do you look for your Blender video tutorials? I'm reading a Blender book and it's not as fun as watching. :/
    Vertical out of curiosity what were you using before? I've been pretty impressed with Maya so far.

I was using 3DS Max for the time using a student license and figured that I won't be paying $3000+ for software anytime soon. Atleast not in the near future however. So I jumped on the Blender train. And very impressed! I might not even consider going for other packages. However, I do agree that photoshop and zbrush is quite phenomenal for asset creation.
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical wrote: »
    Where do you look for your Blender video tutorials? I'm reading a Blender book and it's not as fun as watching. :/

I was using 3DS Max for the time using a student license and figured that I won't be paying $3000+ for software anytime soon. At least not in the near future however. So I jumped on the Blender train. And very impressed! I might not even consider going for other packages. However, I do agree that photoshop and zbrush is quite phenomenal for asset creation.

This guy on Youtube goes through making an weapon in Blender step-by-step and his commentary is quite good. Although tbh will all the items in your workshop you probably know all of his chat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbfRjIrk_U
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andyk, nice sculpting.

Got around to working on painting in Modo more. Starting to like it, had to do this several times though. This is diffuse only. Going to resculpt to match the paint better.

naga_paint.jpg

I can see a seam looking close, but pretty cool being able to pick a color right off the original mesh and paint away.
    Also looks like even though the alpha channel helps modo bake out a 3 pixel border that doesn't work with the paint tools, I'll have to touch that up in ps I guess.
  • two_larsens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two_larsens polycounter lvl 6
    Good stuff so far. Liking the whale on Tide. Personally I don't think it needs to look evil, and that its somewhat resigned look, might be a good contrast to the more determined Tide. Anchor knife looks good, but as mentioned then perhaps many of the details won't show, but who knows? Naga is coming along, though the only thing I would point out would be the abrupt changes at the end of the shell and the spikes coming out. It looks a little non-organic and square.

H
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @Andyk, nice sculpting.

Got around to working on painting in Modo more. Starting to like it, had to do this several times though. This is diffuse only. Going to resculpt to match the paint better.

naga_paint.jpg

I can see a seam looking close, but pretty cool being able to pick a color right off the original mesh and paint away.
    Also looks like even though the alpha channel helps modo bake out a 3 pixel border that doesn't work with the paint tools, I'll have to touch that up in ps I guess.

Hot dayum, one of the most interesting head concept for Naga! It's pretty seamless from what I observe. Just a note that the hero portrait view might not display the best if the shell pattern is in counter-clockwise.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Tvidotto and Baddcog: Thanks!

The chain bake was pretty difficult and I couldn't achieve teh results i wanted with that shape so I needed to change a few thing..

Here's the result so far, it's just a simple bake result, but the details don't look too bad. I think it will improve a lot when i start coloring it.

hY7j11U.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Got the off-hand weapon baked + a lazy texture for now:
    rcq5ol.jpg

One question! Am I doing something wrong or naga's weapon/off-hand are the other way around. Here in this picture I selected the "weapon" slot but boned it to Sword_L which is supposed to be for off-hand(according to workshop page)

BTW thanks for your comments, they were really helpful
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cottonwings,
    I'll probably test with it mirrored to see which looks best in portrait when I'm done. Luckily here head is mirrored (just checked :D ) so the texture matches either way.

@andyk125,

Looks great. Chain read nicely so that's good. Fish is a little harder to see in game, sure colors will help. Still, it's a nice shape from a distance and I wouldn't really expect to see those details anyway.

@reza, weap looks great. Haven't messed with the weaps though, is it not appearing how you think it should?
  • Yatra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 , I have to agree with Baddcog: Wonderful bake, but I stop seeing the fish as a very fishy shape. I think having it textured should make it feel a bit more fish-like, but you might have to do something like make the back fin a noticeably different color than the body, so people see it as a distinct fin shape and go "Oh, that's a fish!" at first glance, rather than seeing an oddly colored cross-piece on the handle. Then again, it might not even be much of an issue in the end.

--

Did a bit more on the sculpting, mostly tried to push the larger shapes like the gills, baked, and did a quick pass at painting. I was originally going with a blueish grey for the swordfish's colors, but that didn't feel like it fit the character very well. I ended up going too much in the opposite direction though - I think the current colors lack a lot of contrast and sort of end up getting maybe a little muddled up? This is my first time trying to tackle really stylized colors matched to a character, so feedback especially about colors and texture would be much appreciated!

8nclK.jpg
  • mattface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andyk125 I really like those in game shots, the chain is looking good in game!

@Baddcog looking nice! :)

@Reza I'm liking that design

@Yatra I love the swordfish, fits Tidehunter very well!

got a little update, Hopefully will start splashing some colour around today

euj3YsP.png

rQ84uLu.png

yfBybIE.png
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I have a question for you. How do you get those large in-game shots like Reza and Tvidotto have above. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edit: I think I've got it. Figured out how to take my Dota2 models compiled by the workshop publish items and get them into the decompiled Model viewer. Now I just need to figure out how to get a ground in there.

P.S. It's really cool looking at the quality of everyone's published items in there as well.

Cheers!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Yatra, That is epic: Sword Fish :D The hook is a great handle. So obvious how could it have not been done before?

I think the main issue is the colors. I like the sword fish skin but all his regular weapons are a different color than him. I think if you make the hook really rusty like the original it would help a lot (especially separating the head and hook). Maybe more of the yellow on his head out through the blade would help a lot, and get rid of the green tip.

And I think the fin is way out of place, either put it at very back of head or just delete. I think it looks unnatural and fights with the hook.

@mattface, looking pretty good but I think the coral by his body is too small, in the far shot it's getting pretty wispy/noisy. I'd say beef them up.
    @Stuburrito,

In game in the portrait view is the little triangle for hero view. Pick that zoom in with mouse button, pan, etc..
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hardened Helm of the Guardian by cowmaster_cowmaster

Image004.jpg
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright everyone, I just submitted my first workshop item. I really appreciate all of the feedback and useful tips. I think I will start a workshop thread for a beastmaster soon. If you like my item please vote for it on Steam
  • Yatra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mattface looking great so far! The only thing that feels sort of "off" to me, is the rounded corners on the front part of the main shoulder piece - it feels maybe a little too un-natural and manmade because of how consistent the corners are? Maybe that's what you were going for, but the all the other parts feel very scavenged and makeshift, so that stands out for me. Maybe something like putting a big crack or sharpening one of the edges like it was broken off would make it feel more natural?

@Baddcog Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful. I agree completely about colors - I probably should have looked more into the coloring on the tidehunter's other weapons. About the fin, I was aiming for it to be half of a crosspiece like on a sword but after looking at it again I'm not sure it really reads that way. I think you're right about it feeling out of place - part of that might be because it's about the same size as the hook, without being part of the same object. I'll get to working on it some more, and post more shots in the next couple days.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Yatra wrote: »
    8nclK.jpg
    [/B]

Next will be on the list, a hammer head :D!!
  • Gh33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hardened Helm of the Guardian by cowmaster_cowmaster

Image004.jpg

Good job Stu, looks great. :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I have a question for you. How do you get those large in-game shots like Reza and Tvidotto have above. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edit: I think I've got it. Figured out how to take my Dota2 models compiled by the workshop publish items and get them into the decompiled Model viewer. Now I just need to figure out how to get a ground in there.

P.S. It's really cool looking at the quality of everyone's published items in there as well.

Cheers!

the way i do is:

i created an autoexec.cfg file in my cfg folder

inside i have
    alias  "ssMode"  "fullui"
    alias  "fullui"  "sv_cheats 1; dota_sf_hud_actionpanel 1; dota_sf_hud_channelbar 1; dota_sf_hud_chat 1; dota_sf_hud_inventory 1; dota_sf_hud_top 1; dota_hud_healthbars 1; dota_no_minimap 0; cl_drawhud 1; dota_render_crop_height 120; dota_render_y_inset 31; alias ssMode noui"
    alias  "noui"    "sv_cheats 1; dota_sf_hud_actionpanel 0; dota_sf_hud_channelbar 0; dota_sf_hud_chat 0; dota_sf_hud_inventory 0; dota_sf_hud_top 0; dota_hud_healthbars 0; dota_no_minimap 1; cl_drawhud 0; dota_render_crop_height 0; dota_render_y_inset 0; alias ssMode fullui"

the i start the game and type on the console bind u ssmode
    everytime you press u it will change your resolution and takes some details away like healthbar

this code is not mine, i just edited parts so, as far as i know the first one to write it was Reaver Xai and Grecko

btw, its a little buggy this code and sometimes it will stop working because it blocks some ingame keys, so if it bug try ssmode on the console again

I hope that helps
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, time to start thinking on the new month theme.

Im planning to change for the next month to sets since it is having more acceptance into dota latelly

i know that it will raise the dificulty but sometimes is a good a new challenge =]

I would like to know what you guys think about it and if there is any suggestion

Cheers!
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    What about holy heroes vs demonic heroes?

I was also thinking, why don't we incorporate the monthly competition into a monthly polycount chest.