Home Unreal Engine

parallax occlusion mapping?!?

aaronkaminer
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
aaronkaminer polycounter lvl 5
Does ANYONE know of a tutorial.. or even documentation that explains how to use real parallax occlusion mapping in ue4?!? I have seen it done.. even with silhouette simulation.. I know there are shaders in the library that use it.. but I cant quite make out what they have done. It looks like a ton of intructions.. Is this really the case? Any help at all is greatly appreciated!! c

Replies

• alfalfasprossen
    yes, i think there are materials using POM in the examples.
    the examples do the uv-offsetting with a fixed number of iterations, mostly 10 i think, so the enormous number of nodes you see are only duplications of the first line, with a different offset value.
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, i think there are materials using POM in the examples.
    the examples do the uv-offsetting with a fixed number of iterations, mostly 10 i think, so the enormous number of nodes you see are only duplications of the first line, with a different offset value.

I see.. so the iterations are for smoothing i assume?
  • alfalfasprossen
    for true POM the iterations would be used to find the intersection between the viewing ray and the textures heightfield.

Looking again at the materials in the example content like M_CobbleStone_Rough it looks more like they are layering the texture 10 times on top of another each time with a little view-offset (BumpOffset Node) and a different mask for that "layer" ( their CutOutGradient).

I didn't dig deeply into those materials, but it doesn't look like POM or ReliefMapping. It is more a 10 layer ParallaxMapping with masks. Never seen that before :D
  • aaronkaminer
    Offline / Send Message
    for true POM the iterations would be used to find the intersection between the viewing ray and the textures heightfield.

Looking again at the materials in the example content like M_CobbleStone_Rough it looks more like they are layering the texture 10 times on top of another each time with a little view-offset (BumpOffset Node) and a different mask for that "layer" ( their CutOutGradient).

I didn't dig deeply into those materials, but it doesn't look like POM or ReliefMapping. It is more a 10 layer ParallaxMapping with masks. Never seen that before :D

Exactly.. Strange. I haven't been able to find a solid explanation of this anywhere on the web. I guess its a waiting game.. until then.. I will take what you have mentioned and try one out for myself. Seems odd.. such a powerful engine.. yet no pom.. hmmmmm...