Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Griffin's Concept Art

Griffin
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Griffin polycounter lvl 6
Hey!

Here's a sample of my work to date, and a link to my portfolio: http://griffinvision.com/
I'll be keeping this post updated with new work as I complete it.

Always interested in hearing your feedback.
*Latest*
coastcove.jpg

slumstacks_01.jpg

coastalcaves_web.jpg?w=960

nativefort_large.jpg?w=960

primaljungle_final.jpg?w=960

softstonefalls.jpg?w=960

doorstep.jpg?w=960

oldtreemountain.jpg?w=960

Replies

• Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Whoa! Amazing work, and these are pretty easy to read so they are super useful to modelers and texture artists. I love it all!
  • Wozner
    Offline / Send Message
    Wozner polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa! Amazing works!
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Loving them!
    Great moods and colors.
    Sense of scale, space and perspective is sometimes lost, though.
    Obviously you are playing with that in some of the pieces, but for example the deer in the second landscape look off even for a tele-shot with very little perspective.
    (The viewer would expect to be somewhere close to the foreground elements on the left, though, not far away and there should be quite some distance between the deer and the house. Could be tiny deer, of course, but then the scale is left pretty ambivalent.)
    The lilac water? in the first mood looks great but kind of hands a problem further down the pipeline.
    They could substitute it with lilac flowers or go with lilac water and sky, too, maybe changing the overall mood.
  • Griffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon: Thanks, definitely something I try to keep in mind. When I do one of these concepts I'm thinking about it as an in-game environment from the very start, so I'm glad it shows through.

Woz: Appreciate the praise!

Noren: Your notes are spot on, perspective is something that I tend to fake the hell out of in these natural environments. Your comment on lens-type has got me thinking as well, I need to pay more attention to those details!
  • zephyri
    Offline / Send Message
    zephyri polycounter lvl 8
    Lovely work, you have a great eye for colour! Just a minor point to add to what norem mentioned - you could also try playing with different camera angles - these are all pretty human eye height - maybe some low down or bird's eye type angles would help throw some 3 point perspective in and add some visual interest. But they are gorgeous environments - I especially love the last one with the mushrooms, that quiet palette with the odd vibrant bits in the mushrooms are just lovely.
  • Bryan Strongoli
    I'd like to live in your brain :O
    Your composition is really great, and the colors! The colors!
    The monochromatic theme in the third image works, but I think it could benefit from more contrasted emphasis. (maybe push that little shrine on the left side more?)

All in all, I'll be moving into the totem house in the woods. I swear.
  • Griffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Just finished another enviro concept. This one a bit more architectural in focus.
    slumstacks_01.jpg
  • gustavotorqueto
    Offline / Send Message
    gustavotorqueto polycounter lvl 5
    Whooaaaooo! Very awesome!

My suggestion is to break the photo aspect that still appear in some of your paintings. Use the photos and paint over it, to keep this painting style that appear in other parts.
    For example: the forest with big mushrooms, the mountains in the background need a little touch to keep this painting like picture =)

Keep the good work =)
  • AlexKola
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    I love the looseness to everything.
  • Stosh
    Offline / Send Message
    Stosh polycounter lvl 4
    These concepts are awesome!

I've been collecting some concept work that I can later on recreate in 3D in a game engine, would you have any problem if I used any of these concepts to create an environment in 3D?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    love the mushrooms, great work.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    amazing work Griffin! really like the mushroom environment and the totempole house
  • Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    These are really great, I really dig your colors!
  • Griffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Gustavotorqueto: Thanks! I agree with your suggestion. I had an instructor tell me once that he didn't like to use any photos in his paintings because once you put them in, it takes so much work to remove the detail that you don't want. So true. I rarely have the patience for it.

AlexKola: It's because I'm lazy :)

Stosh: Go for it, only request, let me know if you end up using anything so I can cheer you on!

ExcessiveZero, coots7, Karmageddon: Thanks for the support, it really helps me get to work.

Might be a bit till the next update, trying to give the tendonitis time to heal... :(
  • Mark Dygert
    I LOVE the latest piece, its very inspirational and extremely well done, all of them are but that latest one is great on so many levels.
  • visoutre
    Offline / Send Message
    visoutre polycounter lvl 6
    woooow killer stuff! I love the sense of scale in your concepts, you do a good job of making the figure feel like an ant in a gigantic world. love the feeling
  • CrazyCowGames
    Blown away.. the colors are astounding. I want some of these for a desktop wallpaper
  • RidellA
    Really beautiful work. I'd love to see how you tackle character work!
  • OFPismySOP
    Offline / Send Message
    OFPismySOP polycounter lvl 6
    The third one down with the PNW totem is excellent. Great use of value to build the fore and backgrounds.
  • Griffin
    Offline / Send Message
    New piece, been quiet for a while but I should be sharing some more stuff soon. Happy new year everyone! here's to a creative and productive 2015.
    coastcove.jpg