Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback on my portfolio website

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Vicker polycounter lvl 7
Just re worked my portfolio website and hoping for some feedback.
Its www.thevicker.com

Replies

• GragGunslinger
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    your work isn't bad, it has a lot of character, but your website is really killing your presentation. Your images take at least 3-4 clicks to get to, everything is small and your images look compressed and have some sharp anti-aliasing.

I'd make it easier to get to your art (3d Art > Environments > All your Environments) or something to that effect, and make the images bigger! I would rather scroll than have to click an arrow button to continue.

Just my 2 cents, keep at it!
  • GragGunslinger
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    Whoops Double Posted.
  • DonCornholio
    Offline / Send Message
    DonCornholio polycounter lvl 9
    I'd recommend making the Navigation a lot simpler, the Picture Resolution Higher and also i'd try to make the portfolio smaller and only leave the high Quality Pieces.
    You should design your website so that it presents your best work in the best way possible.
    Also i favor the idea of offering a download link of your portfolio images with you initials on each, so that its easy to share and identify within a company that you might be applying to.
  • DWalker
    Also, the tiny thumbnails on the 3rd layer are far too small. On modern displays, I'd set 256 as the MINIMUM size for a thumbnail.

The tesselation on the clock seems exceptionally odd. I can't tell why you have vertical edges running across the face. Making the hands out of polygons also seems an odd choice - I suppose this might be a high-poly object, but then the housing seems very low poly in comparison.

Overall, your site seems constrained by the small rectangle in which you have placed everything. This might make sense for a specific tablet, but on a standard PC it just feels crowded. The links page is an extreme example - everything just seems tossed in, with no descriptions or sense of order.

I don't think the news site as currently implemented adds much to the site.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Waaaaaaaaay to many clicks to navigate. I'm serious when I say that I have no idea if your good or bad, cause I gave up before I got the chance to judge.

If I would have been looking for someone to hire you wouldn't have been one of them. And that's sourly because it toke me more then 5 clicks to see anything. Not saying that to diss you or your work.

I promote front page scroll portfolios and will always do.

And btw, with all those categories and stuff you got to the left you make me search for the "3D" tab. Or "2D" for that matter, if that's what you are applying for.

• Home - takes me to your 3D section. -redundant
    • About me - Gives me a short insight to you resume and history. - nothing I want to see before I've seen you art, but still useful.
    • 3D art - Sends me to a splash screen. Then to four other splash screens. Then to a third splash screen. Then to the webs smallest images. Then I need to click three times to get back to the first one. - You are REALLY wasting a recruiter/lead/who-ever-is-gonna-look-at-this time.
    • 2D art - (I'm gonna pressume that you are looking for a 3D job here) This sends me to a splash screen with drawings and sketches, you tell me that you've drawn since "before 2005". If I click a year, it presents SHIT LOADS of more sketches. - If I'm someone that's looking for a vehicle artist, I actually don't give a crap (sorry) about you'r cute cat. Adds nothing. If they would have accompanied a 3D project, like a draft or a concept of what you were doing, THAT'S great.
    • Video Clips - Again, a spalsh screen and a whole bunch of small break downs. - Doesn't tell me which ones are interesting to look at, like the actual short film. Makes it boring and annoying to browse. Doesn't add to the presumable game art position you are looking for.
    • Showreel - Shows me a video, right on. - The best category so far. Presents a video of your work, no hustle, no clicks. I would have put it in the top of my scrolling front page portfolio though :) I guess that the film and commercial industry wants show reels, but the game industry dosn't really? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    • Tutorials - Gives me a splash screen. Click the box and you get a tutorial. - Pretty straight forward but still a lot of unnecessary clicks. Also the screen is way to small to actually see what is going on in the pictures.
    • Contact - Gives me a form to fill you to contact you - Also pretty straight forward, but feels kind of redundant. What happened to email? I would integrate that into "About me"
    • Links - Presents me with with shit loads of links. After some clicks I realize it's mostly just others portfolios. - Why? to show me your competition? Should I be impressed with how awesome your friends are? I think it renders extremely redundant.
    • News - Tells me that you worked with you site. - Redundant in every way. I can go to your blog and read that. From the perspective of a employer this tells me NOTHING.

All of the above draws attention from the actual categories I'm interested in. BAD.
  • Vicker
    Offline / Send Message
    Vicker polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you so much Graggunslinger, DonCornholio, Dwalker and SltrOlsson for taking the time to view and give valued feedback. The site needs a major re design it looks like! I have a good idea how to set it up and should have it created in another week or two then will post back. Should be a lot more streamlined and less kafuffle! Again thank you so much.
  • Vicker
    Offline / Send Message
    Vicker polycounter lvl 7
    A concept of the new site with a lot more streamlined interface. Do you think it looks ok and servers the purpose?

test.jpg
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    It looks like the functionality is fine, but visually its not so well. Choose another font, you are not in Lord of the rings. Get something sans serif if you do not know which serifs convey which mood. Remake your logo, also take care of the spacing. Experiment with colors and that bar you have.

All this sepia tone - celtic font - sunset stuff is doing a really cheesy impression of a "95 webpage for a yoga club.

If you really want to do your page yourself, check out other pages for reference (especially in terms of sizes of objects (images etc) and spacing) and try imitating something more or less. Do a concept, do not just work on it until it takes some kind of shape.
    Else id really recommend portfolio sites like carbonmade or squarespace
  • Vicker
    Offline / Send Message
    Vicker polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Shrike. Thank you for the input. Yes I can see what you mean about the 95 yoga club page! Now its all I see after u said it! Hehe. Ok ill take another bash and post up tomorrow. I prefer creating myself since I then have a lot more control, but may opt for using carbonmade if I have too much difficulty. Love your site!
  • Vicker
    Offline / Send Message
    Vicker polycounter lvl 7
    Another idea. I really like this one!

test2.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Yepp, much better. I'd go easy on the white (as with pure black, it burners and bumps up the contrast).

Did you scrap the scrolling portfolio completely? Unfortunately I'm on my iPad and can't get any examples of what I mean.
  • Vicker
    Offline / Send Message
    Vicker polycounter lvl 7
    Hi sltrOlsson, yes ill tone it down a little. Thank you. I had a look at scrolling folios. I spent a few days going down the list at http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92838 There are many examples of scrolling pages or image rotators, and found image rotators to give the folio upfront without much need to scroll, with the majority of the imagery already on screen. Just seemed to be faster and more intuitive. However having said that I do love scrolling pages also, so may fall back onto that if I find this method to difficult to update. Love your site, some superb works on there.
  • North
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    You should take out that character. Its creepy... and has poor anatomy. Why not show off your best work
  • Vicker
    Offline / Send Message
    Vicker polycounter lvl 7
    I like it though! Sadly its some of my best work :( A caricature used in a animation created for a Masters in animation. Its not really supposed to be anatomically correct. I do anatomically correct work, I do alot of base meshes of different body types to hone my skills, but as my characters go its one of a set that goes together. Here’s another 2 :) and also a bit of anatomy after :)

audrey_6.jpg

ian_6.jpg

17a.jpg

18a.jpg
  • Vicker
    Offline / Send Message
    Vicker polycounter lvl 7
    The new site is up at www.thevicker.com I feel its allot better and addressed the issues raised. Thank you
  • ZASkaggs
    The new design is very easy to navigate. I like it.
  • DireWolf
    That was quick. Very impressive.
  • Vicker
    Offline / Send Message
    Vicker polycounter lvl 7