Home Technical Talk

weird Max UV problem

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Archanex polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to ask this..

I"m working on a short film with a few other guys. After the modeling was done, we split the pipeline and had one guy work on the rig, and another guy work on UVs

now the problem is that for some reason the UVs won't transfer dispite having the same vertex count and vertex numbers. It appears the only thing different between the two models is their POLYGON numbers.

when I try to transfer the UVs, it appears to work at first, but if you look closer you'll see that it looks like someone has taken a pair of scissors to perfectly good UVs

I've attatched a closeup screen shot so you can see what I'm talking about. Can anyone offer any help? Thanks

uv_screenshot.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    I'm guessing the model was exported and worked on in another program before being brought back into max? If so, what app? You might have some other export options that don't screw with the vert tables. Avoid OBJ if you can, the 3dsmax obj in/out plugin is notorious for rewriting vert tables any way it sees fit. I suggest use the guruware OBJ export/importer. http://www.guruware.at/main/objio/index.html
    It has some presets for some common programs and you might have a better chance at reading/writing the vert table correctly.

You can also try the script morphix it reorders the vert tables to match any two objects with the exact same vert count.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/morphix.

If that doesn't work, instead of applying the UV's to the rigged character, can you save your skin weights and apply them to the unwrapped model?
  • Archanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the advice Vig, I had actually already tried morphix to no avail, but for some reason I didn't think to try loading the skin weights on the textured version of the model. Thanks again =)