Home General Discussion

Supreme Commander demo

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
Anyone given this a go yet? I'm loving it. The scale is so gargantuan it's not even funny. The demo does have it's issues for me, though.

- UI is ginormous! (about 45% of the screen). Supposedly you can collapse/customize it, but I can't find options to do that in the demo

- Performance in the demo's campaign mode is HIDEOUS! In the skirmish mode, I get 50-60fps w/max settings no prob (even with 100+ units on scree), but it crawls to a paltry 15-20fps in campaign.

- No camera tilt FTL. I want to be able to tilt the camera a little. Being nearly straight-down is too old school, and hampers the way I play. I suppose I'm spoiled by the newer RTS games

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Downloaded and installed last night, but I didn't get a chance to play it yet - will post my thoughts soon!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    ooooh its out? I know what im doing after work...
  • noritsune
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    ooooh its out? I know what im doing after work...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    I've installed it into Vista Ultimate, btw. Just for performance comparison.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    you actually can tilt the camera, though I'm not sure what the keys are for it... I think it was alt+mouse3 when I was in the beta... but you definitely can move the camera

as for the slowdown, it might be something about your machine, campaign runs fine for me
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    doh frown.gif
    Perhaps the demo wasn't 100% compatible with Vista, or Nvidia's drivers are no good yet.

My rig in general should eat it up, though.

- Core2Duo E6600
    - 2GB Corsair DDR2 6400c (800mhz)
    - GeForce 7950GX2
    - 2x 250GB hdd Raid 0
    - Windows Vista Ultimate

Maybe I'll try installing it in my XP partition, and see how the performance is in that.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Ran slow for me too, and I don't have Vista. Might indeed be some Nvidia thing, because Company of Heroes runs awesome at it's full best on my comp, and SC doesn't even at the lowest graphics settings.

As for the game itself, I just don't get the appeal. My units kept dying in two seconds and I found myself simply sending wave after wave. Probably doing it horribly wrong, but I just don't get it : (
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    It ran fairly smoothly on my machine, but it couldn't handle dual monitors (would drop down to under 5fps). It definitely reminds me of TA, but I think it would have been better if they changed a few aspects - like building in squads instead of single units at a time.
    Pretty fun demo, and lengthy (first mission took me an hour to beat - and there's a second!)
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ok tested it out on my laptop first and will later tonight on the desktop.

Laptop Specs: Dell XPS M1710 Core 2 Duo 7200, 2 gigs ram, 7950 GTX 512mb, 5400rpm hd (this will be what will slow me down the most)

-First thoughts. Video in the beginning telling the story was amazing.
    -Game ran smooth on campaign and skirmish.
    -Will definetly pick this up when it ships or find it on a newsgroup hehe (hey i've got tons of school loans to pay

As for changing views it was the space bar. Hold it and just move the mouse. Middle mouse moved in and out.

Awesome stuff and I like it. I still play Company of Heroes. Now only if there was a way microsoft could setup gamertags and achievments for pc games as well that are designed for windows. Man now that would be great huh?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse, they are man smile.gif
    But it's going to be in Windows Vista only of course. They're going to have gamerscore and achievements, just like on 360 smile.gif
  • bounchfx
    I played the first campaign level, I still dont understand a lot of it, but it was fun.

my computer ran it like ASS. Ran slow but didnt really "chug", everything didnt look very good it was turned down.

3.2 ghz HT processor, 1 gig ram, and radeon 9800xt.

but yeah, it was fun, but nothing like the screenshots or vids ive seen. gonna need a better rig.

still seemed great, except for a freaking glitch where all my Land and Air factories sent all my freaking units offscreen automatically, and I couldn't figure out how to set a waypoint for built units, so I'd have to catch them after they were built and tell them where to go. After 15 min I found like 60 air units off screen. oy.

but uh. yeah, back to lost.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    - Game speed can be changed with the + and - keys on the num pad
    - You can select all air units by hitting ctrl + a or something.

to find out what the key bindings are i pushed either f11 or f12

As for having the achievments and stuff on pc games thats awesome. I thought i heard they wanted to do that but wasn't sure if they would. I already have a copy of vista on its way from when i bought my laptop.

and oh yeah i was playing in 1900x1200 and it ran great. If anyone knows the screen cap button let me know.
  • bounchfx
    achievements? I missed this, but thats awesome, I'd love to link my gamertag and get achievements for pc games.

I'll have to try the gamespeed thing, I can't believe their tutorial was on a web page instead of in game, and it wasn't even online yet! stupid tutorial. I'll have to try pressing F11 or 12 for binds.

For selecting all units I just double click:)
  • Ozymandias
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    This demo is friggin awesome so far. The only problem I encountered was once in a skirmish game I couldn't target the enemy units, but thats the only bad thing so far.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a LOT of bonus goodies in the game as well. A few:

- Build mass storage tanks onto the sides of extractors. This increases their mass output
    - Same goes with power generators. Build energy storage tanks onto them
    - Building generators next to artillery guns will increase their ROF and accuracy
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Ran pretty bad on my comp.

A64 at 2.4ghz
    6600gt
    1gb of RAM

I like the way the game is designed, but the UI is fackin huge and it took me forever just to get anything done. I dunno, I'll check it out more later tonight.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Demos always run pretty bad when I try them. Far worse than their retail versions, anyways.

The UI can be changed a little bit though. Press alt+arrow up.

Also, the retail game will be 100% customizeable through LUA scripting, I believe. So you can make whatever interface you want smile.gif
  • Slipstream
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    It was a little touch and go for a little while with me, but now that I've found out how to group stuff, change the camera, and understand the unit capabilities a lot more, its a pretty decent game.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Um, that was the worst game I think I've ever played. It was so 1998 it hurt. Horrible UI, bright neon green everything, and was that system font? The graphics were technically next gen, but the colors and contract worked horribly. How did they not have room for an overview map with all that real estate given over to the ginormous UI? Oh, and it wasn't fun in the slightest. Even the "buy this game!" screens when I tried to exit the game looked like crappy shareware ads from the late 90s.

Couldn't uninstall fast enough.

poop.gif
  • Vermeulen
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    I am a huge TA fan and that was really disappointing

They completely focused on the wrong things. Why does the ability to tilt help the gameplay? Or to zoom in so far you can only see like 4 tanks?
    Or having a thousand different units on 3 teams? One of the things I loved about TA was it wasn't C&C, where every unit can't just be used as some stupid trick to get into the guys base. TA was originally about resources, land, and strategy of attack and defense, not just knowing which weird unit to build. I really wish companys like this would stop focusing on how many art assets they can complete and rather try small games with different gameplay, at least then it would be more likely for them to release something good.
  • FightingChance
    Offline / Send Message
    FightingChance polycounter lvl 17
    I'm disappointed that it seems to be a 100% remake of TA.

I miss the building animation of the wireframe being built up and then turned into the unit.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Bah! to you all! smile.gif

I'm loving it.
  • Vermeulen
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm disappointed that it seems to be a 100% remake of TA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I would have preferred if it was an entirely different game. It just seems to be a bad remake so far