Home General Discussion

Disney to aquire Marvel Entertainment

Replies

• Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Just about to post this.

I guess we can now look forward to a bunch of Disney Channel marvel bullshit. hooray!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    phew, people kept spreading rumors that Disney wanted to buy EA
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    This is probably good for Disney, and slightly bad for Marvel and fans of Marvel, since Marvel is likely to get watered down a bit (not that Marvel was exactly cutting edge these days, but still).
  • Mark Dygert
    phew, people kept spreading rumors that Disney wanted to buy EA
    Probably after its done digesting Marvel Ent... =P

I think Disney might be trying to expand its older extreme market. They've had Spiderman running on their sister channel DisneyXD for a while now.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Mickey Mouse vs The Hulk
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Super Marvel vs. Disney II: Championship Edition
  • Murdoc
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I worked for them for a few years and whenever they try to expand into an older market(even if this is just teens, though some of those comics are pretty hardcore every now and then) their rigid and ancient company policies really muck things up.

I know it's a sterotype that their super mickey mouse when it comes to things, but it's kind of true; I really hope they dont' apply the disney brand and company tactics to the comics or movies, or things are about to tame down quite a bit.
  • vargatom
    Guys, remember, this Disney has John Lasseter and so...
  • Mark Dygert
    Hopefully they have something specific and strategic planned. I'm all for Disney starting to cater content to a slightly more grown up audience, but I'm not sure they can do it with the Disney name behind it? Maybe that's what this is all about?
  • Murdoc
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Vig wrote: »
    Hopefully they have something specific and strategic planned.

For 4 billion dollers they probably do, if not, its time to sell the disney stock.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Black Rock Studios are owned by Disney and they release decent racers.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Teens probably is a bit of an understatement for some of Marvels books. Im not talking FFN, Im talking adult situations.

This is very bad IMO... I can see it becoming like DC in the 50s and 60s. Remember the Batman show? Modern Spiderman version?

At least Warner buy of DC in 69 helped DC breakout of that. But see, Warner had no "family friendly" underlying mantra. Here, we have the opposite.

Oh god, the Universal Rides of Marvel Heroes.. Going to move to Disneyland? Are we going to have a "Marvel Town" in Disneyworld? :P

To be honest who cares if Lasseter is working there now. He doesn't write or draw comics.
  • Mark Dygert
    I'm not sure what they have planned so its hard to gauge if this is good or bad. But I will say this, I really hoped to see more original ideas come out of Disney when Lasseter moved over.

Given Pixars track record for doing something different and making it a huge success, this seems like they're playing hungry hungry hippos with popular IP that "could" make them some money, but it could very well turn into an albatross. I'll have to wait and see where they take it.

I'm pulling for Disney, it would be awesome if I could remember them for much more than just childhood awesomeness. But they're a bit like a schizophrenic ex-girlfriend that cheats, kind of hard to trust them blindly. Even with a new personality behind the wheel.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    Kingdom Hearts with Marvel characters will make even more sense.

Marvel characters with belts and zippers won't.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Warner Bros owns DC.

Disney owns Marvel.

One should not expect Disney to make any changes to Marvel. They bought Marvel because it's been making money. Why would they want to fuck that up?
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    they're buying in at the top... seems dumb. Marvel is doing incredibly well, but is it going to do better? Unlikely.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    No Country for Old Men came out of Miramax, a Disney owned company.
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    Disney is a good example of a company that didn't grow up with their audience. I've always felt that they didn't offer any more 'grown up' type of entertainment until it was almost too late, I mean it's sort of weird for a 40 year old to watch mickey mouse, but it's not so weird for them to watch xmen.

I think this is a good move for disney in terms of financial side, they diversify to become stronger.

Marvel if left alone can probably do fine under disney as a subsiduary, but if we start seeing watering down.. or as I like to quote Mr Carlin on this, if we witness 'the pussification' of marvel, then we'll know that disney is just meddling too much.

They need to start serving up something a little new and recover from the creative stagnation that resulted in too many musical 2d movies and adhering too closely to thier bible of filmmaking. PIXAR is really the only bright spot, but this whole 'let's leave 2d behind' is bullshit. sorry, getting off on a bit of a rant.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    they're buying in at the top... seems dumb. Marvel is doing incredibly well, but is it going to do better? Unlikely.

Right, because Iron Man 2 won't do shit.
  • Mark Dygert
    sir-knight wrote: »
    PIXAR is really the only bright spot, but this whole 'let's leave 2d behind' is bullshit. sorry, getting off on a bit of a rant.
    Well one of Lasseters goals when opening up the new studio in Vancouver, was to work on shorts of all kinds. 2D, 3D or a mix of both. Pixar isn't hostile to 2D it just does 3D really really well.

I think he might be looking to rekindle some of the Disney 2D magic. They've put out a few 2D movies recently and the animation has been great, the stories not so much. I'm glad they're still working on 2D movies (Princess and the Frog) and shorts, even if their content isn't exactly to my tastes.
  • TheMadArtist
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I doubt it will change much besides having more marketing power behind them. Keep in mind that Disney also owns ABC, which has shows like Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc. It's kinda silly to think that in a month or two we're going to see a more family oriented, moral-happy version of Wolverine or the Punisher.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    Right, because Iron Man 2 won't do shit.

No, I'm sure marvel movies will continue to make money. They're consistently doing very well. That's why I said they're at the top. Unless you're saying that Iron Man 2 and other future movies are going to do significantly BETTER than previous marvel properties like spiderman?
  • skankerzero
    sir-knight wrote: »
    PIXAR is really the only bright spot, but this whole 'let's leave 2d behind' is bullshit. sorry, getting off on a bit of a rant.

Lasseter and Co re-opened the 2d department at Disney...
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    Unless you're saying that Iron Man 2 and other future movies are going to do significantly BETTER than previous marvel properties like spiderman?

Yes, I am. Iron Man 2 is gonna tear shit up. Don't forget that Iron Man came out at about the same time as Batman 2, and STILL did great dispite the fact that most people outside of comic fans aren't even aware of Iron Man.

They've got Kick Ass coming out soon; which was written by the dude that wrote Wanted (Mark 'I lick goats' Millar) and has Nick Cage in it.

Disney didn't buy them for $4B because they thought they were going down.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    It's funny whenever one company buys another one and everyone goes OMG they are going to mix A + B, it never happens.

Also, I watched a docu about Pixar and they talked about how much of a dagger in the heart it was when the media started saying "Pixar killed 2D!", it was the last thing they ever intended to do.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Lasseter and Co re-opened the 2d department at Disney...
    Indeed. It was one of the things he demanded before he'd move into the top position.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Coming soon from disney and buena vista home video.

BeautyAndBeast.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Lasseter made the Incredibles. One of the best Super Hero Action movies ever made.

Marvel is in good hands.
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Vailias, lol from this.
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Disney owns ESPN.