Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character- Punk Chic

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Joe March polycounter lvl 11
So, I started a character a while back, and with a lot of urging from great artists, I decided to post some of the progress that I have already done. This project originally was supposed to be for last years comic con challenge but I didn't get to develop it on time, so without further ado!

The character's name is Jessie and she's part of a battle arena world of sorts. She herself represents a gang called the Hellions which they just kinda kill folks or whatever. (That's the basic idea atleast) Currently, I'm putting in some of the larger forms and masses, before focusing on the smaller accessories and details.

The model's face is based on the Actress Nina Dobrev (Vampire Diaries) I wasn't however going for an exact likeness, more of the general proportions of her face so it would free me up a bit for some creative expression. Finally, I'm sticking with a fairly archetypal "Punk" on the outset before developing further accessories and different feels for this character to stand out a bit more.

My goal is to have this as a real time and a v-ray render. Thanks!

CsQZBJU.jpg
JsFmPBA.jpg

Replies

• erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting backstory, the sculpt looks cool so far. Maybe give her a different hairstyle? There seems to be so many one-sided/half shaved 'dos on female characters lately. Not that it's not a cool hairdo, but considering she's a punk, there could be other possibilities. Just a thought.
  • Tits
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Bout Damn Time there was a thread.
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome! Nice to finally see some more personal work from you man! Let's see where this goes :)
  • Joe March
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm happy with the facial feature for now, at this moment I wanted to experiment with hair colors and shapes, More will be coming.

UQ9G04L.jpg
    iv94Ef7.jpg

And some progress on the jacket

mB0kgRf.jpg
  • Joe March
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting things dialed in a bit more.

zwyKua3.jpg
    n9C05r8.jpg
  • Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    I am seriously liking the studs on the jacket.
  • Chris Kuhner
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Kuhner polycounter lvl 6
    She's turning out so damn well dude. Fantastic face sculpt. Can't wait to see it finished. :D
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    looking good so far! I'd check the proportions on the arms. It looks like you made some adjustments their since the first post, but still needs work imo. I think the hands look overly large, like long fingers or something, and the shapes are too extreme in general. Like I'd thicken up the wrist some, the elbow area and possibly dial down the forearms.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man nice update, she's looking good! The jacket's looking dope :D I've got a few suggestions you could consider.

The face is not being framed as nicely as it was before. The eyebrows and hair complimented her face SO well in the previous iteration, but now you've lost that. You could push around the hair to how you had it before, which would break up the spherical shape it is currently reading as, and rebuild the eyebrows somewhat to frame her eyes better.

What is your plan with the hair, is it going to be high res or game ready? If it's game ready I'd suggest using wider strips of hair, which tends to look a lot nicer than thin strips of hair when you've textured and alpha'd it. If you're going for high-res hair I'd suggest sculpting it. Although if you're using fibermesh and planning to render it in ZBrush you can get some nice realistic results that way.

If you decide to reshape the eyebrows I'd also suggest looking at how eyebrow hairs grow. Eyebrow hair will vary in density, direction, and length quite a bit depending on its position on the eyebrow. This image shows that quite well:
    http://pad1.whstatic.com/images/thumb/8/88/Keep-Eyebrow-Hair-From-Falling-Out-Step-2.jpg/670px-Keep-Eyebrow-Hair-From-Falling-Out-Step-2.jpg

This last suggestion is perhaps more of a personal choice, but I think you should avoid using the strong blue lighting and blue colour in her hair and clothing, atleast for the WIP shots. Maybe stick to a more neutral choice, like a typical studio lighting setup. Strong blue lighting & colour can look really cool sometimes, but I don't think this setup is presenting your character well. Eugene Fokin does an excellent job at presenting WIP shots, you could check out his WIPs for ideas:
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/eof

I've mentioned a lot of crit but don't take any of this as negative, these are all ideas to make a great piece even better. You've done a really awesome job so far, your hard work is paying off :)