Home Dota 2

Workshop Contributors attending The International 2014

Wyk
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wyk polycounter lvl 7
Official Announcement

---

Valve is looking for Dota 2 Workshop contributors who are attending the Dota 2 International Championship!

If you are a Dota 2 Workshop contributor attending the International at Key Arena on July 18-21st, and you have shipped items in Dota 2, we would like to offer you a custom Workshop contributor badge to wear at the event.

The Workshop contributor badge will have a piece of custom artwork, your name, and your alias. Please contact us at ti-contributors@valvesoftware.com so we may gather more details from you, and provide you with a template for the badge artwork. This Workshop contributor badge offer is in addition to the current ticket you have purchased, and does not replace it. The deadline to get artwork to us is Monday June 9th, 2014.

We are looking forward to seeing you at the International!

---

Just leaving this here too.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Thanks, Wyk! Stickied in the meantime so everyone will see :)
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Threw it in the TI4 Thread as well! Neato Burrito!
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Wyk, looks like I have to work harder then to be noticed as an actual workshop contributor.
    > Game is hard.
  • bounchfx
    Awesome! Looks like there are two tiers of workshop artists again. Grats to the favored ones!

edit: just going to rehash this here -
    "I’m a Workshop Contributor, will there be a place for me at the International?

This year we’ll be setting aside a larger space for Contributors to meet fans, work together, and show off their creations. If you’re interested in participating, we’ll have a signup space for you soon. In the meantime, make sure you purchase your ticket when they go on sale on Friday."

is now

"The badge doesn’t give you additional access beyond the ticket you purchased. If you want to share your work with others I would bring your own laptop as the ones at the event are reserved for the invited contributors."

Valve has learned nothing.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    What the fuck just happened? Two hours ago I was ecstatic for TI4, but for the last hour I've been staring at my screen in absolute disbelief.

What?
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    hey workshoppers, so I was hoping there would be tables/chairs/internet for others contributors like myself that wanna just chill and make art for 4 days while TI4 goes on but it doesn't sound like valve will have anything like that setup. Soooooo bring your pc if you want to show off your art to people but maybe leave the wacom at home.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    I was 2 clicks away from buying my flight ticket....i'm serious!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Does this include the genuine item or access to the special VIP section that I hear other invitees have access to?
  • Primrose~
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ triangle
    Does this include the genuine item or access to the special VIP section that I hear other invitees have access to?

Nope. No entry to the building early, no workshop area ( which is understandable because there's only so many computers. Not much to fight about there ), no workshop lounge access, no meeting the players, etc. We still have the ticket we bought to the event and that's it as it seems.

We do get a fancy workshop badge with our name/alias and a set we did though. Purely cosmetic. How ironic.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    We do get a fancy workshop badge with our name/alias and a set we did though. Purely cosmetic. How ironic.

Why did you say that?! Now it went from 'what!?' to cruel and unusual punishment in my head...
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    steerage.jpg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFU9PUoPCy8"]Titanic clip: Dance - YouTube[/ame]
    tumblr_lxzieggtba1qdcgp6o1_500_large.gif

See you there folks'!
  • PoPcorn
    I've been aware that Valve decided to do the Special artist thing again for a while now. I'm super surprised they even bothered throwing everyone else a bone.

Would have been nice for them to let people know that they had changed their minds on how the Workshop was going to work. They've known for a while now.

But you know, Valve doesn't give a shit about their relationship with us.
  • bounchfx
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    I've been aware that Valve decided to do the Special artist thing again for a while now. I'm super surprised they even bothered throwing everyone else a bone.

Would have been nice for them to let people know that they had changed their minds on how the Workshop was going to work. They've known for a while now.

But you know, Valve doesn't give a shit about their relationship with us.

It's beautiful right? They say they're going to be better, fix 'workshop equality', that they know about special treatment and are trying to fix it.

then they pull this..? It just feels like they aren't giving it any thought whatsoever. It's going to be beautiful.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Primrose~ wrote: »
    fancy workshop badge with our name/alias and a set we did though.

Welp, maybe just your name, or just your alias(most likely just your name and "Workshop Contributor"). I was talking to Valve earlier and it seems they are still figuring this out as well.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed, I can't wait!
  • bounchfx
    I just want to know why they are treating one group of contributors different from the rest of us? Don't they know what happened last year?

Even being an equal contributor, if you didn't have a special pass, you couldn't meet any of the players, you couldn't sign autographs, you were basically nonexistent. I didn't even have my name on a print of a set that I had worked on.

The issue here is that a small group of contributors get special access to tools and people that are incredibly valuable while the doors are shut on the rest of us.

Valve should be inclusive, not exclusive, especially for the group of people that help sustain their business model. I just don't understand their line of thinking and to be quite honest it's a bit insulting.
  • PoPcorn
    I feel bad for people who were tricked by valve into buying a ticket and expensive flights for an event that is now different than originally advertised.

Like Bounce is saying. Last year the featured artists got to meet players and stuff. That led to a bunch of them getting deals to do special sets and promotional items. It's real big bonus that Valve is only giving to a select few.

I wonder what the selection process was?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    PoPcorn wrote: »
    Like Bounce is saying. Last year the featured artists got to meet players and stuff. That led to a bunch of them getting deals to do special sets and promotional items. It's real big bonus that Valve is only giving to a select few.

Lets not forget the special geniune items they get this year, sold at the event, that's pretty much free money for them.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    It's less about this

I wonder what the selection process was?

and more about this
    I feel bad for people who were tricked by valve into buying a ticket and expensive flights for an event that is now different than originally advertised.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    They just don't know what it's like to be in our position...

They're just a bunch of people trying to do a dozen things to make the game and the events and the workshop. They don't necessarily consider the effects any small thing they do has on us and it's hard for them to understand our position.

The people who handled workshop stuff last year might be completely different from the people who are handling it now. They might have just asked the other guys what they did last year and if it worked and got a simple reply. Who knows.

I don't think they're out to intentionally favor certain people or intentionally exclude others. For all we know they could have done a lottery style drawing to select which people got invited. I'm sure they have good reasons for why they've set it up this way. If there's going to be like 30 contributors going, that's a lot to accommodate.

I'm actually pretty dulled to any of this though. I wasn't even expecting to get a custom badge, getting that has increased my excitement, which was pretty low. The only aspect of VIP stuff I am disappointed to miss out on is the after-party, but if like 98% of us are just standard dudes, we can have our own party and fun times. Slum it together.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry, boredom got the best of me.

I will be taking orders for these...
  • bounchfx
    Frump wrote: »
    They just don't know what it's like to be in our position...

They're just a bunch of people trying to do a dozen things to make the game and the events and the workshop. They don't necessarily consider the effects any small thing they do has on us and it's hard for them to understand our position.

The people who handled workshop stuff last year might be completely different from the people who are handling it now. They might have just asked the other guys what they did last year and if it worked and got a simple reply. Who knows.

I don't think they're out to intentionally favor certain people or intentionally exclude others. For all we know they could have done a lottery style drawing to select which people got invited. I'm sure they have good reasons for why they've set it up this way. If there's going to be like 30 contributors going, that's a lot to accommodate.

I agree with a lot of this Frump, you are very level headed and I think a lot of this may very well be true.

however, I feel like they should take this more seriously and consider its effects as serious as many of us take our time to create and submit these things. Especially announcing this stuff today, then when trying to ask how the invites work/go, be told that it's already too late to do anything about it.

"They don't necessarily consider the effects any small thing they do has on us and it's hard for them to understand our position."

If they actually communicated with us, they could get a much better idea of our point of view how we feel about stuff like this. I don't know. I'm still going. I would just be lying if said I wasn't supremely let down at how they're handling it. It's not any different from last year, and in some ways, worse.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    I am going to comment on this but I don't want to come off sounding whiny or unhappy with my relationship with Valve so far.

But I feel like they really need to make a stronger effort to be inclusive to workshoppers who actually help provide items for them to generate revenue from. It takes time and effort to create this stuff (I work full time in the game industry and have a family - as do many others here).
    The international will be going on over many days - there is plenty of time to have those who want to contribute, be able to (it's not like there thousands of workshop artists going to this, that I know of).

Going to Ti4 and meeting Valve employees, and players, fans and other workshop artists etc. is a major aspect of helping to promote our items/alias/brand what-have-you.
    This is a benefit to Valve just as much as to ourselves (75/25 benefit :)). Not being able to meet and greet players we may have made sets and items for? Why not? Why the artificial barrier between those who were invited and those who were not?

The fact is, Valve stated that there would be an area for contributors - and a sign up area/site/sheet etc. Now there is not, unless you were invited (from what I can gather). This change was only communicated recently and being part of the contributor space was a MAJOR factor in my deciding to go.

If there is no chance to be a part of that officially, then I just spent two thousand dollars for the privilege of using vacation time at work, leaving my family for a week, watching the teams play the game and other contributors ... uh, contribute.
    I could have done that from home - and I have to say that I'm pissed that I was duped by this part of it. I can honestly say that if I had known that invitee's were the only ones who would be allowed to take advantage of all that Ti4 could offer a workshop artist, I would not be going.

I am appreciative of the items that I've had accepted already, don't get me wrong. And I have a lot more on the way. Just.... giff equality Volvo!

My 2 cents... for what it's worth these days anyway. :P
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys,

I've been emailing about the situation this afternoon trying to figure out what the situation is. The information I received was to the contrary of a lot of what has been said in this thread so I wanted to get a clear picture of what is happening.

Initially I was told that badge holders would receive access to the Player's Lounge and the Workshop Suite which is apparently similar to a box that overlooks Key Arena. Non-invited workshop contributors would have to bring their own equipment if they wanted to show anything or work on anything. The extent of the facilities for this part was not quite clear.

Just now I have received an email stating;
    Sounds like we’re actually going to roll all the contributors into the showcase stations.

I’m going to be sending an email detailing everything out with any contributors who’ve contacted me for a badge.

This makes it more enjoyable for all contributors and you get to take advantage of the space too.

This email will probably go out after I have a final list on Monday.

So all hope is not lost. I am still pretty disappointed that this happened different than was advertised. Like Prophet9 had I known that that potentially the situation could of been just regular access with a fancy badge I wouldn't have taken time off work and paid for both myself and my partner to come to Seattle. She's not really into watching professional Dota 2 but wanted to support the Workshop art and artists. If the situation had been as detailed above it would of been a large amount of extra costs that I am sure she wouldn't of enjoyed haha.

I don't know much about the genuine items but I don't understand why a similar approach to the New Bloom festival wasn't taken for this. The announcement to Workshop artists with a relatively short deadline produced, in my opinion, some of the best themed artwork Dota 2 has seen to date. If they had done a similar call out to artists for items for the International I am sure they would of had an equally great response.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Watching closely - thanks for that info Hopgood.

Cheers!
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Things changing on a dime and being disorganized when working on such a huge thing happens. One of the major reasons Valve gave in the past for why they don't communicate frequently is because their plans change so often that they don't want to say things early and create expectations... Which is kind of exactly what happened. Really they should always just say at the end "we have this plan, but none of it is definitive."

Communicating back and forth is a lot of work and a lot to manage and the people on the Dota team probably don't consider that they have the skills to do such hands on community management(I wouldn't); plus they have other jobs to do. It would be great if we had just one person to be the go-to Workshop Community person and handling that stuff was a big part of their job. That would probably solve a lot of problems.
  • PoPcorn
    I feel they can make the effort for the people generating their revenue.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be waiting for updates (or their email) before i eventually buy my flight ticket at this point
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure you still mail them for the Workshop Contributer Badge in any case.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    i already had done it, 10 minutes after the announcement :)
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    Man, I'm depressed as shit, I meant to send in my artwork on Sunday but forgot, and apparently the deadline wasn't Monday like it said on the site, but Monday at 10am, and I sent it in too late. I am really upset right now; won't even get a badge.

Does anyone know if there's a way I could print out the badge myself somehow/somewhere? Can someone show me what their badges from last year looked like?

Hopefully it doesn't matter if I have one or not... still upset though. I had the damn email sitting in draft for 2 days just didn't hit send :(
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Man, I'm depressed as shit, I meant to send in my artwork on Sunday but forgot, and apparently the deadline wasn't Monday like it said on the site, but Monday at 10am, and I sent it in too late. I am really upset right now; won't even get a badge.

Does anyone know if there's a way I could print out the badge myself somehow/somewhere? Can someone show me what their badges from last year looked like?

Hopefully it doesn't matter if I have one or not... still upset though. I had the damn email sitting in draft for 2 days just didn't hit send :(

i think that is not a big problem, they will not let you out because of that.
    and in the worst case you probably can get a vip badge at the event

They are not that evil

Dont believe on all the hate people are spreading =]
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm sure it won't prevent me from doing anything, just bummed that I've never forgotten to send an email like that before, ever, and it had to be this time that I forgot hah. I spent a bit of extra time on the artwork too.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I'm sure it won't prevent me from doing anything, just bummed that I've never forgotten to send an email like that before, ever, and it had to be this time that I forgot hah. I spent a bit of extra time on the artwork too.

i totally understand you by feeling bad for things like that =]

but i trully believe that will not be a problem

Btw, i found an image of last year badge as you requested
    2.jpeg
  • mrpresident
    Offline / Send Message
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Any updates on this? Since we were to get word on Monday but I haven't received any emails.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    The email I received said "after I receive the final list on Monday", so it could be so e time this week.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    I read that as "updates coming this monday", that's why I asked ^^ but the alternative seems more likely.
  • Redsett
    Offline / Send Message
    Redsett polycounter lvl 4
    I don't make items but I'm super happy to see they are doing this for you guys! Go Valve
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    I read that as "updates coming this monday", that's why I asked ^^ but the alternative seems more likely.

I would say so. It seems lots of caster invites are coming out today so i'd imagine Workshop Contributor information will come after that.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    yeah, was just watching Pflax, he got invite last night i guess. Good for him! Wish i could afford a flight this year. ill be following the shit out of stuff online though.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I got an email confirming my badge and asking for signups to various stations at the event. So check your inboxes!
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo! I'm signing up for them all. This is going to be very exciting!
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, I haven't received anything yet. I'll keep checking later tonight.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, i did ask to sign up for every station too...hopefully after the confirmation i'll buy my flight ticket