Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Mining Lantern

copyright
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
copyright polycounter lvl 7
Haven't posted here in a while figured I'd post what I'm currently working on.

Making an old mining candle lantern for Ue4. Will be baked & textured as well

Have the HP done so far:

2014-12-22_0506.png

reference:

Shutter-Blue-Miners-Lantern-Garden-Trading-Lifestyle.jpg?quality=95&scale=both&width=1000&height=1000

Replies

• noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    Hello. High poly looks pretty much there.

That candle inside is just a "tea light" They use them in tons of spas and such which makes me think this is more of an imitation prop. I suppose in real miner lamps they'd have some sort of oil burner for the flame inside. Correct me if im wrong. Anyways, if you want to continue with the one u have the little candle has a metal rim outer. the candle wax sits inside. like this
    cbwctl.jpg
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice catch noscope, will be sure to include it :)

I'm sitting at 1200 tris for the LP. Is that okay for Ue4?
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished, 1200 triangles

lantern.jpg

In retrospect I could have used more triangles for the very bottom part and less triangles on the wires and candle stick.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump for critiques please.

A little self critique:

Bottom should have had more triangles, the grunge could have been more sharper and more confident looking. Some of the smaller cylinders could have used less triangles.

Wires:

lantern%20wires.png
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    I took the liberty of doing a quick paintover showing the key areas your silhouette is lacking.
    ecngPNx.jpg

Basically depending on where this would be seen now close you could get to it you should adjust your polycount based that. I assume this would sit in a table or hang from a hook BUT as this is a presentation piece low poly edges are going to stand out A LOT.

I'd recommend you add a few more edges to keep everything smooth and consistent. the texture looks good for the most part but the inconsistent mesh density ruins it for me. This could easily sit around 2k tris if it were to go in-game and even more if it as an Interactive item. LOD's and culling would be used so you can afford to go a bit higher. This is the year of Next gen at any rate go crazy! but not to crazy...
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks!