Home Dota 2

Motenai - Dota 2 Workshop

Replies

• Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    I really like the way that open helm gives him a new characteristic. or makes him a new character. or makes him a unique one! I don't know how to put it :D it reveals who he is!
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    It was a bit of a blood bath but in the end i got everything baked!

w6Vgzq0.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Daaaaaamn. Those are some sexy bakes! Is this just the normals + occlusion? Also, I'd love to see some wires.
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, amazing bakes. I think I would have cried while retopoing that.
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Looks fantastic as always!

There looks like there is a small amount of mesh intersection on the knee area.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, that is a clean bake. Very impressive mate.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    That is one huge feather. I like it.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Any pointers to how you get such good bakes?
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Haha bakes... right... I see what you did there! You posted hipoly instead ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Seriously now. Those are super impressive!!
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I honestly first thought that those were shots of the hipoly and I got confused about all the compliments for the bakes, then I realised that those were the bakes and my mind got blown. You did it again Motenai!
  • ChiZ
    Awesome work. It really does look like the high poly again, and how did you do those magnificent feather bakes?!
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the nice support you always show me ;)

For baking i guess i can repropose these tips that i wrote few years ago while i was doing a Protoss Zealot fan art. Beside this there isn't really much i can add, it's all a matter of getting used to do bakes, learn from mistakes, and stuff like that.

Here it is:

"As requested from Artquest (but i hope it will be usefull to many other people) i decided to do a mini tutorial (better to call it "a bunch of tips") to explain my baking workflow.
    There isn't really anything more than the things that someone who bake low poly models should already know.
    Anyway, let's get started.

img_1.jpg

Image A:

Here i show in general how is the main retopo and bake process.
    I usually import from zbrush 2 different version of the same object.

The first one (1.) is heavily decimated, in order to keep it light for 3ds max viewport, but also in order to maintain all the main volumes of the object, ad it's the object on wich i retopology the final low poly geometry (2.)

The second object i import from zbrush is the same, but with a much higher polycount, in order to keep all the sculpted details, and this is what i'm gonna use to bake the normal map (3.)

The last object in the image is the baked low poly mesh (4.)

img_2.jpg

Image B:

Here are a bunch of tips i think it's good to keep in mind when you're dealing with your low poly mesh.

1. Choose your geometric details. It means that, while you're building your lowpoly geometry in the retopology process, you have to carefully choose what details of the highpoly model you want to model, and what details you want to leave to the normal map.
    In general a good idea i to try to reproduce the big volumes, keeping an eye on the silouette in order to keep it smooth and curvy enough (of course if you have a curved silouette). In the image i show in green how i decided to keep intact certain edges that are probably going to be visible in the silouette. Instead i decided to simplify the red area, cause the normal map will be enough to show the details there.
    P.S. Remember also to keep an eye at the polycount ;)

2. Choose your Smooothing Groups. This is foundamental if your wanna bake a nice normal map. Usually i try to keep the SG as low as possible in number to keep things simple in the UV mapping phase. A good way to decide your SG is to start giving to everything just one SG, and then checking where the shading isn't smooth, and changing the SG in that area.
    In general angles over 60°-70° needs different smoothing groups, but then of course it's up to you.
    In the image i've highlighted the different SG i used.

3. Unwrap (UV map). This is a basic one. The only thing you have to keep in mind while doing your UVs is to break the UV islands in correspondence of an hard edge (due to a change of SG). In the image you can see the green lines in correspondece of any change of SG. Remember to leave enough space for the padding between one UV island and another.

img_3.jpg

Image C:

This image is more to show some useful tools, and my Render to Texture settings.

First, on the left, you can see i use Outliner Script for 3dsmax.
    It mainly show you all the objects you have in your scene, with the option to show them by Hierarchy, Layers, and more. In this case i use it with visualization by layers, so that i can choose the single objects (correspondent lowpoly and bake models) very quickly. If you keep your scene organized with named object, this will save u a lot of time in my opinion.

In the center you can see the cage for the projection...seriously nothing to say about it, no special settings, no tricks. I just increase the amount till i see no more intersections of the cage with the hipoly model. Easy.

On the right you can see my Render to Texture settings. Also here there is nothing particular to point out. The only thing is that i usually bake at double resolution of the one i have in mind for my texture, and then i rescale the bakes in photoshop. I do this to keep the bake quick, instead of using some Hammerslay supersampler that would make the render a lot more heavy (but i'm still not sure of which process is better).
    So i bake at 2048 a texture that will be 1024 in the end (this object cover a 512 portion of that 1024).
    I also keep a padding of 16 px for a 2048 (keep in mind that it will be scaled to 8 px)

I think i've said everything on how i bake my models, i hope it's clear enough and that my english is not to bad :)
    If you have any questions i'm here to answer them ;)
    Cheers"

Alright after re-reading it, a few things to keep in mind.

Smoothing-groups: once i use to break my mesh in many smoothing groups, since i work on Dota i'm trying to limite them as much as i can. Less smoothing groups, less problems.

Bake Padding: in the tutorial i go with 16px. Nothing wrong about it, only difference is that now i like to do my padding in photoshop with xnormal plugins, so i leave it to 2px or 0px in max.

Maps: i don't bake anymore tangent normals in 3dsmax, but i bake World Space normals, and then obtain the Tangents in Handplane. This also fix possible baking problems that max sometimes have (it also allow me to go more extreme with the smoothing groups, that's why now i can do less of them).
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, thank you so much for putting the time and effort into doing something like this. I will certainly be having a look at a few of these tips when I start baking my future projects.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yay, accuracy ! :)

If I may add, here are a couple remarks :

- Using a Object Space workflow like you do has the huge benefit of generating bakes that are effectively universal. What I mean by that is that while there is a gazillion ways to generate and display Tangent Space normalmaps (every engine and every 3d program is handling the creation and the display of TS maps slightly differently, making such TS maps pretty much incompatible with each other especially for hard surface designs), Object Space normalmaps are actually universally consistent since since they do not involve any surface information coming from the lowpoly shading. That's a hugely important point when it comes to obtaining perfectly seamless bakes, especially on the mirror line of a symmetrical model. And of course, Handplane then takes care of generating the very specific Source-specific Tangent Space normalmap with maximum accuracy. I thought I'd stress this point, since for some reason the Handplane workflow seems to be ignored by the Dota2 community even tho it has been created especially to our benefit.

- Another remark would be that to an extent, such a workflow *can* allow us to bypass the use of hard edges completely, since the TS map ultimately being generated by Handplane is completely synchronized with the Source Engine and thus doesn't need to rely on any trick, even on sharp objects like the edge of a sword. Now I can see that in some case the artist might still want to use hard edges on the low, to make a blade look sharp even when the camera is far away (meaning that the textures are blurry, and start to fail at keeping things sharp shading-wise) ; however, the advantage of going for a fully smoothed model with a perfectly tuned Handplane TS map is that it doesn't require and edge hardening at all - which means less potential for errors down the road.

Anyways - sorry for the verbose post, I just thought I could add some extra information to your already very useful breakdown :)
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, an additional on image B, caption 3 : you are again absolutely correct. The necessary "split apart" UV edges are the ones where there is, indeed, a hard edge in the low.

I am stressing this, because I have encountered artists being confused by that part and doing the complete opposite, that is to say putting a hard edge on their mesh for every UV island border. Now this will not affect the visual results, but it is absolutely unnecessary, and can only create issues. On top of that, it makes the model heavier for the engine, which is always something to be avoided.

TLDR : there is no need to put a hard edge down the symmetry line of a model, like some artists seem to be doing. It is only asking for errors to happen.

Sorry for the hijack, and congrats on Venge coming along nicely :)
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    One cool thing about smooth groups is that they actually help in having good normals on both LOD0 and LOD1.

To simplify lest say I have cube with 1 smooth group and later I will delete bottom of that cube. Vertex normals will change near deleted face. However if I know with advance that I will delete this part I can give it different smoothing group so after deletion all will be perfecto :) Maybe not worth a hassle but I found this useful :) of course in more complex shapes also :D
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras : do you have any practical example of this ? I am not saying that it is impossible to do, but it just seems unnecessarily convoluted and hard to predict. (however, I would be happy to be won over if that technique turns out to be useful !)

Regarding the normals changing after face deletion : I think it would be possible to avoid that problem (at least in Maya) by transferring the vertex normals information using Transfer Attributes.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pior I know in 3DSMax this could be achieved with Edit Normals modifier that is capable of freezing them. There is also a plugin that can be used to transfer normals from any other object, however I found my approach a bit simplier for me.

Basically whenever I know I will be deleting any faces that are ~90 angle I give them different smooth groups. This work for dota because of top-down exclusive view for LOD1. This sadly would not have any application in any other game without top-down view. Simply because no one would delete underneath geometry for LOD1 that could be seen from the side as well.

Anyway here is a screenshot of Terrorblade armor from set I did last time. I set up here blue material to faces that I deleted for LOD1 to show where I added different smooth groups. His collar armor was actually not deleted inside, however I collapsed the thickness so different smooth group also help to prevent there weird errors.

JUknubh.jpg

I dont know if that is any good and will help someone but well, discusion is always nice :)

Ahh and Motenai sorry for making a mess here ^^'
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting ! Thank you for sharing that example. It looks like it would require quite a bit of planning, but I can certainly see how this could be useful when specific designs allows for it. Good stuff to keep in mind !
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    Actually you can do a lot of "normals-magic" to make sure your lod0 and lod1 look more alike. Basically you can simplify any areas that do not contribute to the silhouette of the model, then point the normals of those areas in the same direction (usually planar) via the Edit Normals, on both lod0 and lod1. Then baking the normal map. Since the normal map modifies the normals direction and the normals on both lod0 and lod1 are pointing in the same direction the result will look almost identical. It's quite complicated to understand without images but I hope it's not too confusing.

What you're doing with smoothing groups is essentially the same thing.
    You make sure that the areas were geometry changes retain their normals on both lod0 and lod1.
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vovosunt Yes, however I found better to first remove things that will not be visible and later if necessary collapse/weld remaining geometry. One thing I don't like about Edit Normals modifier is that it always freak out and mess up normals when I make any changes to geometry after its setup :/ Maybe I do something wrong ^^'
  • Lyether
    The Nyx Assassin is Personally my favorite. Love your work
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    Great armor and beautiful bakes!

I have never used that Smoothing Groups technique before to bake my normal maps, I may need to rethink that.

I only have two questions if someone could please answer :):

--> How do you use a similar technique of smoothing groups in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush or xNormal?

--> Which are the advantages of using smoothing groups on the low poly to bake normals?

Thanks a bunch!
    Eduardo
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    @Konras: Yeah 3dMax modifiers are quirky, one of the reasons why I don't use it. I can only recommend doing it as the last step to avoid those mess-ups. Edit normals in maya is also not that great (and by that I mean downright horrible).

@Eduardo: Firstly, Mudbox, Zbrush and xNormal have nothing to do with it, since those applications are for sculpting or map baking. Configuring your normals should be done in you main 3D modeling program.
    Smoothing groups in Maya are implemented via hard/soft edges (in my opinion a much better and faster to use system). Basically a smoothing group in 3dMax has all internal edges set to soft and outer to hard. In maya you can also play around with normals via the Edit Normals Tool (Set Normal is also available if you know the exact normal direction you want).

The advantage is that your lod0 and lod1 look much more alike as the normals remain the same (basically what Konras had explained).

I think we should to give the thread back to Monetai, it was hijacked for quite a while :P
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @pior, motenai
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it was my understanding that using the 'Handplane Source Engine Tangent Calculator' plugin for xNormal would already bake a normal map that is specifically optimized for the Source Engine, thus skipping the step and eliminating the need for baking out an Object Space normal map first in order to convert it later?

@Konras, @Vovosunt
    Very interesting, I've mostly been pretty negligent with the normals for the lod1 since at game distance it's really hard to see anything, but this is quite an interesting approach. For the next one, I'll try locking the normals vs. not locking them and see if there is a noticable improvement in quality, thanks for sharing.
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    Vovosunt wrote: »
    @Eduardo: Firstly, Mudbox, Zbrush and xNormal have nothing to do with it, since those applications are for sculpting or map baking. Configuring your normals should be done in you main 3D modeling program.
    Smoothing groups in Maya are implemented via hard/soft edges (in my opinion a much better and faster to use system). Basically a smoothing group in 3dMax has all internal edges set to soft and outer to hard. In maya you can also play around with normals via the Edit Normals Tool (Set Normal is also available if you know the exact normal direction you want).

The advantage is that your lod0 and lod1 look much more alike as the normals remain the same (basically what Konras had explained).

Thanks a bunch for the explanation. The reason I put Mudbox, ZBrush and xNormal there is because I thought (especially Mudbox/ZBrush) for baking they didn't understand smoothing groups. Anyhow yeah I agree, the tools in Maya are probably easier in that regard.

Once again, thanks! Also sorry for the thread hijack, it was just too interesting. :poly124:
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik : as a matter of fact, I still have to try that workflow ! I do remember reading that one of the recent Handplane updates featured such a plugin, but I never took the time to test it out. One more thing to add on my to-do list !

Arguably I personally would still need the OS map as I use it as a very fast way to obtain a "directional" pass (the green channel of an OS map represents all the parts of a model pointing up, something that I find very useful for weathering), so it wouldn't save me much time ; but you are right, it could streamline things just a bit further. Now of course this is all irrelevant for people who do everything inside a 3d app like Maya or Max.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    For the topdown information, I just bake out a Bent Normal map from xNormal, take the green channel from that one.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's pretty much the same thing :)

(well, except for the fact that Bent Normals are usually "bent" just a little further than OS maps in order to hackily simulate AO is some engines, and therefore would not provide a proper input for Handplane OS to TS conversion, but that's irrelevant to the discussion here of course. Speaking of which, I did hear reports that the Bent normalmaps generated by Xnormal are looking exactly the same than OS normalmaps ; if that's indeed the case, then something is wrong with Xnormal, as these maps are suppose to serve different purposes to begin with).

On a side note : another advantage of sharing OS maps is for communication between artists. If someone somehow ends up with messed up vertex normals, which seems to happen more that it should in Maya, the OS maps will still be perfect, and can be used to "save" a poorly setup model after resetting its shading. But of course, if everything is all setup properly, that's not necessary and indeed I can see a huge benefit in that Xnormal plugin baking straight to "proper Source normals". Gotta try it !
  • Sno0op
    Motenai, great work at texturing in mudbox! As far as i see you use blur, but in my way it works strange: it moves all my highlighted areas (or shadowed) to the point i don't want them to be. Is that because of blur working with all the layers?

And did you learned painting in art school or something?)
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    I think i'm pretty much done with the diffuse texture of Venge...i might want to adjust some tones tomorrow after a fresher look

1nkxFoy.png
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
  • bounchfx
    hmm, yep. that looks hot.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Echoes of the Eyrie for Vengeful Spirit is finally published!
    Big thanks to Abyss FX for the particles work!

Go vote for it if you like it, link on the image ;)

BKPQdHN.jpg
  • foxclover
    Great job on the set~ Everything in the presentation materials are really eye catching. Really love how the hair turned out. Going to have to use this set for some carry-venge games, cause it's too badass for plain old wards... ;D
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great, everything come out really well. My only criticism would be the new auto attack particlelooks similar to the auto attack for Desolator but otherwise outstanding work!
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Great looking set!! Also agree with foxclover! I would totally kick some asses using this set ^______^
  • ChiZ
    Everything about this set is sexy, and that loading screen is incredibly effective. Love the movement in those feathers!
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    rly loving the hair
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished yesterday the sculp for a new Dazzle set concepted by Robo!
    JRy6rzB.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Wow dude! it's great! I love his face so much
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Nice, especially the weapon. Will you add some details to the hair later? Lowpoly stripes like I did for lycan would fit..
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    That surely sounds like a good idea...the hair is the part i like the less....how did you deal with the 1bit alpha though? i'm afraid on hair is gonna look too harsh
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure if it's motenai or anuxi :p but looks awesome anyway xD
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I just used small solid stripes, no alpha. Alpha usually looks bad from some angles because of mipmapping. And 1bit alpha sucks for hair anyway :(
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    @ quockhanhlk : i don't understand your doubt...like, you're not sure if me and Anuxi are 2 separate entities ? (yes we are)

@ Katzeimsack : ye i went to re-check your Lycan and i noticed that the hair are solid stripes without any alpha....i think i'll give it a go, thanks for the suggestion a lot ;)
    P.S. I checked your portfolio and i found out you're one of my "hero/inspiration artist" since a long time...i just didn't know it was you :D

Thanks everyone for the support
  • agito666
    my wild guess he is refering the massive fur that resemble Anuxi's mirana set or anuxi's CM snow drop set or feather feature :P
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message