Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Piece

harjm
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
harjm polycounter lvl 4
For my Portfolio piece I will be sculpting a diorama piece of an well concept and will at the end be put into Unreal 4 Engine.

Chosen Concept

Alex_Legg_Ruined_Well_Concept_zps0cca4dca.jpg

Gathered some visual reference to help with final piece general visual reference was gathered looking at different styles of pillars and damage detail and crack patterns.

Columns

Colums2_zps702bcbf5.png

Colums1_zps33a758e1.png

Colums3_zpsb71de816.png

Buckets

Buckets_zpsfa88a7a6.png

Damage and Cracks

Cracks_zpsf2b10bdc.png

While researching I found a piece created by James McDonald of this exact concept using Light wave and Z brush Pipeline.

Final Render
http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/harjm2/Portfolio/jamemcdonald_WellHiResGreenBackgroundLowRes_zps405b742a.jpg

Wire Frame

Lines_zpsd839b886.jpg

The guy who created the piece
3DWorldInsideCover_zps941fdc2d.jpg

Blockout WIP

[SKETCHFAB]52ada4a78ef3458c90ee5887263da3f6[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Damn that presentation :O great quality
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    My Base mesh progress at the moment still need to create the buckets and lion face for the small cubes at the bottom if there are any recommendations on how to create the lion face it would really help as I do not know how to begin it.

[SKETCHFAB]044cec7ae6fe4376bec1a6abf816a885[/SKETCHFAB]
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    I have finished my base mesh and it is ready to be sculpted in z brush all I have left is to model the lion head but for the moment.

[SKETCHFAB]1403245611654517a74dc0742ed741ac[/SKETCHFAB]
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Have created my base mesh for the lion head and have set-up the well in zbrush ready to sculpt.

Before making the base mesh gathered reference to help with getting the correct form for the face before enhancing it in zbrush and to get a idea of how much detail is in lion head statues.

snarling-lion-head-vector-drawing-antique-architectural-detail-form-39367739_zps20490c42.jpg

59437_vatican_lion_zpsf8d9cd6b.jpg

59450_tiger_head_zpsf6caf4d0.jpg

7BestPhotoExamplesofLionPhotography6_zps368ea44b.jpg

lion-head-statue-2950167_zps01bb944a.jpg

tmpa69915_thumb_thumb_zps18ad1f0e.png

tumblr_n1gzpnJqMk1rjw0mwo3_1280_zps41b0b14e.jpg

cropwm_zps9e71964b.jpg

stock-photo-lion-s-head-artistic-bronze-sculpture-of-a-lion-head-isolated-on-black-background-d-rendered-134937293_zps33da1e49.jpg

Added in as much detail possible for the base mesh for the lion head.

LionHead1_zpsef41cc37.png

[SKETCHFAB]2066b8ad551a458a9c78d95c1efa92a0[/SKETCHFAB]

Well setup in Z brush

wellsculpt1_zps617a614a.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Began sculpting the well started from the bottom and will work my way up at the moment the two bottom platforms have been sculpted with damaged added to then using the clay brush the aim was to add in much more damage to the well compared to the concept as if it has been left abandoned for many years which also adds more character into the diorama.

WellZbrushWIP1_zpsb0a8454f.png

WellZbrushWIP2_zpsa64cb6b3.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Started working on one of the pillars this is my progress at the moment and will post more tomorrow showing my progress

WellZbrushWIP3_zps0b94df84.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Update on sculpt left the pillar at the moment and decided to work on the bottom which is coming along nicely still work in progress edges need smoothing a little and cracks need to be added in at the moment.

WellZbrushWIP4_zpseed60423.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Update on my sculpt added in more damaged edges overall and worked more on the pillars.

WellZbrushWIP5_zps45967d8b.png
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    nice progress so far. My main crit is a lot of the shapes are off in the lion head. Are you planning on using that as a base for scuplting? If so, why is it triangulated?
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    nice progress so far. My main crit is a lot of the shapes are off in the lion head. Are you planning on using that as a base for scuplting? If so, why is it triangulated?

Hi BradMyers8w thanks for the feedback and yes the lion head will be used as a base mesh in zbrush also I think it looks triangulated because I did not add a smoothing group to it in Max when I rendered it out will do another render with smotthing group to show it better.
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Rendered the lion head again in max with automatic smoothing groups.

LionHead2_zpsa57565fd.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Current progress need to sculpt the roofs and buckets and create a ropes.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDF4f5sG-30"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDF4f5sG-30[/ame]
  • Deathrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathrey polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good so far.
    It seems to me that well bricks are too small in your sculpt. It kinda breaks the sense of scale. They are actually larger in the concept.
    Additionally bricks do not go on top of each other. Every new row is shifted.
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Deathrey wrote: »
    Looks good so far.
    It seems to me that well bricks are too small in your sculpt. It kinda breaks the sense of scale. They are actually larger in the concept.
    Additionally bricks do not go on top of each other. Every new row is shifted.

Hi Deathrey I did not even realise about the bricks I spent a lot time sculpting that I just kept forgetting to go back and edit them thanks for the feedback much appreciated will make the change.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting concept, looking forward to seeing where you take this.
    How do you intend on reusing the Uvs etc? Did you sculpt everything uniquely?
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Spoon wrote: »
    Interesting concept, looking forward to seeing where you take this.
    How do you intend on reusing the Uvs etc? Did you sculpt everything uniquely?

Hi Spoon I have sculpted majority of it uniquely to keep down as much repetition as possible below I have highlighted the areas that are going to be repeated and did not need to be sculpted uniquely.

Untitled-1_zps18448f81.png

At the moment I am planning to reuse the Uvs by having a tiled brick texture maybe same for the wood for the bucket and metal texture for the metal pieces.

But have not got a complete plan down as how I will reuse the uvs at the moment and will look into that.

Thanks
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Have edited the bricks to make them more scaled to the well and laid out more correctly and now they just need sculpting.

[SKETCHFAB]a7c2a1f342f84331b1296a8ca3a290da[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Deathrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bricks do feel better now.

I really like the concept too. This is probably a good portfolio piece to have :poly142:

As for breakdown:
    At the moment I am planning to reuse the Uvs by having a tiled brick texture maybe same for the wood for the bucket and metal texture for the metal pieces.

I am not sure that by using tiling textures on this asset you optimize it in any way(apart from the ropes). Unless this asset is a part of a similar objects set and those tiling textures are reused all over the level, i would probably not bother with it. Besides Whats the point in sculpting the bricks if you are going to make a seamless texture for them anyway?

Here are my thoughts on how I would break it down:

You can rotate pillars in a such way that only unique details will be seen. I would probably model out only one of 3.

Same with pedestals with an exception of front face. I would only model 1 out of 3.

From 3 brick walls i would model one broken section and one undamaged and reuse latter one once.

For the stairs i would consider making something like 1/3 or 1/2 of a circle and reuse that.

Alternatively, It is possible to bake 6-8 bricks as separate objects and deform their low polys as needed, but imho the broken section needs to look unique. It is somewhat that attracts eye attention at first place.

From 3 buckets ropes and pulleys i would also model only 1.

Something like this :

3eHMkp9.jpg
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Bricks do feel better now.

I really like the concept too. This is probably a good portfolio piece to have :poly142:

As for breakdown:

I am not sure that by using tiling textures on this asset you optimize it in any way(apart from the ropes). Unless this asset is a part of a similar objects set and those tiling textures are reused all over the level, i would probably not bother with it. Besides Whats the point in sculpting the bricks if you are going to make a seamless texture for them anyway?

Here are my thoughts on how I would break it down:

You can rotate pillars in a such way that only unique details will be seen. I would probably model out only one of 3.

Same with pedestals with an exception of front face. I would only model 1 out of 3.

From 3 brick walls i would model one broken section and one undamaged and reuse latter one once.

For the stairs i would consider making something like 1/3 or 1/2 of a circle and reuse that.

Alternatively, It is possible to bake 6-8 bricks as separate objects and deform their low polys as needed, but imho the broken section needs to look unique. It is somewhat that attracts eye attention at first place.

From 3 buckets ropes and pulleys i would also model only 1.

Something like this :

3eHMkp9.jpg

Thanks again this will help me out a lot really appreciate the effort will use this as reference when it comes to retoping the sculpt and working out the uvs also i agree about the tiled texture thinking about it know wit would work better if it was in a level as it is just a portfolio piece thee is no point of a tiled texture.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    That was my point aobut reusing the texture as well. You only need to sculpt 1 pillar, 1 base with the lionhead, and a third of both the upper arc and the lower platform. It doesnt even need to be tilable, because it has natural seams between the bricks.

Uniquely sculpting more than that just takes more time, used more texture memory, and makes it look like you dont know how to optimize - in case you are going to use this to apply to a studio. If not, go crazy :P
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Spoon wrote: »
    That was my point aobut reusing the texture as well. You only need to sculpt 1 pillar, 1 base with the lionhead, and a third of both the upper arc and the lower platform. It doesnt even need to be tilable, because it has natural seams between the bricks.

Uniquely sculpting more than that just takes more time, used more texture memory, and makes it look like you dont know how to optimize - in case you are going to use this to apply to a studio. If not, go crazy :P

Thanks for the feedback I will look into reusing the assets as I will be using thus in my portoflii to get a job in industry and really apprecaite all the help.
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Update on sculpt need to sculpt the buckets and from the feedback given It will be optimised for ue4 when retoped to show understanding of industry techniques and will have a detailed sculpt with the unique assets to show of my sculpting skills.

Added a bit of noise to the whole mesh and added in damage the tops roofs.

[ame="ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq95-6iYcj0"]ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq95-6iYcj0[/ame]
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Added in more detail to the well and began sculpting the buckets only added damage to the edges still need to add wood grain and add a bit more damage to the metal.

Z brush Screenshots

wellsculpt1_zpsefb9420b.png

wellsculpt2_zps29ac0f5a.png

wellsculpt3_zps836d32e5.png

wellsculpt4_zps998a20ee.png

Also began blocking out the lion head getting the features to look right ad the moment before any damage or noise is added to it.

LionHeadSculptProgres_zpscb8b8b70.png
  • AutoExit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AutoExit polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking great. One thing that i can say is that you should rotate those buckets like on the concept art. Cheers!!
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    AutoExit wrote: »
    This is looking great. One thing that i can say is that you should rotate those buckets like on the concept art. Cheers!!

Hi AutoExit thanks for the feedback and I will definitely rotate the buckets to match the concept just ended up spending more time then planed on the well trying to get the damage and look right.

appreciate the help.
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    I have edited to the buckets instead of having three unique buckets decided to have two the same and one broken.

I will duplicate the sculpted bucket to be used as the middle one and the one on the left which will have the handled broken from one side like the concept art so it looks different and is not obvious that it is the same model.

New bucket layout in Z brush

Bucketsculpt1_zps41ee037f.png
    Bucket sculpted

Bucketsculpt2_zps8023fa19.png

I have only modified the top metal frame on the bucket a bit and will be duplicated for the middle and bottom as they have not been touched yet and do not need to be sculpted separate.

Will get athe buckets all done this weekend and finish any little touches left on the main well and then work on the lion head and finish the sculpt and move on to retopping and texturing for UE4.
  • Deathrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to see some and update on this thread. I wanted to say that for me metal bands on the buckets and ropes seem to be smaller then on the concept. They might not read good enough from a distance. Probably same is true for inner part of the pulley and the hook. They seem thin and a bit squishy.
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Good to see some and update on this thread. I wanted to say that for me metal bands on the buckets and ropes seem to be smaller then on the concept. They might not read good enough from a distance. Probably same is true for inner part of the pulley and the hook. They seem thin and a bit squishy.

Hi Deathrey I have been meaning to post more regularly just been busy with other university modules and thanks for the feedback did not realise first but I see what u mean about the pulley,hook and metal bands the rope i was thinking of creating a braided rope in max or if i can found out how do it in z brush.

Thanks for the feedback again appreciate it helping me out a lot.
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Update on sculpt.

Finished bucket sculpt and have a little left to do on the pulley which will be duplicated for the other two and still need to finish lion head sculpt.

Bucket sculpt
    Buckets2_zps3a1bfab8.png

Pulley sculpt
    PulleySculpt_zpse552e566.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Spent a little time making a few changes to the lion sculpt trying to get the feature accurate even though it will be concrete and not seen much I wanted to it be the best possible as it will create nice piece for my portfolio on a separate page.

Any changes you would recommend please let me know

thanks

LionWIP4_zps800c9ad6.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Update on lion head needs a lot more work on the features at the moment and also need to work on the hair too.

Lion%20Wip_zps4bblwsq3.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Sorry for not posting for while have managed to finish the well sculpt and currently sculpting the lion head got busy with other modules and kept forgetting to upload progress.

Well sculpt
    M018051c%20Gradex_zpsxksj3nfr.png

Lion Sculpt
    LionHead_hair2_zpsuvlzoiqj.png
  • Pearse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man good start you have some nice textures.. the lion dose need work..

i would grab a new poly sphere and just try to get the chunky square shape of the nose and then the head eyes

look at reference.. and once you have the right feel to the shapes then put your noes (which is simple when you look at it) and eyes.. put them in as separate spheres and sculpt around them.. also the hair you did looks good.. looks carved right... dont be afraid to leav your lion head looking a but "unfinished" and weathered

make sure your reference is BIG and CLEAR

Lion%EF%BC%8C-Head-Close-Up-1200x1920.jpg

7034269-lion-head-images.jpg

Animal-Lion-Head-Desktop-Wallpaper-1920x1080.jpg
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Pearse wrote: »
    hey man good start you have some nice textures.. the lion dose need work..

i would grab a new poly sphere and just try to get the chunky square shape of the nose and then the head eyes

look at reference.. and once you have the right feel to the shapes then put your noes (which is simple when you look at it) and eyes.. put them in as separate spheres and sculpt around them.. also the hair you did looks good.. looks carved right... dont be afraid to leav your lion head looking a but "unfinished" and weathered

make sure your reference is BIG and CLEAR

Lion%EF%BC%8C-Head-Close-Up-1200x1920.jpg

7034269-lion-head-images.jpg

Animal-Lion-Head-Desktop-Wallpaper-1920x1080.jpg

Thanks Pearse for the feedback and reference really appreciate it
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    it may be a tad bit easier to find your shapes if you look at sculpture

lionhead34.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=lion%20head%20sculpture
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    low odor wrote: »
    it may be a tad bit easier to find your shapes if you look at sculpture

lionhead34.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=lion%20head%20sculpture

Thanks for the feedback low odor have looked at some sculptures but looking a more would help alot more thanks
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Update on sculpt added in eye sockets and edited the eyes they look better then before but still need more work doing to them and the same for the hair use the pinch tool to make the sharper at the end but need to edit the hair strands more also i edited the nose but not liking it at the moment and will need to spend more time improving.

Lion%20WIP%206_zpsb2s47d0m.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Lion head update after the feedback from here and help from lectures my lion head is finally coming along and is almost near finished for my deadline.

Below is the latest version of my sculpt.

Lion%20Edited%2013-04-15_zpskrzmptms.png

Still need to create the lowpoly for this my aim was to create a sculpted diorama but also wanted to make lowpoly and place it into ue4 whcih I will have to think about how to unwrap using the help given in thsi forum before about hot the make the lowpoly of the sculpt.
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    I have started the retop and have created my first uv unwrap is the top section all on one 2048 texture sheet.

Do you guys think think is the best way to approach this also the next texture sheet will include al the middle section and was planing of having the bottom platform on a separate sheet same with the lion head having it's own texture sheet too.

Baked
    screenshot001_zpsz9ppbr4f.png

Normal map with uv overlay
    Well_UV1_normals_zpsdb5prmo4.png
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Update on well managed o finish for deadline but still need to add some foliage for my gradex show.

Any feedback would much appreciated thanks

Sculpt

Well%20setup.1_zpsvxttbyp5.png

Well%20setup.2_zpsjjlujmz9.png

Well%20setup.3_zpsmo5dyl6d.png

UE4 Render

Well_7_zpskzrwvfho.png

Well_6_zpsg4xcf2aa.png

Well_1_zpsrset0joy.png

Well_5_zpsvdicex0o.png

Well_4_zpssm523mgt.png

Well_2_zpscstqmhgn.png
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    It looks really good, though it all kind of looks like its one colour at the moment, maybe adding in some variations could be good?
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Doxturtle wrote: »
    It looks really good, though it all kind of looks like its one colour at the moment, maybe adding in some variations could be good?

Thnaks for the feedback Doxturtle will make changes just trying to get it ready for gradex this Friday been meaning to make a few changes but not had the time.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    The ropes having slack (and being a funky spaghetti shape) make them look kinda weird to me considering they are hanging off the pulley's and they'd be tight.

Agree for the color gradations, the darker being at the bottom.
  • ed_3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think some grass blades growing out the cracks and some ivy, like in the concept would make this a lot more interesting color-wise :). Maybe even a little bit of moss, you can see accents of it in the concept.

Good job so far though
  • harjm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    sorry for the late reply been busy final few weeks of uni thanks for the feedback and planning to work on this future by adding in the foliage as mentioned.

Thanks Guys