Home General Discussion

Max Payne 3

Replies

• glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Yea... game looks awesome and plays awesome, and i did enjoy the story and dialogue. I love the animation and look of the game. PC FTW.
  • WarrenM
  • ScudzAlmighty
    just started playing the other night, I LOVE'D the effect of Max's shirt being wet and transparent underneath his jacket after he lands in the pool, but in the two hours I was in the game I think only about 20 minutes was actually playing and the rest was just cut-scene's. I don't know if that was a technical decision or a narrative one but all I could think was MP 1&2 would have actually let me do some of this stuff. Does it actually let me play stuff later on?
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm.... that's too bad.... i guess this will put things a little more into perspective for Rockstar when deciding if they want to do more PC stuff. Might not be worth it... i dunno... GTA should be better on PC since you can mod it. Maybe that is what is lacking in the game to attract more PC gamers.

@SCUD: i thought the intro was a little manipulated like that. But once you get into the stadium its more shooting.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    ^groovy.

I wonder how many pc players got the console version because the pc was needlessly delayed and they couldn't wait? I got it gifted on steam but had previously lost interest in it during the delay and probably would have waited for a sale otherwise.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    still havnt picked it up. i would have it wasnt for the delay, just lost interest while waiting since all my friends beat it on the 360 2 weeks before i could play
  • JostVice
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Those sales failure are for PC or global?

I'm not sure why the game has failed so much, this is one of my most enjoyed shooters!
  • firestarter
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    I was very interested initially for MP3, but I read it was just roughly 8 hours of single player with plenty of cut scenes. Cut scenes are not a game. That just doesn't cut it these days at $60+. That's my perspective on not buying it at release, shall pick it up at around 20 bucks.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a game that would benefit from a demo. Seriously. You play this game for say 20 mins, and i guarantee you'll be hooked by the animations and how visceral the game looks when they get shot and the physics. Pretty awesome game, at least imo.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    really ? 8 hours not enough for full single player action game?

I just beat it in 11 hours, I never seen game like this in my life.
    congrats to R* max payne team
    it has super nice soundtracks too dang
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoyed it (once I EVNETUALLY got it working....with a crack).

There are loads of little cutscenes, so I understand the gripe people have, but I felt they were done well. The voice acting and script kept me interested in the character and what was going and I enjoyed it. Though sometimes they are just way too close together.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire wrote: »
    really ? 8 hours not enough for full single player action game?

I just beat it in 11 hours, I never seen game like this in my life.
    congrats to R* max payne team
    it has super nice soundtracks too dang

YES! the OST is sooooo good! plus i love all the songs from all different artists.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IUIPFL56T0&list=PLA3500FD1CEC329A8&index=1&feature=plpp_video"]Mr Hermano * Como Um Sol - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Jv0DTwtys&feature=BFa&list=PLA3500FD1CEC329A8"]Bazeado - Urubu No Telhado - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9xA8Q9q57U&feature=BFa&list=PLA3500FD1CEC329A8"]Os Novos Crioulos - Mar Afunda (Bonobo Remix) - YouTube[/ame]

Some really awesome gems. Specially if you like bossa nova with samba.
  • jjsuperspy
    Offline / Send Message
    jjsuperspy polycounter lvl 8
    i loved the game i can understand that there are to many cutscene's but tbh they did it so well of merging the cutscenes and gameplay together it was really good and one thing when you are in the stadium level when you are sniping when you are following that guy its a cutscene WHY i could have moved it myself but still an amazing job. and there were parts in the story that came out of no where example would be when you are in the slums and you go to save that girl and her brother (i think) the parts that came after that i did not expect :D
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Recently completed this, it kept me coming back to it. Really love the story telling and narrative, gameplay and art was top notch!
  • Nick Carver
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    I really enjoyed Max Payne 1 and 2 back in the day, but I really can't understand the praise that this game is garnering. The narrative elements of the previous games were very strong, but Max Payne 3 is really disappointing for me. I'm noticing a very big Michael Mann influence on the this game, and it's desperate to be Collateral or Heat, but it's not even Miami Vice good in the story department. It's disappointing because I think this is something that Rockstar have done a great job at in recent games, particularly with LA Noire and Red Dead Redemption. The hard boiled voiceover doesn't really work outside of a noirish setting either.

From a gameplay perspective, it's solid, but there are so many sections that could have been interactive that are represented by (purposefully) glitchy, overly-stylized cutscenes. The nightclub level is a good case in point. It could have had some tension and fluidity if you were in control as you followed your clients through the club before things kicked off. But you are dropped in the middle of the gunfight, which lasts a couple of seconds, before there's another interruption to the gameplay via a needless expositional cutscene and so on. I'm sure this was a deliberate design choice, but I find the game so stop-start that I don't really ever feel like I'm playing the game for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I feel like the writers are a little too keen to hear their dialogue as often as possible and that the game suffers as a result.

Visually, it's decent, but definitely a level below other 3rd person games such as Uncharted, Gears etc. The stiff-limbed mocap really detracts during the cutscenes as well.
    I think that if this was an open world game, with lots of opportunity for exploration and freedom of choice then you could forgive some aspects of the game not being as polished as they should be, but this is a focused, linear experience that should be more streamlined and impressive. I kind of wonder what Remedy make of the game.