Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CZ Scorpion EVO3 A1

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

Working on a new project. High poly is about finished unless anyone has any comments on it at this point. Let me know!

screenshot001_zps6j3baspz.jpg

Scorpion01_zpsazfcrlcd.jpg
Scorpion02_zpseoxx67cs.jpg
Scorpion04_zpsn2rn18d6.jpg
Scorpion05_zps195jjn0y.jpg
Scorpion03_zpsi7caqo4p.jpg

Replies

• Micaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    Model presentation needs some more work, white background with grey simple material is not really a good idea unless material is really interesting. Look for "make your presentation model shine" or something like this, here on polycount. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69829 . What do you use for rendering? That noise needs a fix
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki. Yea I agree. I was trying out Keyshot, but since it was a trying I could only take screencaps without the watermark. I have re-rendered the shots with Marmoset. They can be found here if interested.

http://aaronmwolford.dunked.com/czscorpion
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Some quick thing you can do inside Keyshot to get some nice materials is use one of the car paint materials, they do seem pretty good as a base to tweak or to get some quick renders.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, making some progress on this. AO needs some areas painted out, but thoughts so far?

Scorpion08_zpson6godkc.jpg
    Scorpion06_zps2bvxa3gz.jpg
    Scorpion07_zpswgra9nuz.jpg
    Scorpion09_zpsvrwudkzw.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Nice progress so far!
    Heres Some feedback:
    First of all i would use a glossier material to present normal maps so we can see the shading better and a different background, you normally want to add some contrast with the background so the weapon pops out a bit more, at the moment they are both(background and weapon) very similar
    There is quite some baking problems you have in the mesh as well, i have marked some with red: 04b9153be5.jpg
    Also theres other parts that show that you havent exploded your mesh before baking, i suggest doing so in order to avoid parts intersecting details while baking.
    Keep it up, looking forward for more progress!
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the feedback maxivz. Yea I'm noticing some baking errors too. Odd thing is I did explode the mesh before baking... I'll go back and play with the setting a bit. Great points on rendering! I'll make some normal edits and then re-render with your recommendations in mind. Thanks again!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Triangulate before exporting to bake; those X shape errors are telltale signs you've baked with different triangulation (which affects lowpoly smoothing and therefore tangent space normals) to the mesh you've put the normal map on. (If you're not clear why that would make a difference, consider the different ways a polygon can be triangulated; not all software does it the same. For an even better idea, view your lowpoly model and manually triangulate a (non-planar) polygon to see how the different ways affect the surface shading.

Also, are you using a cage? When I look at the rail it looks like you're suffering from the missed rays problem.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making some more progress. Fixed the normal issues that were apparent earlier. Laying down some textures. Thoughts so far on general direction? I plan to do a standard black model texture and then some military camo of some sort later.

screenshot001_zps6j3baspz.jpg

screenshot002_zpsh9c7jju5.jpg
    screenshot003_zpsunimmghu.jpg
    screenshot004_zpsuwclyhbn.jpg
    screenshot005_zpszbdajd8k.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    The bake looks way better now.
    The material looks like its some kind of plastic in the reference.
    P1360389-900x601.jpg
    I would go and make it look more like plastic as its looking a lot like metal for the most part at the moment. Id also get rid of the bright scratches on the plastic as they scream metal, try to give it some softer scratches as its usually the way plastic gets scratched.
    Try to increase the separation between the metal parts and the plastic parts like that.
    50091_2_1024x1024.jpeg%3Fv%3D1432593049
    Hope it helps :)
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Maxivz! You're right. I'll change towards a plastic feel and remove those harsh scratches.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the chamber a rough plastic to go along with the real life design. Thoughts?!

Scorpion12_zps6bsjfvwc.jpg
    Scorpion13_zpsj3fcinod.jpg
    Scorpion15_zpsf1g39ob1.jpg
    Scorpion14_zpsuo98felf.jpg
    Scorpion11_zpsvc4xzt9r.jpg
  • beanster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beanster polycounter lvl 2
    Feels like your missing AO or something?
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Beanster. The AO is being applied to the AO slot in toolbag 2. I'll take a look and see if the contrast needs to be enhanced a bit.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bit of re-work to the texture on this to give it more story and life. CC welcome!
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Now that is looking way better. I really like the subtle variation you gave to the materials, specially the plastic.
    Try to add some natural noise to the normal of the plastic, don't make it too strong on the normal or it will look bad. you can use something like this (http://www.textures.com/download/various0671/44968) to generate a normal map from and overlay it in your plastic areas.
    Some of the scratches, specially on the metal look really procedural, i would try to hand paint or use images to break them up a bit, adding some photosource plastic scratches to the plastic would also be a good idea as it can help in separating the materials.
    Try to make the light hit the gun at the side and make it more drastic, its pretty flat at the moment, better lighting with more variation on the gloss map will really make the materials reactive to light.
    Keep it up! this is getting better every time i come back :)
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the feed back Maxivz! I will definitely go back and and make the adjustments you mentioned. Thanks again.