Home Adobe Substance

Substance - Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Replies

• Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys,

If you have some bitmaps in the Resources folder and for some reason you move them around, the PKG Resource Path gets broken and it becomes a blank image. Would it be possible to have it properly reassign the paths as you move?

Hi Bruno,

If you move the bitmaps out of SD, it will indeed break the resources link.
    A good way to work with dependencies (if you need to use a "link" instead of an "embedded") is to place a "Resources" (or the name you want : )) folder next to your sbs file.

If you already moved your resources, you can open SD, right click on a resource, and choose "Relocate". You'll have the possibility to set the new path.

Last thing: SD also have a way to export a sbs file with its dependencies (right click on a package => "Export with dependencies"), it's a good way to gather everything before moving the file.
    Other one: When trying to mess around with FX Maps, setting the Tiling Region all the way to 1 locks my computer up

EDIT: if the min = max, it cause an issue with the engine (as it will create an overlap, and you will "draw" an infinite amount of pattern. That's why you get this issue.
  • motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 11
    While working on the Shadowman model (see the master thread) I came across a few things that I though are missing or at least might be nice to have in future versions of SP:

* better selection tools (Lasso for example): masking off parts with a pen only can get really tedious for lage areas. The polyselection still works weird. So a few more selection/masking tools could come in handy.
    * Backface Masking/culling. This is really necessary and I think doesn't need explanation.
    * Lazy mouse: When painting on rigid or clean seams a lazy mouse option would be really appreciated. The stencil only goes so far ...
    * roller brushes: Similar to the lazy mouse - the stecils have their natural limits. Especially for round contours.
    * Color presets for the color picker
    * color variation painting brushes: patinting with color variations either within the current color range or foreground/background color
    * which reminds me: foreground/background color for quick switching ;)
    * quick mask/channel export for editing in PS: I found myself needing to edit a few maskings much more precise than possible with the given tools so I wanted to export the mask channel out to edit in Photoshop. Since it isn't supported I had to go an alternate route via user channel. No fun.
    * exporting beauty shots and turntables with YEBIS2 :)
    * Also A way to blur masks or strokes/layers - in short a blur brush ;)

Sometime later it would also be very nice to have a toolset to paint over seams after the texture is finisehd. Especially for substance fill-layers this is true and something I felt missing in SD as well.

Optional things:
    * Multiple Meshes and UV quadrants to paint in
    * The possibility to flip stencil masks direectly inside Painter.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    you can already paint on multiple meshes. Simply assign them different materials before you export them from your dcc app.

All your other requests are somewhere on our todo list :)
  • motionblur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motionblur polycounter lvl 11
    Cool. Thanks for the info. :)

I'm really looking forward to Painter's further development.It is an awesome tool.
  • MohsenDehnavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey..
    a problem is in my substance designer in PBR.
    models in 3d view have problem..!
    this picture with:
    color:white
    roughness:black/0.0
    metallic:white
    http://i.cubeupload.com/NRz8Lh.jpg

and after changing value of roughness,i have problem in my model:

http://i.cubeupload.com/wSgLd4.jpg

with every model i have this problem.this is in faces of model...

with increase value of roughness it will be full roughness!
    it should not be like this.it should to change all of model with edges...

what should i do?

in 4.4.1,4.5,4.5.1 i can see this problem.
    thanks
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    You need to have a proper default normal map (ie something like (128,128,255)). You probably have created a default PBR graph with empty outputs and sent all outputs to 3D view, including the empty normal output, therefore the 3D view shader is using normals which are (0,0,0), instead of the default value.
  • MohsenDehnavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks....
    yes my graph had not any normal...
    my problem solved... ;)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys, found a small bug:
    SD_Collapsecopy.png
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Hey guys, found a small bug:
    SD_Collapsecopy.png
    This one is already in our backlog. :)
  • StK Uriziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After exported main maps, I have this bug. It looks like metalness map was wrong exported. How to fix this bug ?

1,2 - marmoset
    3,4 - painter

L3w5tMP.jpg
    And another, when I export specular, it looks like as if painter wrongly addresses materials value
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Has anyone had any problems with the latest nvidia driver. Whenever i start up substance now i get a 'display driver stopped responding and has recovered' error. Nvidia windows Kernal mode driver, version 344.48 stopped responding and has successfully recovered. However when i go back to substance all the nodes are blank?
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Not here, I've been using that driver for a while now and haven't had any issues. What OS are you on? Which card is it?
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Using Windows 8.1 and gtx 680. it seems like it only happens when using the tessellation shader. Hmmmm
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I'd really appreciate it if you guys would release your Linux versions on Steam. The lack of a good MikkTSpace baker on Linux is really bothering me now that UE4's editor is kind of ported, and, well, I can't use Quixel, for obvious reasons, for my PBR texturing. I heard you guys had a Linux version of Substance Designer, is there anything happening with that?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Blender is using Mikkt (as far I know) and I saw a lot of people importing their assets from FBX files created with Blender without much problems. For a Linux version I don't think we could share any information about that for the moment.
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aelwine polycounter lvl 6
    After spending a bit of time playing with substance designer, I started playing with painter this weekend as well.

The software is great so far, I need to get my brain started on the new workflow, but I can see the potential.

A thing I find unnecessary painful in both softwares though, is the making of thumbnail icons.
    After creating a substance material, I would like to be able to see a sphere preview, like Allegorithmic's materials.

At the moment, ironically, I feel forced to use Photoshop to make myself icons to import back into SD.
    I wish there was a "make thumbnail from 3D view" button directly inside Substance.

Another thing would be the inclusion of icons when exporting the .sbsar as well. So that all your hard work on making icons doesn't go to waste one you try to import them inside Painter (that made me really sad).
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Regarding the base material node:

SD_Basemat_Metal.png
  • Bruno Afonseca
    One more: The cells_4 node is outputting at 4096 no matter what's the resolution of the parent graph.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yep, we just saw that, we'll fix it asap!
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasW polycounter lvl 13
    Hi Bruno,

The metallic slider is mainly bound to the material preset drop down, and the material preset drop down is bound to the basecolor boolean.

So, if you check the base color, the material preset drop down is hidden and consequently, if let's say the dielectric preset was chosen before, then the metallic slider is no longer available.

Workaround: set basecolor to false, set material preset to custom, set basecolor to true.

I'll see if I can fix that.

I've fixed the cells_4 node.
    We'll probably release a 4.6.1 soon.

Nicolas
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The following is about Painter.

Is it normal for the contents of the game textures packs to show up as faded dots in the material library, as opposed to being applied to a preview sphere like the default materials are ?

20141216-SubstancePainter001_zps4bbfbc05.jpg~original

As far as features requests are concerned : it would be great to have the names of the background environments show up in the picker. Similarly, the picker for Substance effects should clearly display the names of the various presets. In other words : the user shouldn't have to wait for a tooltip to appear.

20141216-SubstancePainter002_zpse19b5194.jpg~original

Thanks ! The app came a long way since its early days, it is now a real pleasure to work with :) Well done guys !
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Regarding the shelf : that's a bug we have to fix. The problem is that when you don't have any project open and the shelf try to generate a preview, it fails to load the default sphere. So the only fix if to get rid of the metadata associated with the material is to open a project before scrolling in the shelf to generate the previews.

For the little shelf when clicking on a button : yeah I agree. I will add something about that in our backlog. :)
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    hi I have this message when i start substance painter 1.1

EQ9GRsp.png

I already updated my driver to the latest version 344.75,
    restarted my PC.

still the same message

and another bug,

APWQvZ5.gif

the problem occur when I want to paint base uniform color

sorry for double post
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    Just thought of a feature request for Substance Painter. Another mask type, actually.

I was watching your tutorial series on Substance in UE4, notably the section about placing height details and was thinking... hang on, if you guys are placing height details on multiple layers, wouldn't it just be easier to reference those layers when painting in other info like color, roughness, etc?

So say you have a new layer and start painting details onto it. Would it be possible to use that new layer as an instanced mask? Like creating another layer, applying a mask that referenced the first layer and would dynamically update if you go back and add more detail.

ACTUALLY... the added ability to make referenced/linked masks from layer groups, too! GUYS. THIS. Hell, I should request this feature for Photoshop too.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    xvampire wrote: »
    hi I have this message when i start substance painter 1.1

[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/EQ9GRsp.png[/IMG]

I already updated my driver to the latest version 344.75,
    restarted my PC.

still the same message

and another bug,

[IMG*]http://i.imgur.com/APWQvZ5.gif[/IMG]

the problem occur when I want to paint base uniform color

sorry for double post
    For the driver warning, we base our test on the latest drivers verison available on every nVidia. So maybe the latest verison pour your GPU doesn't change anymore. You can ignore the warning therefore.

For the painting artifact, we are currently looking into it. Some other users mentioned it.

odd_enough wrote: »
    Just thought of a feature request for Substance Painter. Another mask type, actually.

I was watching your tutorial series on Substance in UE4, notably the section about placing height details and was thinking... hang on, if you guys are placing height details on multiple layers, wouldn't it just be easier to reference those layers when painting in other info like color, roughness, etc?

So say you have a new layer and start painting details onto it. Would it be possible to use that new layer as an instanced mask? Like creating another layer, applying a mask that referenced the first layer and would dynamically update if you go back and add more detail.

ACTUALLY... the added ability to make referenced/linked masks from layer groups, too! GUYS. THIS. Hell, I should request this feature for Photoshop too.

It's funny you mention that, I have actually talked about that instanced mask feature with some colleagues the other day. That's something that would need some design, but it's totally doable. :)
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be amazing, and I'd love you forever :)
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean, you could really go another way with the instances mask stuff too. When painting details, could also assign a mask ID color in the brush settings (or as an ID mask paint channel) and just dynamically paint an ID mask. I kind of like the other way of unique layer/groups as an instanced mask, but it is also a bit more technically difficult (I'd imagine).
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I have some requests for designer now, too. First is a request for a curves node. Levels is cool, but it's also highly destructive when using multiple level nodes in a chain. Too much image data loss.

Secondly, UX tweaks. Are you guys planning on being able to drop nodes onto an existing wire and having it auto-splice in? Conversely, would be awesome to shake a node free, similar to how Houdini does it. Might seem like a small UX thing, but it really does save a lot of time.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Curve and bevel nodes like nDo for SD. It's a must ;)
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Lol... I second this... But the devs have said it'll take some rewrite of the engine to add curves. Gonna download filter forge and try getting some ideas on what I'd like to see in this area.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Don't know if it's been said before, but customizing navigation controls.
    I've been doing a fair bit of work in Designer and Unreal 4's material editor and i have a moment of confusing every time i swap between the two haha.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Don't know if there's a way, but I'd love to add a float value inside graph, and make it public, therefore I'd still like to see inputs for the noises in question. So let's say you have "distance" i'd like to create to put a float number there and make it exposed. If there is already a way of doing that. Please let me know.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Not sure if this has been posted here, but I'd like to let you guys know.

I had a driver crash with AMD Catalyst 14.12 Omega. (been having some issues with these drivers regardless of Substance painter BTW)

I added a fill layer, added the car paint material and my drivers completely crashed.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Not sure if a bug or not, made a substance material and put sbsar in Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\materials. Assigned it to a fill layer and saved. Closed Painter, went to Designer added a new node, export again. Open Painter and project and the fill layer hasnt updated with the change. Pretty sure I saw Wes do this in one of the videos. The only way to update is readd the material but I lose the custom values I set before.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    THis is not a bug, but a current limitation we need to fix indeed, to let you reload substance filters/materials without losing your settings.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    THis is not a bug, but a current limitation we need to fix indeed, to let you reload substance filters/materials without losing your settings.

Ah any idea what an ETA on a fix would be Jerc? Also guessing there is no workaround
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bokaja polycounter lvl 16
    I experience issues getting Substance Painter to show custom imported HDR maps. I place them in \Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\environments.

They show up as thumbnails but only some of them will work? This happens both with .exr and .hdr format. File sizes are 7-50 mb.
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure their size is a power of two (ie 1024*512, 2048*1024 ..etc).
  • Bokaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bokaja polycounter lvl 16
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Hey guys, 2 little things:

SD_Gradient_00.png
    Making a gradient with a shape is somehow cheaper than using the actual gradient node?

SD_Gradient_01.png
    Gradient Linear 2 is not really linear... The one that I made with an FX map is, look how different it is
  • NicolasW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Bruno,

For the timing, everything under (or close to) the millisecond is negligible. The difference probably comes from the substance engine warmup.

For the gradient linear 2, indeed it's not linear ;) It's in fact made with the paraboloid pattern. It's one of the first node of SD, I don't really know why it's been given this name...

Cheers
  • JackDCaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackDCaron polycounter lvl 4
    I know it has been brought up before from Mashru and others, but it would be great if SD applied generated noise to the mesh seamlessly regardless of UVs. I feel like both SD and SP are going to replace Mari for me, but this is one feature I hate losing.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think this might be a new bug with the shelf or maybe a move to a single project file (did not see it before) but saved a scene with imported substance designer materials and then closed Painter, re-opened and now there are duplicates of my materials. One can be reloaded, the other cannot. Tried cleaning the project and removing all references to these materials. The re-loadable ones were removed but not the other ones. :( Only way to get rid of them is to go back to when a project was saved without them in it.

EDIT: Tried it on a new scene and did not do it :/
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    So I'm new to Substance Designer, so I don't know if I'm just being a noob, but I have started trying to breakout often used functions into different graphs. While this is easy to do, it is sort of a PITA when I want to go back and edit these functions, because I have to temporarily plug in actual files where the inputs are so I can tell what I'm doing is working properly, and re-attach the inputs when I'm done. This would be fine if it was 1:1, but can be annoying when you have an input feeding into many different nodes.

Am I missing something, of is this how it is? If so, I think it would be useful to be able to specify a file in an input node, or have an in connection on an input node to feed a file through for debugging purposes.
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    @m4dcow : just drop an example bitmap on the input node
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    oblomov wrote: »
    @m4dcow : just drop an example bitmap on the input node

Ah thanks, I knew there must have been some way :)
  • Fabian Fischer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Jerc wrote: »
    This is one of the very next task in our pipe.

What happened to the feature request to rotate the environment with the shift key in Designer, like Painter does it?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    What happened to the feature request to rotate the environment with the shift key in Designer, like Painter does it?
    It still waiting to be done.
  • Owers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owers polycounter lvl 10
    Not sure if it's just me, but it seems the 4.6.2 update has set the Ambient Occlusion input for all material filters to False by default. As a result, all material filter nodes in my substances have had their Ambient Occlusion inputs set to False, even the ones that were set to True before the update. I'm currently going through all my substances and re-enabling Ambient Occlusion in all the material blend nodes I've used. It's not a huge deal, but I nearly didn't notice the issue until I saw my substances generating fully white ambient occlusion maps. Anyone who has used any material filter nodes may want to go through and double-check their substances.