Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First PBR Stylized Dagger!

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys! I've made a dagger based on some cute pbr daggers I saw on here. Here's my attempt. What can I improve on next time?

gesy-bekeyei-screenshot002.jpg?1438457037

gesy-bekeyei-screenshot003.jpg?1438457147

gesy-bekeyei-screenshot006.jpg?1438457519

Replies

• LlamaRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaRider polycounter lvl 8
    Hi, great job on your first PBR model! If you're still open to critiques and changes on this model I would suggest changing color of the gold/brass parts to be a little bit more "goldish" than just a toy yellow tone.
    jKrOMYX.png
    Metal itself is kinda OK but I think it lacks the depth, also the blade seems a little bit too grainy for a stylized metal. And the last thing, AO! This model needs some sweet Ambient Occlusion to destingiush separate parts of the dagger.
    But overall it's a piece of solid game asset, keep it goin' ! :)
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    A nice AO would make this look awesome! I also agree with LlamaRider that you could tweak the colours a little more. Nice work so far :D
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    the Leather is looking a little too much like wood. You can add some clouds on a transparency layer and blend it in to similate oil and sweat. Also maybe a bit more soft wrinkles for material definition. :D
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Your metals are looking a bit too bright. My suggestion: make the diffuse colors darker.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the crits guys! Well noted: more AO next time and more material definition. Actually I did have AO ticked on maximum in MT2 but it didn't add enough. Should I have called an AO map and added it to the material slot?
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    In marmoset toolbag 1.0, ambient occlusion was based off of your model's size, so if the scale for your model was off (1 CM compared to 1 M for instance) the AO might look too heavy or too light.

For PBR, I highly recommend having an occlusion map plugged into your material, also.
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Oh alright then. I'll keep that in mind for my next assets. Thanks :)
  • mrgesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Okay, I went ahead and added some AO to the model and also tinted the yellow metal to look more like gold. Updated it above! :)